Climbed 3800 vertical feet in under 12 miles... Mount Diablo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsongster

Last Sunday for fun... I decided to take my new toy up our local mountain. The new toy is a 2013 LEAF SL, the mountain is Mount Diablo State Park here in Contra Costa County, CA.

Left the house in nearby Martinez with a 100% charge. GOM at 93 miles range. ( read 100... probably 99.6.or 99.7 as it claimed it needed 40 minutes more to finish.) Regen was off for the first few miles of the trip...

RcUbQkhhsuTMEK8Blhw56h1BCPBTHCKfFcOamiPJCkE=w294-h220-p-no

Drove over to the mountain and had 85% of battery left after an 11 mile drive to the North Gate. Guess o Meter 77 miles remaining.
Continued to drive normally up the mountain... ( speed limit is 25MPH for about 80% and 15MPH where the road is narrowed by slides and such.

Some time later... reached the 3849 foot summit with 21 miles still left on the GOM. I had driven 11.5 miles...

t5Qa4nSKNmAIwf0_PFiRNG-Q_15liC6CMJIJkUqt82Q=w294-h220-p-no

The view from the top...
gmqGrD3JDGqdO-gRYi5t3sgSlTW2IWGbWYIiZnYsE_c=w771-h220-p-no

On the way down... oddly... regen was off for the first mile... so I switched off ECO, then back on... and it started working.

When I mostly coasted and regenerated all the way back to the gate... ( a little farther to a safe place to stop... I saw this...

hlf-yFDkcq368l21bPLRZTa5yWpR3Ftah5nAzAbVM9c=w294-h220-p-no

So... had a great time... met some fellow owners at the top... and some Ham guys playing with a modded DSS satellite dish... and gained back more than enough miles to get home... where I saw this...

euEhXbDOdWeI0Um_efUKW7ghPyNAdf9BugC9mT9jWXY=w276-h207-p-no

So... this Saturday... In my quest to mostly eliminate range anxiety... from Martinez to Cupertino to visit the National Plug in Days festivities. 60+ miles down... so... gotta plan to charge at least once... conveniently there are 3 or 4 DC QCs on the way. Should be fun. Hope to see some of you there!

Cheers! Jeff

That's a fun ride. Mt. Diablo's descent (at least down to the North Gate) fits the LEAF's regen profile pretty well.

Back