Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first leaf in the wild!!!
And I was at 5998 miles. On Hicks just south of Lake-Cook Road.
Cyan red, just like mine, regular plates, went into Menards at the intersection.
Wish I had time to turn in and chat but I was on a schedule.
...I have seen the same Fiskar Karma 3 times now and only noticed 1Volt.
Could have seen more Volts but they do not stand out.

OldQuadDog said:
first leaf in the wild!!!
And I was at 5998 miles. On Hicks just south of Lake-Cook Road.
Cyan red, just like mine, regular plates, went into Menards at the intersection.
Wish I had time to turn in and chat but I was on a schedule.
...I have seen the same Fiskar Karma 3 times now and only noticed 1Volt.
Could have seen more Volts but they do not stand out.

With so few sightings I'd bet it's the same red LEAF we've seen as well in the NW 'burbs ... if it had P20 as the first few letters on its plates it is a very high probability its the very same car, however we use that particular Menards quite a bit so if it happened to have '3xx EL' plate it would have been us! I also saw my third Th!nk (2 reds and this one was black) so a few of them are being sold even though the company went bankrupt. Lastly, with the Tesla Model S intro having at least two of them heading to Chicago they should be here soon for sightings as well. I see at least 2 to 3 Volts a week now, most recently a black one with a Cubs plate.

EDIT: although I've only typically seen Fisker Karma's either at car shows or Patrick BMW in Schaumburg, happen to see on at the very end of Arlington Heights Rd. in Buffalo Grove -- almost a taupe color, love those hockey stick like LED turn signals!

July 4th parade in Highland Park. We will have 4 Leafs in the parade from Highland Park promoting our Green City initiative. If there are anymore than the 3 Black and 1 Red that we know of residing in Highland Park, let us know. I wish we could invite you all to be part of it, but the city is keeping this to its residents. I would have loved to have had 20 or more running quietly down Central Avenue........

I found this on the "The official "I got my Leaf" thread"

mlhoward said:
I'm a bit late to this, got my Leaf in December and love it. I got the first delivered Leaf in the northwest Chicago suburbs. License plate "ZERO GAS".
I charge at home using the cable provided. My daily commute to work is 23 miles round trip (all suburban surface streets). I can even make it to downtown Chicago and back with plenty to spare. The dashboard display of miles per kwh shows between 4.7 and 5.0 usually which makes my cost per mile about 1.5 cents. My previous car, a 2004 Prius (license plate HI MPG 50, and still in the household) averages close to 50 mpg in the warm weather which is about 13 cents per mile. If my math is correct, my Leaf's cost per mile is about 1/8 of the Prius. Doesn't that make the mpg equivalent over 400 mpg?
I hate to say that in the 6 months I've had the car I have only seen 3 other Leafs on the road. I guess Nissan hasn't targeted the Chicagoland area.

Well, I certainly wasn't first to get the LEAF in Chicago, or the IL EPA EV rebate (still waiting but assumed approved) but perhaps I'm first for the EVSE (home charging station + install) rebate as the check for $605.25 arrived today (was post marked 7/2/12 so will use that date in my sign'). This one comes from the IL State Comptroller's office; where does the EV IL EPA rebate come from for those who already received theirs? This one was much more difficult, lots of forms, additional info required from installer, etc., etc. but they did follow through. Have not checked back on another comment mentioning a 'new' program after the earlier deadline for the one I used but that's for others to have more fun and investigate ... of course what all this translates to for those perhaps just tuning in; my 'out of pocket' for my home L2 Schneider EVlink charging station + install is $605.25 after 'cash' rebate from IL; took almost 9 months from date of install but worth the wait, just like the LEAF itself.

