Do you want to pitch in and buy a LEAF battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Folks, a new pack for the LEAF today is under $6K. So not so bad in parts cost.
EVDRIVER said:
In fact it is about $5K for an entire pack, that is not modules but the entire pack assembly. The info is accurate. Of course this does not include labor.
Thanks for that info! You used the word "cost," so I am guessing this is Nissan's manufacturing cost. Do you have an idea what the price is if we were to buy one?

Also, wouldn't the labor to replace the entire pack be somewhat LOWER than replacing a module?

palmermd said:
EVDRIVER said:
Pizza bet? You may need to sign an NDA so consider that before I consider toppings.

Why would you need an NDA in order to know the cost of spare parts for my car?

I need one to supply info to win a Pizza bet. I have never lost a Pizza bet for the record.

EVDRIVER said:
palmermd said:
EVDRIVER said:
Pizza bet? You may need to sign an NDA so consider that before I consider toppings.

Why would you need an NDA in order to know the cost of spare parts for my car?

You don't. I need one to supply info to win a Pizza bet. I have never lost a Pizza bet for the record.

I remember quite well all the pizza bets you won on the other site. I usually saw things your way on most of them. I'm not sure I can say that in this situation. But given your track record I would not bet against you. But I would not put pizza down on your side either.

It's really not so hard to believe unless one thinks the price of a car is the sum of the cost of all its parts from the dealer parts counter making a LEAF about $150K plus. However you can't just go order one right now unless your car is in the shop.

EVDRIVER said:
It's really not so hard to believe unless one thinks the price of a car is the sum of the cost of all its parts from the dealer parts counter making a LEAF about $150K plus. However you can't just go order one right now unless your car is in the shop.

I've been following the price of cells pretty closely and the bottom rate seems to be about $1 per AH. This is true for several brands of both cylindrical, pouch and prismatic form factor. So since the leaf has 192 pouch cells that are 33 AH. That would be $33*192 = $6336 for just the pouches. This does not include the module boxes and interconnection hardware nor the BMS circuitry. But let's assume economies of scale let Nissan get the entire pack down to this price. So perhaps you are close. I'd say just over $6000 is a reasonable guess.

palmermd said:
EVDRIVER said:

I've been following the price of cells pretty closely and the bottom rate seems to be about $1 per AH. This is true for several brands of both cylindrical, pouch and prismatic form factor. So since the leaf has 192 pouch cells that are 33 AH. That would be $33*192 = $6336 for just the pouches. This does not include the module boxes and interconnection hardware nor the BMS circuitry. But let's assume economies of scale let Nissan get the entire pack down to this price. So perhaps you are close. I'd say just over $6000 is a reasonable guess.

I have a retail price of a hair under $5K. It may be subsidized but that is the price. It may also only be available as a replacement and not sold over the counter. Makes sense.

You'll get no pizza from me, young man. Remember, we've talked at length, and I know your level of knowledge in these matters. On the flip side, I also know your snarky sense of humor, and it is sometimes hard to differentiate fact from snark when it comes to your posts.

So if you know that Nissan is retailing the packs at $5k, I'll take your word for it. Particularly as you've now proffered the additional information that they're taking a hit on each one. THEN $5k starts to make sense.

mwalsh said:
You'll get no pizza from me, young man. Remember, we've talked at length, and I know your level of knowledge in these matters. On the flip side, I also know your snarky sense of humor, and it is sometimes hard to differentiate fact from snark when it comes to your posts.

So if you know that Nissan is retailing the packs at $5k, I'll take your word for it. Particularly as you've now proffered the additional information that they're taking a hit on each one. THEN $5k starts to make sense.

I know that the retail price is $5K from a good source that bought one, I do not know if Nissan makes that artificially low as I only offer that as a thought. The LEAF is a very expensive car for what it is so It is no surprise the cost of the car may carry the weight of making replacement packs affordable. Personally I see it as good news and hope that in a few years the cost is far less.

EVDRIVER said:
Personally I see it as good news and hope that in a few years the cost is far less.
This is, indeed, very good news! I can certainly see Nissan setting the price for the battery above their current cost but below their projected future cost.

So does this make the braking hydraulic assembly the most expensive item on the LEAF? That thing really SCARES me and makes me glad we purchased the extended warranty!

EVDRIVER said:
mwalsh said:

I know that the retail price is $5K from a good source that bought one, I do not know if Nissan makes that artificially low as I only offer that as a thought. The LEAF is a very expensive car for what it is so It is no surprise the cost of the car may carry the weight of making replacement packs affordable. Personally I see it as good news and hope that in a few years the cost is far less.

