Don't bother with the cargo net

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

If you're thinking of getting the cargo net, I wouldn't bother. Or, at least, don't expect much. In my Prius the cargo net stretches the whole width of the trunk, but in the LEAF it's really nothing more than a cargo "pocket" you can fit about 1 bag groceries in there - that's it. The good news is it wasn't a high priced accesory, so...

Second the motion - quite a waste (I was also expecting something like the one in my Audi - covers almost the entire floor of the trunk).

In my opinion, after seeing and actually holding a "cargo net", it will NOT hold a bag of groceries, but more like two bananas and a pair of gloves. Essentially useless, IMO.

garygid said:
In my opinion, after seeing and actually holding a "cargo net", it will NOT hold a bag of groceries, but more like two bananas and a pair of gloves. Essentially useless, IMO.

Bananas and a pair of gloves, interesting combo.

EDIT: Sorry, my description might be inaccurate, perhaps not recognizing the appropriate "spandex factor".

As I recall, the "net" is just a coarse-mesh net "pouch" (might have been so course that a golf ball might work its way through the mesh, but would not hold marbles). About 14" long and only about 5" or 6" high, it will only hold a few "small" (not bulky) items. When I saw it, my immediate reaction was, "This is a joke, right?"

Holding the Nissan-supplied L1 EVSE and its attached cord - No.

Holding one mediun length or smaller gauge extension cord is likely possible, but a 100-foot cord would most probably not fit.

IMO, better to buy some suitably-sized plastic stacking "containers" (with lids), perhaps from a place like WalMart.

I have found one use for it. After putting the rest of the groceries in the back, you can fit one or two gallons of milk in the cargo net. It stops them from sliding around and pulverizing the other groceries.

It did fit 2 bottles of wine coming back from wine country today, but then again we rarely come back from wine country with only 2 bottles, so its still a fail! :lol:

garygid said:
Two gallons of milk?
Sorry, there must have been more "spandex" in that net than I realized.
One size fits all?
It is reasonably stretchy. When I said one bag of groceries, what I mean is it will stretch enough to wrap around the bottom of a bag and hold it in place. It certainly won't enclose the whole bag, so if it's top heavy you might still have problems...

Yes, the option adds two anchor points at the rear-most facing part of the trunk. So if you were to buy a cargo net from someone, you'd need to make sure that it includes those anchor points that screw into the already existing holes.

net.jpg

Seems it is to keep a few small items in place. Stick a low profile non-skid plastic box in the back for groceries and other items, it works well.

In college I had a car the burned about a quart of oil per month, and I always had a quart of oil in the car in case I needed to add some. This would be great for holding that extra quart of oil and keep it from sliding around in the cargo area. In the Leaf's case, perhaps its a quart of water for the driver. In my current car I seem to keep a couple of bottles of water (for when I'm finished with my runs) on the floor for the rear passenger seats. Perhaps this net in the back would be a better place to keep them. I did not order the net, so I guess I'm back to keeping them on the floor behind the passenger seat.

Back