:eek: Was in W. Chicago/Winfield Sunday. The wind started up and a few drops fell as I got into the Leaf turned onto GenevaRd/Washington and the worst storm I have ever driven in started! Use Rainex religeously and even I had to turn on wipers! Dodged fallen tree parts following two bronto utes. At peak we all came to a stop in the road. Actually had to look at the speedometer to verify 0 mph. Estimates vary between 70-90mph winds. Side winds wreak havoc on my Leaf but headwinds don't cause much motion. The water didn't cause any problems with the undercarriage (shorts, fireworks, stalling) or steering, no leaks its nice to know that it can be driven though standing water with no ill effects. There are as of noon today still trees blocking the street, lights still out and large piles of tree limbs on every street in W. Chicago. The airconditioning works delightfully fast and cool enough for these 100 deg days. There must be a lot of uv blocker in the windows the car doesn't seem to get as much sun loading from the dash as my others cars. Nothing to do with rebates but thought some might want know what the car can take and come out still ticking.

Hey quick question. I might finally be getting my Nissan Leaf. But I also remember there was a post few pages ago where someone mentioned a dealer selling Leaf SL for only 34k, can anyone tell me dealers that sell LEAF under MSRP?

YashuV said:
Hey quick question. I might finally be getting my Nissan Leaf. But I also remember there was a post few pages ago where someone mentioned a dealer selling Leaf SL for only 34k, can anyone tell me dealers that sell LEAF under MSRP?

Could have been another one, but looks like (unless the site hasn't been updated) McGrath Nissan in Elgin still has their '11 SL in White demo with the CWP available. Awhile back it only had about 300 miles and still looked quite new but they were willing to knock off quite a bit off MSRP according to Darryl Watson and still seel as new so you get the rebates, etc. They also had a '12 but looks like that one is gone. McGrath's main number is 847-695-6700 or you can email Darryl to confirm things first at: [email protected] --- Good Luck!

Thank you! Oh and by the way. I will soon start making youtube video on why people should buy Nissan Leaf, talk about things they don't know about the car, and some problems that pushes public away from buying the car.

BTW I might end up waiting few more months, and get 2013 Nissan Leaf, because of faster charging and better heater. It says it comes out in December 2012.

YashuV said:
At this point I think waiting for the 2013 model makes a lot of sense. The heat-pump based heater will be a big improvement in Chicago winters. As for paying as little as possible, I paid $500 below MSRP last December following two simple principles: (1) competition between dealers and (2) cutting out the commission of the showroom salesperson.

Here is the recipe: call all dealerships within a reasonable range (maybe 100 miles, I actually called all IL certified dealers last year) and talk only to the fleet manager. Tell him (there were only two women last year) that you are calling all fleet managers in the state and that you will call back and buy from the dealer that offers the best out-the-door price. It is important to convey the message that you will buy NOW and that if he does not offer a competitive price NOW, he is out of the picture. It also helps if you know the invoice price and current incentives, hold-backs, etc.

This worked great last year. I bought my previous car substantially under invoice (using a fax to all fleet managers instead of a phone call). Good luck!

OldQuadDog said:
Plates number 305 EL received yesterday, Thursday Jan 26!

I've altered my morning commute schedule a bit otherwise it would have been an unlikely LEAF sighting ... gotta love these EL plates as easy to spot. Saw OldQuadDog crossing intersection of Lake Cook and Hintz (right by the Menard's) this morning around 7AM as I was passing the other way; would have honked, etc. but have yet to 'upgrade' my horn --- sad part is that it looks like the majority of Chicago area LEAF owner's are pretty much early adopters (members of this forum) as I've only seen one other non-forum LEAF out there (another red LEAF like both mine and OldQuad but with a regular plate starting with P20). Got a 6 month reminder call from my dealer but with only 5K miles still too soon to rotate the tires so will wait a bit; car still performing quite well, very comfortable even on the hottest days (pre-cool the car for about 5 min just before leaving work is the key); really love the fact that the LEAF doesn't heat up the garage, it continues to be our 'go to' car for just about everything except longer trips and picking up big stuff. Saw a video review over on CNET on the plug-in Prius; the shorter battery range would work for just one of us out of the 3 drivers in my family but at least it's a step in the right direction. Still anticipating the Ford C-Max Energi intro but looks like the plain hybrid version will do pretty well as well as lower cost --- big thing for us will be its comfort on trips so we'll see once they have a few for the auto writers to review --- any other LEAF sightings, green car events, etc.?

