Charging troubles (not what you're thinking! USB port issue)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLEAF

I've done some searching through the forum, but I wasn't able to find anything that was really recent or relevant, so I figured I'd make this new thread.

I'm having issues with the USB port in my car. My iPhone doesn't stay connected when plugged into this port. It will charge for a few seconds or a minute, and then disconnect. I'll wiggle the cord, and it will start charging again for a minute or so, and the problem will come back again. Obviously, I thought it was my iPhone cable. However, my mom was in the car with me yesterday and needed to charge her Android (not sure of the model, maybe Droid X2? Too many Droids to keep track of...). The same thing happened with her phone -- it would charge sporadically.

So, it seems like my USB port is not working right. The old threads I saw about similar weirdness with the USB port suggested disconnecting the 12-volt battery for a while to reset things. Should I? Or should I just take it into Nissan and have them deal with it? Anyone experience this?

NYLEAF said:
I've done some searching through the forum, but I wasn't able to find anything that was really recent or relevant, so I figured I'd make this new thread.

I'm having issues with the USB port in my car. My iPhone doesn't stay connected when plugged into this port. It will charge for a few seconds or a minute, and then disconnect. I'll wiggle the cord, and it will start charging again for a minute or so, and the problem will come back again. Obviously, I thought it was my iPhone cable. However, my mom was in the car with me yesterday and needed to charge her Android (not sure of the model, maybe Droid X2? Too many Droids to keep track of...). The same thing happened with her phone -- it would charge sporadically.

So, it seems like my USB port is not working right. The old threads I saw about similar weirdness with the USB port suggested disconnecting the 12-volt battery for a while to reset things. Should I? Or should I just take it into Nissan and have them deal with it? Anyone experience this?

I'd take it to them. Sounds like either a loose connector of a port going bad.

Somewhat off-topic:

I put a USB-port converter into the cigarette lighter. This will charge devices at a higher rate than using the built-in USB port (assuming the converter has the two data lines shorted together - I've found that some do and some don't).

The downside is that you don't have the USB data connection, but I prefer to use Bluetooth for that purpose.

Back