Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was wondering if someone could help me out. I just moved in to a new place in the Ukrainian village and when I was in negotiation with the property management company I told them I had a leaf, to which they replied there was no problem and that I could plug the car in the provided shared garage.

After signing the lease I am now being told that they would have to charge me for the use of the outlet and they would like to know how much I would normally pay another to charge the Leaf.

While I do not think it's necessarily right that they are coming back to me after signing a lease to hit me up with more costs, I would like to know if any of you could help me out with giving them a realistic number in terms of monthly costs?

I do not drive much because I work from home mostly. I maybe drive 10-20 miles a week. That being said I don't even think I would be using the outlet all that often. Probably 3-4 times a month to charge up full. Can anyone give me guidance based on my driving pattern about how much it would cost to charge a month? Thanks!

tangfj said:
Was wondering if someone could help me out. I just moved in to a new place in the Ukrainian village and when I was in negotiation with the property management company I told them I had a leaf, to which they replied there was no problem and that I could plug the car in the provided shared garage.

After signing the lease I am now being told that they would have to charge me for the use of the outlet and they would like to know how much I would normally pay another to charge the Leaf.

While I do not think it's necessarily right that they are coming back to me after signing a lease to hit me up with more costs, I would like to know if any of you could help me out with giving them a realistic number in terms of monthly costs?

I do not drive much because I work from home mostly. I maybe drive 10-20 miles a week. That being said I don't even think I would be using the outlet all that often. Probably 3-4 times a month to charge up full. Can anyone give me guidance based on my driving pattern about how much it would cost to charge a month? Thanks!

You wouldn't be using much electricity at all but if you pretty much always charge at your parking garage it will be fairly easy to explain to them based on your monthly mileage, average miles/kWh on the car and whatever the charge the place gets from the utility per kWh. An example might look like this (just ball parking so you can see the example):

100 miles/month ; 5 miles/kWh ; .10 cents per kWh = 100 miles driven divided by 5 mile per kWh times the .10 cents per kWh would equal $2.00 in 'extra' electricity used to charge the car.

In my own case, we charge at home, my current average is 5.3 miles/ kWh and my electricity is only .0496 cents per kWh (special rate expires in August) and I drive about 750 miles/month so it adds about $7.02 extra (to be exact: 750/5.3 = 141.509434 kWh X .0496 rate per kWh = $7.01886792); compare that to a car that drives 750 miles, gets 25 MPG and you'll use 30 gallons of gas say at $4/gallon = $120 or save about $112.98 per month / $1,355.76 year in fuel savings alone.

If you're the only one using the plug and you're only using it for the Leaf, then you could put a meter on it to get the exact usage. I have one of these for other purposes, and I love this little gadget. http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the replies but my rental company just came back to me and said they'd be adding $20 a month to my rent and if I didn't like it then they ask that I not use the plug... So much for that. It sounds like I'll be overpaying and they'll be making a little bit of obey off of it but they aren't really giving me any other choice. I think it is mostly due to misinformation and a general lack of education around electric cars but I suspect that they think it's going to cost an arm and a leg to charge my car (which it's not). Oh well looks like I gotta find ways to use the car more. I guess it's still cheaper per month than gas for my old ice car.

redLEAF said:
New information web site from the City of Chicago ...

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/progs/env/drive_electric_chicago.html

Not bad as one of the .pdf files associated details all of the IL EV incentives; a good start at least.

Too bad it also says that the cost for installation of a residential Level 2 station runs between $2,000 and $10,000 dollars... I had mine put in for $300 bucks! The unit only cost $699 as well and I got 30% of all that back from the Feds and 50% back from IL! More outdated info to make the public think it's too expensive/inconvenient.

I didn't bother looking through anymore for fear I'd also see talk about the abundant Level 3 network found in the Chicagoland area. :lol: :roll: :x

Regarding the Level III chargers in Chicago, I decided to follow up on a email/social media conversation I had with JNS Holdings in October of 2013. Below is what transpired. X-ing Fingers!

On Jul 15, 2014, at 6:40 PM, Brian Howe <[email protected]> wrote:

Kevin
I feel we are making progress . Just waiting for our lawyers to review the final documents and were off to the races . Please watch for a major announcement either in the paper or our web / social media

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 15, 2014, at 6:23 PM, Kevin wrote:

Any new updates on this situation?

-Kevin

On Oct 4, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Brian Howe <[email protected]> wrote:

Kevin
We are working with the Creditors right now. Once everyone is paid we will gain access to the data. Once we gain control of the Data network we will start the change over to JNS . We will be updating everyone through our web site and our face book page. Thanks again if you have any additional question please call our office at 847-577-3572
Brian Howe
JNS Power & Control Systems, Inc.

Attended the annual British Car Festival held at Harper College in Palatine yesterday and came across this 'home-built' electric powered Triumph Spitfire. Can't always assume that people aren't still building their own EV's and this will always skew the ramp up of new 'EL' plate series in IL just a bit ... (this one is 1281 EL). They of course had the latest Jaguar (F-coupe is quite sharp) and latest Mini but nothing really other than this lonely relict from another era towards EV's or hybrids, etc. As always, although I love British cars, lots of oil drips and the ahhh the smell of hydrocarbons was in the air ... (cough, cough) ... my favorites was that new Jag, and a rare TVR from the mid 70's; my son loved the Lotus Elise; lots of cars and spectators

Spitfire%20EV%201.jpg

Spitfire%20EV%202.jpg

Spitfire%20EV%203.jpg

Spitfire%20EV%204.jpg

http://mrkt.ms/U1S8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ziegler has bought the Nissan dealership from Rosen. They moved their location about a mile west to Lake Villa but it will take some time before they can move the L2 and Chademco.

