Clipper Creek LCS-25P

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnskull

I drove to Mexico from Southern Oregon in May and used a lot of RV parks
along the coast.
Since I'm leasing the car I didn't want to mess with the 110 EVSE
that came with the car.
($350 for the upgrade and $1027 for the replacement if I cancelled
my lease = $1350 investment)
Now I see Clipper Creek has a 220 "brick" with a NEMA 14-30 plug
and I'll just have to make an adapter to go to the NEMA 14-50
used in RV parks and I'll be charging at less than half the time.
My cost will be under $600 and I'll have two options
anywhere I go.
Any flaws in my thinking ?

The Clipper Creek unit is great, but it's fine to upgrade the EVSE that came with the car, even if you're leasing.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=5&faqs_id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the upgraded unit can be used on both 120V and 208/240V circuits with the appropriate plug adapters.

Would the Clipper Creek be eligible for with the Alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit?
That would be 30% of the price, bringing it closer to $400.
Plus 3 year warranty.

As highly as I think of the Clipper Creek LCS-25 and its plug in versions, if you need on-the-go 240 volt connectivity you are best off with the EVSE Upgrade. For one thing you'd only need to carry one EVSE instead of two; as mentioned above, the EVSE Upgrade is dual-voltage capable. Someone posted a while back about trying to plug an LCS-25 into a 120 volt outlet and it did not work.

As far as the lease thing, you can easily trade your upgraded EVSE for a stock one. Check the Marketplace section of this forum, someone was recently wanting to trade his upgraded unit for a stock one plus cash (price not specified). If worse comes to worse, for only a shipping fee, EVSE Upgrade will return your unit to stock configuration.

As highly as I think of the Clipper Creek LCS-25 and its plug in versions, if you need on-the-go 240 volt connectivity you are best off with the EVSE Upgrade. For one thing you'd only need to carry one EVSE instead of two; as mentioned above, the EVSE Upgrade is dual-voltage capable. Someone posted a while back about trying to plug an LCS-25 into a 120 volt outlet and it did not work.

Granted the 220volt LCS-25P will not work in a 110 circuit.(That would be the 30
amp plug in an RV park.) I will use the 50 amp 220 plug that is used for my electric
stove, and the outlet in an RV park,on one end of a pigtail and a 30 amp female
receptacle used for laundry dryers on the other end.
If the luggage space gets too tight I can leave my 110 EVSE at home.
What plug style does the EVSE upgrade have ?
The NEMA 14-50 is what I need in an RV park.

capnskull said:
I drove to Mexico from Southern Oregon in May and used a lot of RV parks
along the coast.
Since I'm leasing the car I didn't want to mess with the 110 EVSE
that came with the car.
($350 for the upgrade and $1027 for the replacement if I cancelled
my lease = $1350 investment)
Now I see Clipper Creek has a 220 "brick" with a NEMA 14-30 plug
and I'll just have to make an adapter to go to the NEMA 14-50
used in RV parks and I'll be charging at less than half the time.
My cost will be under $600 and I'll have two options
anywhere I go.
Any flaws in my thinking ?

I don't see any issues with this. We're leasing a 2013 Leaf S and I did pretty much this same thing. Bought the Clipper Creek LCS 25 before they came out with the plug-in version and just added my own L6-20 plug to the end of it, then bought a couple of the adapter cables from evseadapters.com to go from L6-20 to NEMA 14-50 or 30, and to NEMA 10-30 or 50. Have used this successfully a number of times with no problems. The wiring from the LCS 25 is just two hots and a ground. It doesn't use the neutral pin on the 14-50 and 14-30 plugs, which is the only pin that differentiates the two. This makes it easy to have one plug serve both.

capnskull said:
What plug style does the EVSE upgrade have ?
The NEMA 14-50 is what I need in an RV park.

The EVSE upgrade comes with an L6-20 or L6-30 plug depending on whether it's a 16A or 30A unit. They sell adapters from that to many other plugs including 14-50 and 5-15 (standard 120V household outlet).

Back