Crash Test Difference 2011 vs Newer ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blimpy

Can any body account for poorer crash test results in 2013 and newer Leafs vs 2011/12 ?

:?:

A previous post from here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17718&p=384500&hilit=+crash#p384500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EAGERBEAVER said:
... This crash safety degradation can be verified by visiting the website of U.S. DOT's NHTSA and most likely on EPA's website. Its timing was coincident with the move of the charger from the luggage compartment to the engine compartment, suggesting that the assembly in which the charger is now located is larger than the original and interferes with the function of the crumple zone on the front passenger's side. The degradation for rear passengers may be attributable to the removal of the charger's housing structure in the luggage compartment to provide more rear storage space.

^^^
It would be nice if the OP responded to my question, as the above is only a guess as to what he/she is referring to.

EAGERBEAVER has a whopping 3 posts here and from skimming his long posts, he wanted to try to market his '12 Leaf as being "superior". Some of his info is just flat out wrong. The '13+ Leafs, mainly SV and SL have some really nice improvements over '11 and '12 Leafs, besides having less calendar losses, if all else is equal.

According to the NHTSA site the rear seat side impact score dropped when they tested the 2013 model vs the 2011. Something else to note is that the drivers side pole impact score increased in the same test for the 2013 version.

I'll repeat my earlier comment: It would be nice if the OP responded to my question, as the above is only a guess as to what he/she is referring to.

I personally have no time to dig around and make guesses as to what the OP is referring to since I'm not capable of reading his mind. For all I know, he's comparing apples to oranges.

Example: IIHS decided to move the goal posts by adding a new test (small overlap frontal test) and then seemed to like to broadcast to the media that some Toyotas do poorly on it. :roll: With the Leaf, a bunch of folks here didn't understand the moving the goal posts part and got into a panic/tizzy over this...

Grant said:
I'm not the OP, but I'm assuming they are referring to the crash test results from IIHS:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/nissan/leaf/2014

The results are the same as previous years except for the new test, Small overlap front, that was added in 2013.
Which is exactly why the OP should respond and clarify. I have no time to go on a wild goose chase nor does it make sense for us to guess/waste time assuming/guessing.

Back