Dead in the water

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnover

My wife was shopping from one store to another on a very wet day this past week. When she returned to the car on the last stop she expected to have 38 miles left, but when she pushed the start button she got the 12 volt battery and both the red and yellow master warning lights lit up. It stayed in park and couldn't go into any other gear. When I arrived about an hour later, I sat in the passenger's seat next to her and the same conditions exhibited when I had her give it another try. (I did not have a second key on my person.)

She had checked out the booklet and found that she should call the dealership to have the car checked out and that it should be towed in. She gave me the key and I had her wait in our Subaru when the tow truck arrived.

The car needed to be in neutral to be pulled onto the tow truck. I didn't know how this could be accomplished under the circumstances, but gave it a try by pushing the start button. It turned the vehicle on without the warning lights becoming lit up. It could change gears, but I didn't think it would be advisable to put it into anything and somehow I got it into neutral so it could be pushed into a towing position. At this point the tow truck driver rejected the suggestion that he put in the left front tow hook (he acknowledged knowing about it ... I was under the impression from him and my wife who had talked to the Nissan service manager that he had been advised how to properly tow.) Instead he attached a hook to the left front undercarriage to pull the vehicle onto the sliding tow truck ramp then attached and tightened up the other three attachment devices once the ramp was level. When then left for home as the tow truck left to deliver the car to the dealership.

The next day I received no calls from the dealership so I eventually called late in the afternoon and was advised a steering link had been damaged by the tow and that the tow driver had left stains on our new, light colored upholstery. I gave the company's contact information to the service manager then alerted our State Farm agent who had made the recomendation. The service manager stated he would handel these issues with the tow company. However, the service manager could find no definitive problem with our Leaf. One thought he voiced was that the smart phone (iPhone) might have interacted with the key to cause this. ETA for picking up the Leaf may be as many as four days.

Basically, this has spooked my spouse. I suggested she throw the iPhone into the back seat if it occurs again, but she does not think much of this idea. Truthfully, we need more than just some guesswork. Any similar experiences? Any radio frequency geeks out there?

Turnover said:
However, the service manager could find no definitive problem with our Leaf. One thought he voiced was that the smart phone (iPhone) might have interacted with the key to cause this.
Run, don't walk, to a new dealership. It's ridiculous to suggest that an iPhone would cause an issue, and their inability to pull the codes suggests they don't know what their doing.

Unfortunately, the codes are probably all cleared now, but if it happens again find a different dealership.

Thanks. It looks like I'm in your general area as well (Vancouver). This happened in Thursday's deluge. Do you have any dealer service department recommendations should this occur again?

Turnover said:
The next day I received no calls from the dealership so I eventually called late in the afternoon and was advised a steering link had been damaged by the tow and that the tow driver had left stains on our new, light colored upholstery. I gave the company's contact information to the service manager then alerted our State Farm agent who had made the recomendation.
Do I understand you correctly that you went through your insurance company to recommend a tow company??

NO, NO! You have free towing through Nissan. They use a tow company which is very familiar with the cars. Just call 877-NO GAS EV.

Turnover said:
The car needed to be in neutral to be pulled onto the tow truck. I didn't know how this could be accomplished under the circumstances, but gave it a try by pushing the start button. It turned the vehicle on without the warning lights becoming lit up. It could change gears, but I didn't think it would be advisable to put it into anything and somehow I got it into neutral so it could be pushed into a towing position.
Even if you can't shift into forward or reverse, you should be able to shift into neutral. Just move the selector lever straight left and hold it there for a little bit. You should see P change to N on the dash. Again, if you have Nissan send you the tow truck, the driver should know all about this.

Ray

Thanks for all the info folks.

Yes, she did go though our insurance, but the service manager also talked to the tow company prior to the tow. The driver acknowledged he already knew about screwing in the tow hook, but chose not to when I mentioned it to him and showed him the cover. I put the number in both our iphones so we will have it readily available. Perhaps Nissan should give out a sticker with each Leaf rather than have it buried in the books. My guess it that as the service manager and the driver were in contact that the tow company was on the Leaf list.

Thanks for the info regarding getting into neutral.

I am not sure what "acc" means. Accessories?

As new owners, my experience is that we have been given an information overload during the sales pitch, handed a packet of books, then thrown into the water. The hassel with trying to use the public charging stations ( 5-10 minutes on the phone), and figuring out the awsome technology without some person on person hands on training is difficult. I think Nissan and the others should offer classes to those interested before they buy much as the hospitals and surgery centers now offer classes before one has some of the commun surgeries like partial knee replacements. This would develop a broader potiential customer base and help to ease us into this new technology.

Dave, that is what the service manager thought and that is what one would gather from the idiot lights. The manager stated the 12v battery was ok.

then sounds like sensor not reading voltage correctly maybe?? waaaay beyond my expertise there.

your situation is why these forums and groups are invaluable. this forum does not always lend to immediate responses but have walked many people thru a situation and been walked thru on facebook. I would recommend checking for a local group in your area. most situations you will see most likely someone else has probably already been there and can probably give you pointers.

Thanks Dave. Great advice.

One of the things I'd like to do soon is drive the Leaf to see my brother in Lakewood. That looks doable. I'd also like to drive from Vancouver to Pendleton ... that route looks iffy given the only Level 3 charger seems to be in Hood River.

Turnover said:
Thanks Dave. Great advice.

One of the things I'd like to do soon is drive the Leaf to see my brother in Lakewood. That looks doable. I'd also like to drive from Vancouver to Pendleton ... that route looks iffy given the only Level 3 charger seems to be in Hood River.

Lakewood is VERY doable. its only 25 miles from Tumwater DCFC (direct current fast charger) which is btw, still FREE. you would charge at Castle Rock and Centrailia as well

obtw; to help insure a timely response in case you have troubles, i would become member of Seattle, Olympia AND Portland are LEAF owners. of the 3, you should get a quick response to issues from one of them

http://www.facebook.com/groups/162442713806531/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
sounds like dead 12 volt battery.

Check the 12V battery! I got mine replaced.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back