Discuss data from the LEAF Battery app, and Comparisons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mksE55 said:
KJD said:
How do you do a screen capture on android ? Is that a built in function or something extra ?
usually the home button and the power button push at the same time. does take a few tries some times. but works. check youtube for your model if that doesnt work they all do it.
If you are running Jelly Bean on your device, you press and hold the "volume down" and the "power" buttons at the same time. The screenshot is automatically saved to a folder in your Gallery.

TT

ttweed said:
mksE55 said:
KJD said:
How do you do a screen capture on android ? Is that a built in function or something extra ?
usually the home button and the power button push at the same time. does take a few tries some times. but works. check youtube for your model if that doesnt work they all do it.
If you are running Jelly Bean on your device, you press and hold the "volume down" and the "power" buttons at the same time. The screenshot is automatically saved to a folder in your Gallery.

TT

It's the biggest pain in the arse of any device I think I've ever owned. Half that time I get a capture that includes the volume display right in the middle of it. Yes, you push both simultaneously, but the timing has to be right, down to the micro-second.

drees said:
mxp said:
Can someone help explain my numbers? Thanks!

2011 Leaf SL (July 1, 2011 pickup)
3 days a week 100% charge (overnight); other days 80%.
20k miles ODO

Data below taken after 100% overnight charge, about 8am:
80def F
AHr=58.84 CAP=88.81%
91.5% SOC 242 gids
Looks pretty normal for a 2 year old LEAF in the warm side of the Bay Area...

Thanks drees. Is there a way to tell from the numbers when will I likely lose the top bar ?

mxp said:
Thanks drees. Is there a way to tell from the numbers when will I likely lose the top bar ?
batteryproblemmnl

I think you are talking to the right person, drees was first to formulate a prediction based on the Ah value. If I recall correctly, the idea was that this would happen around 55 Ah battery capacity, but subsequent reports indicated that there is some fluctuation around the value.

here is a few more points in time, the last one is right at LBW , I pulled off and tagged it. if anyone can make suggestions on where I am at, it feels like I am about to lose another bar. now this last full charge to LWB was 39 miles and 4 showing at 3.1 kWh

9169349576_4c2a077d5f.jpg

9167131649_e377ab55ac.jpg

GregH said:
LEAFfan said:
I found out that when my highest TS was 103.5F, it showed the 8th bar. Ambient was 117F.
8th or 7th? I've been up to 100F and still had 6 bars.

Your highest TS was 100F when you still had 6 bars or the ambient was 100F?
Mine moves from the 7th to the 8th TB at 103.5F.

LEAFfan said:
GregH said:
LEAFfan said:
I found out that when my highest TS was 103.5F, it showed the 8th bar. Ambient was 117F.
8th or 7th? I've been up to 100F and still had 6 bars.

Your highest TS was 100F when you still had 6 bars or the ambient was 100F?
Mine moves from the 7th to the 8th TB at 103.5F.
My max temp got really close to 37C yesterday with no 7th TB.. I hope I don't see it but I'll keep an eye out!

For the last year I've suspected I have a bad cell pair. The car does not have the range it did. I got this Leaf battery app a couple weeks ago and I've noticed it has about a 30mv difference when charged to 80% (which is where we normally charge to). Cell 28 is always the low cell pair. My wife drives the car primarily, so I don't have lots of data, but today we took a trip to low battery. Parked in the garage at home with 6 miles showing. Grabed the android in the house and turned the car back on. It was at VLB after restarting. Car showing 60mv spread and cell 28 was again the culpret.

20130629-181108.jpg

20130629-181118.jpg

palmermd said:
For the last year I've suspected I have a bad cell pair. The car does not have the range it did. I got this Leaf battery app a couple weeks ago and I've noticed it has about a 30mv difference when charged to 80% (which is where we normally charge to). Cell 28 is always the low cell pair. My wife drives the car primarily, so I don't have lots of data, but today we took a trip to low battery. Parked in the garage at home with 6 miles showing. Grabed the android in the house and turned the car back on. It was at VLB after restarting. Car showing 60mv spread and cell 28 was again the culpret.
Looks basically the same as my car. For me CP 24 is the low one. But I don't think the CP is bad - I think the pack just isn't all that well balanced because I rarely charge to 100% 1-2x / month and when I do I don't let the car sit for long if it sits at all. When fully charged, CP 24 is still the lowest. See my last post here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=306119#p306119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep those look just like mine. I did a few 100 percent charges befor and it did not seem to make a difference. Same short range. I'll have to try it again now that I can put some numbers to the test via this app.

palmermd said:
Yep those look just like mine. I did a few 100 percent charges befor and it did not seem to make a difference. Same short range. I'll have to try it again now that I can put some numbers to the test via this app.
Yeah, I tried letting it sit at 100% for a few hours but didn't see that much of a difference. Now that it's summer I don't really want to subject my pack to any undue stress, either. Maybe when it cools off again I'll try it. I'm kind of hoping that the P3227 update improves the pack balancing behavior. We'll see, only had mine done the other day and no significant change yet. It looks like a well balanced pack has CP max-min values around 10 mV (see this on either new cars or cars regularly charged to 100%) compared to the 20-30 mV I typically see.

