CO2: My Prius vs My LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabio

My 2003 Prius averages 40m/Gallon -> burning 1G of Gasoline emits 19.4 lbs of CO2
My 2011 LEAF averages 3.8 m/kwh -> 40m require 10.5 kwh -> 5.51 lbs of CO2

These calculations leave aside the CO2 emitted in the production/transportation and refinement of Gasoline.
Also, my LEAF is actually powered 100% using the electricity produced by my PV, so my CO2 is actually zero.

(CO2 data from http://www.pge.com/about/environment/calculator/assumptions.shtml)

Fabio said:
My 2003 Prius averages 40m/Gallon -> burning 1G of Gasoline emits 19.4 lbs of CO2
My 2011 LEAF averages 3.8 m/kwh -> 40m require 10.5 kwh -> 5.51 lbs of CO2

These calculations leave aside the CO2 emitted in the production/transportation and refinement of Gasoline.
Also, my LEAF is actually powered 100% using the electricity produced by my PV, so my CO2 is actually zero.

(CO2 data from http://www.pge.com/about/environment/calculator/assumptions.shtml)
I believe PG&E is much greener than the rest of country. According to this report from the U.S. Energy Information Administration, "Electric Power Industry CO2 Emissions and Generation Share by Fuel Type", in 1999, CO2 emission from electricity production in the U.S. averages 2.1 lbs CO2 per kWh. Adding to that about 6.5% transmission losses, the LEAF is responsible for about the same amount of CO2. Of course, as you pointed out, we have not yet counted the CO2 emission from exploration, extraction, refining and transportation of gasoline.

Fabio said:

Why? That gives an unfair advantage to gasoline. If you are going to include the impact of generating the electricity, why not include the impact of creating the gasoline?

SparkyEV said:
Why? That gives an unfair advantage to gasoline. If you are going to include the impact of generating the electricity, why not include the impact of creating the gasoline?

Because I don't know the CO2 involved in refinement/transportation/extraction per gallon.

Fabio said:
SparkyEV said:

Because I don't know the CO2 involved in refinement/transportation/extraction per gallon.

Yeah, I have not been able to find this information either, and it always seems to be left out of the conversation when comparing EVs to ICE cars with respect to upstream emissions. Has anyone found any data on the emissions of refineries and the amount of electricity required to refine a gallon of gas?

the number changes from refinery to refinery, and what kind of oil it uses. You could get fairly close if you worked a total btu budget per barrel of oil.

kWh's required to produce a gallon of gasoline is very interesting. How do you get from that CO2 produced per gallon of gasoline as used in the average ICE car?

A while back, I found this document, "WELL-TO-WHEELS EMISSIONS DATA FOR PLUG-IN HYBRIDS AND ELECTRIC VEHICLES: AN OVERVIEW, which claims:
"...EVs reduce CO2 by 11%-100% compared with ICEs and by 24%-54% compared with HEVs..."

I have not fact checked that document, but there are indications that it is "fair and balanced". For example, regarding emission of particulate matter, it claims:
"...Compared with ICEs, PHEVs increase it by 2%; EVs may decrease PM
by as much as 97% or increase it up to 122%. Compared with HEVs, PHEVs increase it
130% and EVs increase it 483%.
..."
which sounds reasonable, considering about 45% of the electricity produced in the U.S. in 2010 is from coal.

Back