Dealer quick charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpodoll

Will dealers be able to quick charge a Leaf that doesn't have the quick charge port?

Which brings back to the surface ... what happens to an owner/lessee living far from the nearest LEAF certified dealer needing a full charge to get back home ? Hang around the dealer for 8 hours after the service ? *AND* try to drive home same day ?

Complimentary flatbed pickup/delivery ?

(e.g. LakeLeaf might be in that situation.)

Not all dealers have 3 phase power, and the DC fast charger (Nissan's version) costs $18K, not many would invest in that, even if they had 3 phase power available.

If your route take you from San Diego through L A there will be level 3 chargers along I-5 every 40 miles

With chargers at dealers, best buys, costco's, home depots, and many shopping malls just for starts, I think the prevalance of chargers will make it fairly easy to charge once you reach your destination. Think that there will be designated charging station parking spots, a great place for municipalities to raise revenue ticketing people who park there who shouldn't.

Ok ... let me try my question again.

I have an SV LEAF (no QC).
I live 75 or 100 miles from the dealership.
I need to come in for service (warranty repair, minor adjustment, the annual battery check-up, whatever).
I leave home at 7am.
I get to the dealer nearly "empty" around 9am (two+ hours drive door to door with traffic or due to needing to "hypermile").
The service is done by 10:00am (good luck!), probably later.
The LEAF now needs to charge for 8 hours (3.3kW limitation, remember?). Hope there's no "congestion" around the chargers !
Possibility I could leave as early as 6pm, with lots of luck. Get home by 8pm.

Hope it works out that well.

Any dealer willing to pick-up/deliver my LEAF ? Possibly overnight with a loaner delivered to my house ?

How will this be addressed ? All those charging stations you mention ... they don't really help me ... I can't save any time. And I certainly don't want to make it an overnight trip !

(Not trying to be "mean" or criticize ... just wondered if this has been thought out.)

We really haven't thought about that one much in San Diego given that from just about any point int the county you are close to within 20 miles of a dealership.

There are also several Nissan dealers in the Boston area as well, I don't think anyone is more than 25-30 miles from a dealer around here. In reality, this is a car that will be sold to urban and suburban drivers, and probably not many "country folks"...

LakeLeaf is one in the situation I described, I believe. Another: abasile (?Big Bear) ? Not sure about them having QC option (and a QC spot along their trek home). I also seem to remember someone on the far up NorCal coast.

LEAFer said:
I have an SV LEAF (no QC).
...snip...
All those charging stations you mention ... they don't really help me ... I can't save any time.
I guess what you're asking is: "Will the service department have any way to quick-charge the pack when it is disconnected from the car?" I doubt the Nissan QC will have the charge control circuitry to do this in-built. A fixture could be built which connects between the QC connector and the pack connector(s), but will it? I don't know. This is a question for a trained LEAF service tech.

No ... I'm really asking whether the service department at a Nissan LEAF-certifed dealer has realized how long the hold-up/inconvenience is for an owner bringing the LEAF in for service when he/she lives far away. Even if you have the SL with QC, most dealers don't have QC ability; all charging is L2. And if you live far away enough in an area that is not an early QC roll-out area (like highway 50 Sacramento to Tahoe; but many others) ...

So, similar to the perk and convenience of getting a loaner for your ICE car during its (usually much shorter) service appointment, with the slow charging and longer distance for those (few) particular customers, will the LEAF dealer do pick-up/delivery ? THAT's my question. (Or what other solution have they thought of ?)

Seems no different than any other trip the owner makes.. if you are going further than "half range", you have to figure charging time into your trip. No way around that.

LEAFer said:
I get to the dealer nearly "empty" around 9am (two+ hours drive door to door with traffic or due to needing to "hypermile").
The service is done by 10:00am (good luck!), probably later.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

in by 9a and out at 10a :lol: you have to be kidding

You better leave at 5a to get in by 7a if you want service and charge by 6p
If not 100% you just plan on a dinner and movie half way home

Dang what a day that will be :(

More directly -- I wouldn't buy the car if there wasn't a Nissan dealer within 50 miles of home. Seriously. If the car turns out to need a lot of service, for whatever reason, that could totally wreck your day. I would want to be in and out of there pronto.

The local Nissan dealers are actually pretty good about this. If you tell them you're waiting in the lobby, hanging out on WiFi, they give your car priority. It can be very fast, especially if you call ahead to ask when their peak time is over.

LEAFer said:
No ... I'm really asking whether the service department at a Nissan LEAF-certifed dealer has realized how long the hold-up/inconvenience is for an owner bringing the LEAF in for service when he/she lives far away. Even if you have the SL with QC, most dealers don't have QC ability;
Not all dealers in the US will have QC, for a while at least; all dealers in Japan will have QC capability right away. I'd think that dealers with far away customers might consider adding this capability sooner rather than later, but it would be much easier if the customer's car had a QC port.

Maybe in California, a few other states, and a few big cities outside of those states. I'll be very surprised to see anything like the availability of public charging such as you describe in the major midwest city that I live on the outskirts of. As an article in the local paper said a few months back, "Enterprise Rent-a-Car's customers soon will be able to drive away in an electric car. But not [here]."

I will concede that there are a lot of potential BEV buyers in areas like yours, but there are even more potential buyers in areas like mine where we're going to be tethered to home for a very long time to come.

mossyleaf said:
With chargers at dealers, best buys, costco's, home depots, and many shopping malls just for starts, I think the prevalance of chargers will make it fairly easy to charge once you reach your destination. Think that there will be designated charging station parking spots, a great place for municipalities to raise revenue ticketing people who park there who shouldn't.

The Nissan "fine print" when ordering says that the LEAF might not be
suitable for everyone. The availability of service is something to consider.
Ordering a model with QC might be part of the logistics to connsider.

Without QC, any "e-roaming" beyond a round trip from/to home
is likely to be quite time consuming.

The logistics of your specific dealer visits are best discussed with the
dealer that you intend to use, since they all have different plans,
and might even provide different services for "special" customers.
Guessing what dealers might do is not likely to help the far-out owner.

In general, I would not expect a loaner-car for a minor service.

Rides to and from home are usually limited to much shorter
distances, even though many dealers offer them.

Or course, rentals are usually available, at least in most places.

I believe there are a few dealers that are intending to put in QC,
however that will likely be rare, at least at first.

My original thought was the possibilty the dealer could plug in some special wiring harness to do the QC on a Leaf without the QC port. Seems it woud be very handy for the dealership

Back