Deciding btw 2015 Leaf SV vs SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupidchild

I'm trying to decide between 2015 SV vs. SL model.
Is it worth the extra money for what you are getting ? (I probably don't have use for Quick charge in my area, but LED and leather is nice)

I'm also assuming that people which 17" wheel on SL model has less total mileage range due to extra weight?

Is also premium package worth the extra money? Around View® Monitor useful?

FWIW: Nissan rates the range and efficiency the same with 16" and 17" wheels, so I don't think it's a huge difference. On the 17" wheels, the tires are shorter, so you have less rubber weight. It sort of balances out, but not exactly.

I love my Around View, but it's something you could live without. The best part about it is when parallel parking, it makes it so much easier.

I went with the SL with the premium package... I am not sure if there is much of a difference in the LED lights between the SV and SL.... But I did want the leather... With dogs I have found leather to keep clean easier. Also, although there are not quick charge stations in my area currently I am hearing that at least one Nissan dealer in our area is looking at putting in a QC station. One never knows when you may need a 10 minute charge to get you home.... The fog lights were not a must have for me nor were the 17" wheels... Although the wheels do look great...

By the way I have no regrets on my Leaf purchase. I bought it about 4 weeks ago. I was also considering a Volt or a !3 with REX... I drive between 50 and 70 miles a day. I have yet to get below 40% of the battery charge remaining.... It's an amazing vehicle.

I think you are going to see split opinions. Mine was cost-sensitive decision so went with an SV. I wanted the QC/LED headlight pkg but don't have a QC station within 100 miles so had the same opinion on the extra port. With the 6.6 kW charger, a home L2 EVSE is more than effective for daily use. The base halogen headlights aren't as white-crisp as the LED's but no worse that any other car I've owned. I didn't think the premium pkg was worth the money.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm leaning towards SL since I can get VPP Pricing.
Is the fog light led as well? Or halogen bulb?

Premium pkg is just the speakers and extra cameras? For $1500?

Holographic kick plate - probably cheaper to purchase after and install it myself, right?

What you really want are the charge and premium packages; SL or SV. Quick charging makes road trips possible (if not super convenient!) and the around view you get with the premium package is amazing. I kick myself every day for not getting the premium package on my SV. I want that camera even more with an electric car because I often find myself trying to squirm my car up close to things to get near a plug. Plus, the Leaf is really a city car. Most of your time is going to be spent parking, where you want a bad-ass camera system, not sitting on a freeway where it doesn't matter.

cupidchild said:
Is the fog light led as well? Or halogen bulb?

Premium pkg is just the speakers and extra cameras? For $1500?

Holographic kick plate - probably cheaper to purchase after and install it myself, right?
The fog light is not LED.

I love my premium package. The cameras are awesome, but I mostly got it for the speaker upgrade.

Kick plates… probably 1/10 the cost to DIY

LeftieBiker said:
I'm also assuming that people which 17" wheel on SL model has less total mileage range due to extra weight?

??? I love it when people post with portable devices...

My thought process was. 17" wheel heavier than 16" wheel so the total range will diminish.
Not sure what portable device has anything to do with the statement I made. Can you clarify?
thx

cupidchild said:
LeftieBiker said:

??? I love it when people post with portable devices...

My thought process was. 17" wheel heavier than 16" wheel so the total range will diminish.
Not sure what portable device has anything to do with the statement I made. Can you clarify?
thx

Maybe English isn't your first language?

the original sentence isn't grammatically correct and is hard to parse. He assumed it was do to spellchecker autocorrection but maybe it's just the word choices you made mentally.

We got an SL and love the BOSE system... though I mostly wanted the solar panel that tops off the 12v Battery. Had read stories about the failure of the 12 v stranding folks.

The surprise feature was the all around cameras. I love it and my teenage son really loved it as he tried to learn to park. Really makes parking and low speed driving simple.

The leather was the feature I didn't need but also love it.

Get the SL. You wont regret it. but if you don't you might.

It's not easy to find a nice car with cloth seats. That was the draw for me in the SV. Mine seems to have everything else that might be on an SL (except the solar panel): QC, Bose, top view, LED headlights. My only wish for the car is DRLs -- I can understand that they would cost something in range, but they make one safer.

raleedy said:
It's not easy to find a nice car with cloth seats. That was the draw for me in the SV. Mine seems to have everything else that might be on an SL (except the solar panel): QC, Bose, top view, LED headlights. My only wish for the car is DRLs -- I can understand that they would cost something in range, but they make one safer.

Leaf does not have have LED DRL? Does 2015 model have this? Its seems like every new car in the market now has LED DRL.

jsongster said:
We got an SL and love the BOSE system... though I mostly wanted the solar panel that tops off the 12v Battery. Had read stories about the failure of the 12 v stranding folks.

Please tell me more about the stories of failure of 12v stranding folks?
Solar panel is just for electrical system for the leaf or does it recharge leaf's main battery and assist in getting better range?

I saw Mercedes B-class EV had Range Package for $600 which includes:
Temporary range extender -> A suite of options to further increase your driving range includes added insulation of the doors and roof for to increase climate-control efficiency, along with an electrically heated windshield and a range-extending charge function. By pressing a button on the console prior to charging, the maximum charge level of the battery will increased for the next charge cycle. The higher-capacity charge can provide up to approximately 17 additional miles of range.
Electrically heated windshield

Not really sure why every user would not want 17 additional mile by getting high-capacity charge everytime. (I guess it might reduce the life of the battery if you over change everytime?)

Back