Doubling the battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IraqiInvaderGnr

Hello everyone I've been away for quite some time (works been busy...very busy :eek: ) But anyways I've been thinking with this new Battery that's coming out (in May?) I was wondering would it be possible to buy one from Nissan and have it installed alongside the one I currently have in my leaf? I realize it's theoretically possible as Engineer has a aftermarket battery out but is it practically possible as in having it done professionally with the ability to charge anytime the main battery is charging (when it's quick charging as well). I love my leaf and I am wanting to double the range as soon as it's practical. I would not do it without the New battery they have coming out that is more heat resistant. Has anyone had a aftermarket battery installed by the way?

You could remove all the seats in the car and fill it with batteries! ;)
Seriously though, don't you already have 284 Gids (or close to it)?

GregH said:
You could remove all the seats in the car and fill it with batteries! ;)
Seriously though, don't you already have 284 Gids (or close to it)?

Yes, I was thinking back cargo area. I'm not really sure how accurate the 284 Gids are because I have noticed degradation through the winter. Beginning of winter I could go further than I have been able to recently. Shoot even on my Christmas marathon I actually went 84 miles on a single charge in freezing weather (doing 45mph). I'm not complaining of significant range loss just noticeable. The idea behind my thinking was to be able to drive down to Jefferson City, Missouri without needing to charge at Campgrounds. Campgrounds are good and all but are not something to be relied on I believe. Being able to Drive to Kansas City and only having to charge possible once along the way would be a HUGE plus for me and would open up a lot of opportunities.

You'd have to install the entire pack (not just part of it) in order to match the voltage. You could break it up into smaller pieces so that you could fit part of it in the cargo area and the rest in place of the rear seats. You'd probably need to modify the suspension to handle the extra weight. But it should theoretically work.

Anyone that has ever done any proper safe EV building knows this is simply a project for those that have hundreds of hours of time to burn and deep pockets. The other kit mentioned earlier in this thread is unsafe, poorly engineered and a poor implementation that has already left people with disabled cars and fortunately not hurt. If you need more range buy a different vehicle. If you are sure this is going to work please get back to us with photos of your safe, functional, and properly working project and a time and cost list that is honest and not padded with missing days of work like so many EV conversions. This thread will be here when you are done and likely a new LEAF model announcement as well:)

EVDRIVER said:
If you are sure this is going to work please get back to us with photos of your safe, functional, and properly working project and a time and cost list that is honest and not padded with missing days of work like so many EV conversions. )
Having done several EV conversions and Plug-in Hybrid conversions, I'll chime into that and partially agree with you. For a hobbyist in their garage without proper tools, this project would likely take 6 to 12 months to complete. The end result would be of questionable quality.

However, for an expert with a proper machine shop and every tool necessary on hand, this project could be done properly in 1 to 2 weeks.

As for cost... My predictions are that it would cost at least $5,000 for the extra battery pack and then probably another $2,000 in materials. If you were paying somebody to do this, add another couple of thousand for labor. And you'd end up with a 2-seater car that could travel maybe 125 miles on a charge.

There is one issue, of which I'm not entirely sure how to handle. THat is the charging and balancing of the second pack. It's possible it would just work as is, but it might not. It might require a second charger and independent cell balancers.. If so, add more to the cost.

adric22 said:
EVDRIVER said:
If you are sure this is going to work please get back to us with photos of your safe, functional, and properly working project and a time and cost list that is honest and not padded with missing days of work like so many EV conversions. )
Having done several EV conversions and Plug-in Hybrid conversions, I'll chime into that and partially agree with you. For a hobbyist in their garage without proper tools, this project would likely take 6 to 12 months to complete. The end result would be of questionable quality.

However, for an expert with a proper machine shop and every tool necessary on hand, this project could be done properly in 1 to 2 weeks.

As for cost... My predictions are that it would cost at least $5,000 for the extra battery pack and then probably another $2,000 in materials. If you were paying somebody to do this, add another couple of thousand for labor. And you'd end up with a 2-seater car that could travel maybe 125 miles on a charge.

There is one issue, of which I'm not entirely sure how to handle. THat is the charging and balancing of the second pack. It's possible it would just work as is, but it might not. It might require a second charger and independent cell balancers.. If so, add more to the cost.

$5000? for what type of pack, BMS? How will it be enclosed and cooled? Charged? I think you estimates are accurate but not two weeks for someone with experience without help, there is considerable design time involved. Regardless the alternatives are better.

EVDRIVER said:
$5000? for what type of pack, BMS? How will it be enclosed and cooled? Charged? I think you estimates are accurate but not two weeks for someone with experience without help, there is considerable design time involved. Regardless the alternatives are better.
The $5,000 was based on Nissan Leaf battery packs available on ebay.

First it can be done and has been done. 2nd, Valery has already put a 38kwh extra pack into the new Rav's with no special cooling even though testing is still going on, shows that anything is possible

Anything can be done and we engineered up the Brusa charger system in only a few months (I first bought the Leaf less then a year ago, knew no one on this forum, met everyone here, started talking to the right people and made things happen and within 2 month I had the 1st fully functioning AUTO and CAN bus secondary charger every) followed by many others... :cool:

It all depends on how dedicated you are ;)

P.S. And I remember the negativity when we started our project.. :roll: and arguments.. "Don't do it, not worth it, you'll kill yourself, etc,etc,etc blah blah blah."

And funny thing is.. we can charge faster on a J1772 then a line of 3 Leaf's waiting at a single CHAdeMO station :lol:
mp5RmrI.gif

JasonA said:
It all depends on how dedicated you are ;)

Well, you do need some skills too. Or deep pockets, and find someone willing to do the work for you. And there is definitely a dearth of folks who are willing to do this kind of work for hire.

Even though guys like you are willing to provide guidance (and kudos for that), there are a lot of folks here who wouldn't consider tackling such a job.

Possible, but adding 400lb more will need new rear springs, and if possible - remove some weight - like rear seats, anyway will have to open some space for the battery.
I think the easiest way will be to add the second battery and to switch the cables (with relay). In parallel will be harder to do.

Back