Do you turn your EVSE off?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eloxxd said:
I'm wondering, what happens if you plug in the Leaf using the "official" Nissan AV charger?
Does it start charging immediately or do you first have to press the start button?
I don't know. I don't have an AeroVironment. There is no "charge start" button on the Schneider, just an on/off button, which I leave "on" all the time. I have not touched the Schneider since it was installed almost a year ago.

eloxxd said:
How is the starting behavior of the Schneider one?
If neither of the LEAF's charging timers are in effect, when you plug it in, the car starts charging, just like your cell phone.

If one of the LEAF's charging timers is in effect, and the current time is outside of its charge start/charge end time window, both the LEAF and the charging station will click and blink to signal that they're "ready to charge" but no charging will happen until the charge start time arrives. If you want to charge immediately, press the "charge timer override" button in the car and charging will start immediately.

If one of the LEAF's charging timers is in effect, and the current time is within its charge start/charge end time window, charging will start immediately.

I too never touch my Schneider EVSE. I do believe it has a charge delay feature - I can set it to not start for between 1 and 8 hours - but I've never tested that. The same timer "lights" also tell you how long it has been charging. When I enter the garage in the morning I can see at a glance that I charged for (about) 1, 2, or 3 hours (it'll go to 8, but I never drive that much, plus I think the LEAF woundn't go to 8).

The car does appear to "check" that there is power when initially plugged in (and has a timer pending). This, i believe, is well documented elsewhere.

Back