Well, I'd love to believe the replacement cost of a LEAF battery pack today (including labor) is around ~$6K.

But until someone actually gets one replaced at their local Nissan dealer, I will remain skeptical.

I do think a replacement cost in this range excludes any benefit from complex and energy consuming ATM battery cooling for all BEVs, except perhaps for BEVs in the very hottest climates and/or those with frequent repeated QC use.

And I think Nissan's strategy to get battery prices this low through mass-production (eventually if not today) if successful, will probably lead to obsolescence of not only ATM battery cooling, but the entire concept of the ICE for vehicle traction power.

EVDRIVER said:
I have a retail price of a hair under $5K. It may be subsidized but that is the price. It may also only be available as a replacement and not sold over the counter. Makes sense.

So you think this may be a "trade in" price? The old pack would have some value presumably and like alternators and such you get a better price if you bring the old one to the table.

mwalsh said:
I had no illusions it was including labor. But part only...I can certainly live with that.

Edatoakrun

Well, I'd love to believe the replacement cost of a LEAF battery pack today (including labor) is around ~$6K.

I know a few repaired LEAFs had battery pack removal and replacement at varying very high cost, but do you think $1k labor is not in the ballpark for labor for a replacement?

Nissan is also going to have to give a trade-in or core credit for the used packs, which would reduce the net cost further.

I'd pay $thousands myself to have a LEAF seven or eight capacity bar "degraded" battery for use in my home, both for grid power back-up, and for (PG&E TOU rate) kWh resale.

edatoakrun said:
I do think a replacement cost in this range excludes any benefit from complex and energy consuming ATM battery cooling for all BEVs, except perhaps for BEVs in the very hottest climates and/or those with frequent repeated QC use
Hold your horses. A TMS should be of little relevance in most of California, as the majority of these cars lives close to the coast. Yet many of us are seeing significant decline in autonomy, perhaps on the order of 7 to 10% per year. This cannot be explained by the lack of TMS alone.

Bringing the cost of the battery down to this level could be very important, crucial even, for the transition to EVs. However, unless Nissan starts building larger packs with longer range for the US market, I doubt that the car will see the wide acceptance it aspires to and we want to see. Not if it loses range at this rate in moderate climates.

Anecdotal as they are, there are too many reports about the LEAF not having enough range to comfortably cover all the typical use cases that life in a major metropolitan area entails. Yes, infrastructue build up will help, but we are not there yet.

The 6 kW onboard charger will help as well, but let's see how much it will cost. And lastly, Nissan needs to work to build trust with buyers. This begins with marketing and ends with warranty work. I doubt that any of us are expecting handouts, but a fair and staightforward handling of issues that come up should be a given.

At the implied battery cost, I'm surprised that they won't offer a special level of the extended warranty, which would include traction battery capacity coverage. Tesla pioneered this approach when it started offering prepaid pack replacement for the Roadster. The cost was $12K for a 50 kW battery, which was allegedly subsidized as well.

edatoakrun said:
I know a few repaired LEAFs had battery pack removal and replacement at varying very high cost, but do you think $1k labor is not in the ballpark for labor for a replacement?
Ed, did they replace the battery pack or the modules within the pack? Replacing the pack should be straightforward since it is fully connectorized and is a bolt-in unit. In fact, if I understood Nissan's manufacturing video properly, they install the battery on the assembly line in place of the gasoline tank that is installed on other vehicles on that line.

I would think $1000 would be sufficient to swap out the pack and reset the codes. Replacing modules should not be done in the shop unless only one is bad.

A pack was replaced at a retail cost just below $5K, it is not modules its a full assembly, which could not be very difficult as there are no cooling lines. The service manual outlines this procedure in detail. I have personally swapped a water cooled pack from under an EV on my own without a lift so I can't see labor being to high to replace the pack. I don't know if there is a core deposit (speculation now) but that does not impact the pack cost as it would be a deposit.

EVDRIVER said:
A pack was replaced at a retail cost just below $5K, it is not modules its a full assembly, which could not be very difficult as there are no cooling lines. The service manual outlines this procedure in detail. I have personally swapped a water cooled pack from under an EV on my own without a lift so I can't see labor being to high to replace the pack. I don't know if there is a core deposit (speculation now) but that does not impact the pack cost as it would be a deposit.

Was this was the regular retail cost available today for all LEAF owners, or a specific offer/adjustment for a single owner?

Why was the pack replacement charged for, and not replaced under warranty?

Back