I take that same route every weekday. Today I was actually a little earlier than usual so that really was a chance passing.
I saw another red Leaf last weekend in Palatine on southbound Bothwell as I was headed west on Palatine road. Regular plates... did not catch any plate characters.

OldQuadDog said:
Do we know what EL numbers are currently being issued? Saw a silver Leaf the other day on Sheridan in Evanston with yellow temp plates. Looks like another EL candidate. I then drove a few blocks and was passed by a blue Volt. Gorgeous color!

lukati said:
OldQuadDog said:
Do we know what EL numbers are currently being issued? Saw a silver Leaf the other day on Sheridan in Evanston with yellow temp plates. Looks like another EL candidate. I then drove a few blocks and was passed by a blue Volt. Gorgeous color!

Last EL series plate at least reported by a Chicagoland MNL forum member was 313 EL so the number is still quite low; I don't believe that the Volt is eligible for these plates as it's not powered exclusively by electric power but the Mitsu 'i' is as well as the Tesla S and roadster would be --- I've also seen quite a few Volt's around and not one had one of these (several ones with regular, Environmental, one with a Cubs, one with a Route 66 and one of those new black background Sox plates but no EL's). The good thing for IL Volt owners is that it does indeed qualify for the IL EPA rebate though so that would be more important than saving a few bucks on plate fees --- remember these EL plates are $35 / 2 years versus $99 / year for regular ones as well as having a low number series plate is kind of unique.

I was just talking with a dealer at Star Nissan in Skokie, he said they sell anywhere from 2-3 cars a month, which he stated is the goal of Nissan USA for this year, he also said starting January they should be selling 9 cars a month or more. On the side note personally I think of himself as a dealer that was looking very bored, , so I wouldn't buy the car from him, he was little rude.

They have 3 blue, 1 black, 1 silver LEAFs, selling for 38K. I told him in Gurnee they sell them for 34K. He didn't know what to say.

I need to send prolix74 a very big THANK YOU for the EVSE rebate heads up. I received the $840.74 check yesterday. When I filed my taxes back in February and did not qualify for the federal deduction I had no idea the state would start a program. Great observation and again thank you very much for sharing the information.

redLEAF said:
lukati said:
OldQuadDog said:

Last EL series plate at least reported by a Chicagoland MNL forum member was 313 EL so the number is still quite low.

We got our plates (332 EL) about a month ago, but I can't be sure they're issued in consecutive order.

ForestWattaker said:
We got our plates (332 EL) about a month ago, but I can't be sure they're issued in consecutive order.

When last I contacted the IL SOS office they had mentioned that they had pre-ordered a block of these 'EL' plates in anticipation of a bit of a 'rush' but seems like that didn't happen. Unlike 'regular' plates with 7 characters I doubt that they wouldn't assign these in sequence and as you need to order them from a central office (versus the dealer's holding stock like they do the regular plates) so the total number of EV's in the state are still quite small based on your plate assignment.

Has anyone found a good phone app that shows all the charging stations? I have 4 apps on my iPhone but none actually seems to display all the stations available. They seem to selectively screen. I go to different apps and see different available stations. Or does our Leaf actually keep up, screen wise, with all the stations?

Hello all! I'm a new Chicago Leaf driver. So excited to find that there's a community here!

Just got mine on Tuesday, and I really, really love it (don't think I'll be hopping on the EL plate trend, though, as I had just ordered new plates for the totaled Prius the Leaf replaced). I have about a 10-minute urban commute, and the vast majority of the rest of my driving is short trips in the city.

I do have a question for all of you: My ability to keep this car depends on its ability to drive from downtown to the New Buffalo, Mich. area on a fairly regular basis. The trip is about 65 miles, and my normal route is LSD—>Stony Island—>Skyway—>Ind. Toll Road—>94.

I wasn't able to charge my car up all the way before I left on Friday, thanks to a major communication failure at the dealership (grrrrr....) and thus spent two hours at a charging station in Chesterton en route (my car showed about 75-80 miles to empty when I left). I would like for that to not happen again.

Do any of you make similar drives? The consensus on the new driver forum seems to be that I can do it, but they suggested I ask here, as well. (More details in that thread.) I'd appreciate any insight or advice you may have!

Back