It's time for my battery check and now I'm not sure where to take it. Ziegler suggested I go elsewhere this time as they aren't up to full speed with service. Any good Nissan Leaf service? I'm in the northwest suburbs. Thanks!

r1234567 said:
http://mrkt.ms/U1S8

Ziegler has bought the Nissan dealership from Rosen. They moved their location about a mile west to Lake Villa but it will take some time before they can move the L2 and Chademco.

It's time for my battery check and now I'm not sure where to take it. Ziegler suggested I go elsewhere this time as they aren't up to full speed with service. Any good Nissan Leaf service? I'm in the northwest suburbs. Thanks!

For the battery check, I'm continuing to use the Nissan dealer I bought my '12 from, McGrath Nissan in Elgin. They have a very good LEAF tech on staff and may even offer you a service loaner if you ask nicely in advance --- granted its typically a base Versa but at least you don't need to wait for the car. I'm coming up on the 3-year mark (in late December) so will need to check to see if this next battery check is covered or I'll have to pay for it. Not too long ago, they were offering a free tire rotation and courtesy check so would think they were looking to get more service work.

Starting to see new 'EL' plated EV's almost every day here in the 'burbs ... I've passed a 'gun metallic' grey LEAF a few times on Dundee Rd in the NW 'burbs sporting a high 17xx EL plate; the 2000's level isn't so far away.

Also saw my first BMW i3 on the road, have seen some small numbers in dealer lots but first to see 'in the wild'; here in IL in order to get an 'EL' plate the car needs to be 100% electric so the one I saw was probably with the Rex extended range motor (it had a 'normal' IL plate starting with 283 xxxx) but then again, have seen a few LEAF's without EL plates as well as opting for an EL plate isn't required but will save you on registration fees.

Our '12 is still going strong; will be 3 years of ownership towards the end of this December so think this will be the last 'free' battery check --- OEM tires look pretty worn out for winter (we have about 26K miles now) so I bought some Nissan Juke wheels (17") that others have upgraded to that I'll need to get cleaned up a bit before switching along with some new tires --- here's hoping we don't have a repeat of last winter!

Red leaf - I think I've seen you a few times!

McGrath was so friendly and my advisor was Adam and Bob was the tech. Our Leaf just turned a year and still has 12 bars.

r1234567 said:
Red leaf - I think I've seen you a few times!

McGrath was so friendly and my advisor was Adam and Bob was the tech. Our Leaf just turned a year and still has 12 bars.

Could be -- I see '305' all the time who also is on this forum, I'm '307' so be sure to give a thumbs up the next time … on the previous poster here, have yet to see any EL plates in the 2000's so perhaps they're all in the city … could be someone with a 'regular' low number plate as well; EL plates are rather plain (plain white -- numbers followed by EL) so not all that distinctive but a lot less than anything else to register in IL.

As far as Nissan dealers go, McGrath has been good to me as well; they also participated in a 'environmental' event and brought some cars, etc. for test drives that's listed on this thread (Midwest Green Car Expo in Elgin). Bob has been their main LEAF tech since the beginning so quite knowledgeable with just about all things on LEAF's.

I am starting to see a number of newer LEAF's (one distinctive feature is the new alloy wheels as well as different colors from the earlier years) which has been encouraging … I'll keep my eye out for higher numbered plates as well. I did a quick check as I've been trying to use the LEAF as my main commuter once the coldest parts of winter ended and I saved about $1,200 in gas against my other cars; despite the recent decline in gas prices and unfortunate increase in kWh rates its amazing how much driving an EV can save you.

Hi guys - I just joined the forum in hopes of getting some recommendations for EV installers in the Chicagoland area. We're putting in a Leviton EVR-green 400 (yay! 40 amps!) but the IL rebate program closed before any work could be done. The program re-opened just a few days ago and I'm looking to re-evaluate the field of installers and I figured you guys would be the best people to ask.

RedLeaf: you may have missed one of the rarest cars at the BCU show, an Aston Martin V12 Zagato:

15238330720_c12ed2a320_z_d.jpg

gray said:
Hi guys - I just joined the forum in hopes of getting some recommendations for EV installers in the Chicagoland area. We're putting in a Leviton EVR-green 400 (yay! 40 amps!) but the IL rebate program closed before any work could be done. The program re-opened just a few days ago and I'm looking to re-evaluate the field of installers and I figured you guys would be the best people to ask.

RedLeaf: you may have missed one of the rarest cars at the BCU show, an Aston Martin V12 Zagato:

15238330720_c12ed2a320_z_d.jpg

'gray' -- no we saw it … the owner was there and actually opened the doors to show someone the interior; very cool car; spent close to what a 2nd home would cost but perhaps its worth it!

I'll send you a PM on who we used for our EVSE install; he has lots of experience and is quite familiar with the IL EVSE rebate program as you need to use an IL licensed contractor who is required to fill out some paperwork, etc. -- assume its still 50% of equip + install so its worth the hassle but not for some of the guys out there

Back