Discuss data from the LEAF Battery app, and Comparisons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
So do I have a crap battery pack, or what is the opinion of the brain trust?
Impossible to tell. Drain the battery to turtle, then charge to 100% and measure energy from the wall. 24 kWh+ and you have a good battery.

KJD said:
This was down from low 80's last night before parking the car, but not as low as I had hoped for. It seems that the low overnight temps do cool the pack some, but I have never seen pack temp as low as overnight low temp here.
For the pack to reach the overnight low, it would require active cooling or the car to spend a lot of time at the low temperature. There's just too much mass and insulation in the battery pack.

As ed mentions, keeping the car in the coolest location possible will result in the lowest pack temperatures. If you can get your pack down to mid-upper 60s at the start of every day which keeps the pack in the 80s by the end of the day, you're not doing too bad.

Right now I'm now starting the day in the mid-upper 70s and finishing the day in the upper 70s. Previous summers put me in constant 6-bar temps so I imagine that meant upper 70s to 80s.

drees said:
Boomer23 said:
So do I have a crap battery pack, or what is the opinion of the brain trust?
Impossible to tell. Drain the battery to turtle, then charge to 100% and measure energy from the wall. 24 kWh+ and you have a good battery.

That very test is under way. News at 11 (in the morning :D )

Boomer23 said:
That very test is under way. News at 11 (in the morning :D )
Do we take any bets? I predict 24.2 kWh based on estimated 0.90 efficiency factor and 21.84 kWh expended.

kWh used to recharge from Turtle was 25.3.

CAP% was up to 96.16% and AH was up to 63.71.

It looks like the BMS and the pack are getting to know each other better and the car is learning. I'm encouraged.

What was the real GIDs reading?

CAP is derived from Ah and a number that you set
in the app's Settings, right?

Since we do not have a lot of experience with Ah,
it is difficult to say what normal-new should be.

garygid said:

Real Gids after the charge were 276.

Real Gid reading has climbed steadily on successive 100% charges: 263 at the dealer, then 267, 271 and now 276.

Boomer23 said:
garygid said:

Real Gids after the charge were 276.

Real Gid reading has climbed steadily on successive 100% charges: 263 at the dealer, then 267, 271 and now 276.

Nice! getting there..
and yeah, Gary is right.. On the Android app CAP is just Ah/66.25 (although you can change the 66.25 to whatever you like). A better number might be the health % found in the Group 1 active data and documented on the Active CAN sampling thread in CANBus..

mwalsh said:
Ah...here's the thread I was looking for.

Just lost my bar 12 this weekend. App data (default) was 54.07AHr 81.61 CAP before loosing it and 54.01AHr 81.52% CAP after.
Wow.. so 54Ah seems to be the trigger point for losing the 12th bar? Do you have access to the health % in the group 1 data? It would be interesting to see if Ah or health is a better indicator of battery degradation..
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13247

GregH said:
mwalsh said:

Just lost my bar 12 this weekend. App data (default) was 54.07AHr 81.61 CAP before loosing it and 54.01AHr 81.52% CAP after.
Wow.. so 54Ah seems to be the trigger point for losing the 12th bar?
For me it was quite a bit higher: 55.62 Ahr. (83.95% CAP with default setting) when I lost my 12th. And I haven't gotten the 12th bar back since gaining 7% CAP with the update on Friday. CAP is now drifting down from 90%.

nogajim said:
GregH said:
mwalsh said:

Wow.. so 54Ah seems to be the trigger point for losing the 12th bar?
For me it was quite a bit higher: 55.62 Ahr. (83.95% CAP with default setting) when I lost my 12th. And I haven't gotten the 12th bar back since gaining 7% CAP with the update on Friday. CAP is now drifting down from 90%.
Wow.. 54 to 55.6Ah is a pretty big spread..

Here is mine as of today. I guess I don't quite understand what the shunts (or shunt order) mean or why so many would appear to be on...

s2zapt.png

i6jfxf.png

My first charge to 100% after installing the ELM device on my 11-bar Leaf was this morning. Here are screenshots from the app:

Screenshot_2013-06-25-07-41-13_zpsb0005c72.jpg

Screenshot_2013-06-25-07-40-53_zps3f5d3d90.jpg

Ran it down to VLBW after 65 miles of driving, and took these screenshots right after the GOM went to "---":

Screenshot_2013-06-25-17-24-21_zps298828bd.jpg

Screenshot_2013-06-25-17-21-39_zps1934d5b8.jpg

Seems to me that the 'Gids are high for being at VLBW, no?

TT

ttweed said:

TT

Hold on a second, you've got 14 percent SOC and the app says that you have almost 3 kwh left. Seems to me that's high for VLBW. If you ran it down to Turtle at 4.3 mi/kWh, you'd have about 11 more miles of range. It seems to me that your pack is saving quite some reserve below VLBW.

Any of our battery gurus agree?

mwalsh said:
ttweed said:

Simulated Gids in the app appear to run slightly high compared to real Gids. At least when I compare the app to data coming out of my original Gidometer.

My observation is that simulated Gids are quite close to Real Gids (TM) at full charge, and they seem to diverge as the SOC drops, with simulated Gids being higher than Real Gids.

Back