Is the "low" cell-pair (at low SOC) also low at high SOc, or is it
one of the high CPs?
If low, the Pack is not getting equalized, it might appear,
but if high, then that cell might be a LCCP (Low Capacity Cell Pair).

At 100% the difference is in the teens, at 80% which is where I normally charge to it is in the 20's, and at low SOC it is nearing 100mV (saw over 100mV last night when we got home). To me it seems like that one pair is what is limiting the entire pack. It sort of happened suddenly last spring. I had a drive I took every month that always had me home with a dozen or more miles remaining, and then one day I could not even make the trip and I was short by dozens of miles. I ended up driving 35mph in order to make it. Full charges from VLB is about 16kWh from the wall. Pack still says I'm at 90% capacity, and I have all 12 bars, but range is severely limited. I've had to take the Prius on this monthly trip since. I've tried it twice in the past year, and each time I've had to drive MUCH slower than I did before AND i'm charging on 120v while I'm there which I did not do before.

Interesting that the #28 is at the voltage where VLB occurs and I got VLB even though the other cells are well above. The other interesting thing is that the first half of the pack is scattered and slightly less than the second half of the pack which has more consistent voltages and they average higher. Sorry about the bad picture that I should have taken at the 100mV scale, but here is what I have from the other evening 107 during the day and it was still in the 90's at 11:30 when I got home hence the high pack temperatures.

20130701-175837.jpg

So, I just installed the beta version of the App and was very surprised to find a Health reading of 67.11%! Anyone car to conjecture what that might mean?

My AHr is at 54.30 and my cell imbalance is 12Mv.

TomT said:
So, I just installed the beta version of the App and was very surprised to find a Health reading of 67.11%! Anyone car to conjecture what that might mean?

My AHr is at 54.30 and my cycle imbalance is 12Mv.
Wow! That's a scary number.. I have seen deviation with lower capacity cars between the Ah (or Ah/66.25) and the Health. TickTock's car showed similar numbers (mentioned in the Capacity vs. Health thread). Cars with low Ah capacity have dramatically low health. Not sure why.

edit: TickTock's was 49.3443Ah 68.56%

Haven't read the whole thread. I'm using the Leaf battery app w OBDII bluetooth adapter.
Does the SOC% matter when looking at the capacity? Are you supposed to do something to get a more accurate capacity reading, such as run it to LBW or VLBW? Does it matter if you charge to 80% or 100% before checking capacity?

Just leased the car end of May. First measured 6/21, said 63.39AHr (95.67%). Now on 7/5 its reading 61.67Ahr (93.08%).

Is this normal capacity drop? Silly me was hoping for something closer to 100% at the start.

GregH said:
TomT said:

My AHr is at 54.30 and my cycle imbalance is 12Mv.
Wow! That's a scary number.. I have seen deviation with lower capacity cars between the Ah (or Ah/66.25) and the Health. TickTock's car showed similar numbers (mentioned in the Capacity vs. Health thread). Cars with low Ah capacity have dramatically low health. Not sure why.

edit: TickTock's was 49.3443Ah 68.56%
And now I'm down to 45.64Ah and 62.8%. Still 9 capacity bars...

dm33 said:
Haven't read the whole thread. I'm using the Leaf battery app w OBDII bluetooth adapter.
Does the SOC% matter when looking at the capacity? Are you supposed to do something to get a more accurate capacity reading, such as run it to LBW or VLBW? Does it matter if you charge to 80% or 100% before checking capacity?

Just leased the car end of May. First measured 6/21, said 63.39AHr (95.67%). Now on 7/5 its reading 61.67Ahr (93.08%).

Is this normal capacity drop? Silly me was hoping for something closer to 100% at the start.

Looks normal. Mine was 63AH new at the end of FEB, now 60AH. The capacity % on the old App version is the same as the AH. The new App version has 'Health' which I believe is supposed to be the actual capacity%.

Back