Crash Test Result

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruimegas

Does anyone know about any results related with some kind of crash tests made to the LEAF like the EURO NCAP or any other kind of tests.

I think is about time to have those results out, dont you think?

ruimegas said:
Does anyone know about any results related with some kind of crash tests made to the LEAF like the EURO NCAP or any other kind of tests.

I think is about time to have those results out, dont you think?

I do not believe that Nissan has officially released the results of crash tests. But I think it is about time that this information is released.

View the Nissan briefing PDFs in the Reference section - they show pictures from actual crash testing and also show that the battery pack is undamaged after the front end turns to scrap. ;)

Frank said:
LEAFer said:
http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/08/14/real-life-crash-test-of-the-leaf-wvideo/

I was thinking of something a little more official like:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
Of course ! But all my searching turned up that the info is not yet available, and I found the above. I almost was thinking to start a brand new thread keeping track of LEAF crashes :lol:

Crash tests have not been done by the NHTSA or the insurance group. If they had - the results would be public.

evnow said:
Crash tests have not been done by the NHTSA or the insurance group. If they had - the results would be public.

Do you think these will be done with production vehicles closer to October?

AndyH said:
evnow said:

Do you think these will be done with production vehicles closer to October?
I thought crash testing as already "under their belt" ... vague memory from all the info overload over the past few months. I seem to recall (was it Mark Perry) saying something to that effect on a video or as quoted text in an inteview. I don't think rules would allow placing orders for the car in August if the NHTSA crash testing was incomplete.

So ... still need to see the results, though. Don't remember seeing those.

LEAFer said:
I thought crash testing as already "under their belt" ... vague memory from all the info overload over the past few months. I seem to recall (was it Mark Perry) saying something to that effect on a video or as quoted text in an inteview. I don't think rules would allow placing orders for the car in August if the NHTSA crash testing was incomplete.

I don't know how it works. My comment was based on the websites of those two organizations. Leaf is not listed.

Someone with experience should chime in.

My guess is, Nissan has done crash tests. Just not the official NHTSA one or the Insurance industry one. I don't see why they can't take orders - before they delivere they need to have the tests done, I'd think.

It is possible NHTSA & Insurance industry has also done preliminary crash tests. May be they only publish production vehicle ratings ?

BTW, I've not seen Volt tests either. They have been taking orders for sometime now ...

edit : Infact safercar.gov doesn't list any 2011 car !

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1038477_side-pole-crash-test-part-of-tougher-nhtsa-ratings-for-2011

Side Pole Crash-Test Part Of Tougher NHTSA Ratings For 2011

For 2011, that abundance of top scores is bound to change, at least for the federal government’s New Car Assessment Program (NCAP). It will be rehabbed with new injury force limits and new test dummies—with the result likely being fewer four- and five-star scores across the board, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration calling it the most significant changes since the program began in 1979. Also to be phased in beginning for 2011 is the long-anticipated pole side-impact test

Not sure whether Leaf will go through the 2011 tests or the 2010 tests.

From Nissan's FAQ on the LEAF site:

Q: How is it doing in crash test ratings? A: The Nissan LEAF (like all Nissan cars) is built to meet or exceed federal safety regulations and our own rigorous internal testing.

The government typically does not crash test vehicles prior to their release by a manufacturer, although it has been known to happen. Quite often, they are not tested for several months after release. It us not unusual to find new vehicles on a dealer's lot with no safety rating. Only NHTSA knows what their testing cycle will be on this vehicle, as well as the Chevy Volt, which is also as yet untested by the government. All manufacturers know what the federal standard is, and the comment by Nissan referenced above is likely all we will see for awhile. If you do want the latest info, please check out http://www.safercar.gov.

While the video above may prove amusing, it is of little value in evaluating the "crashworthiness" of the LEAF. Knocking down a couple of aluminum poles probably just scratched the paint a little.

Back