Charging Station Congestion/Etiquette Oregon coast/valley

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbieandpatrick

I've noticed many more EV's on the road and this is great. There are also more cars at the charging stations--notably Grand Ronde, Monmouth, and Newport on the coast. I've found across the board that Leaf owners are polite and cooperative--one even chided me for not unplugging his car, pointing out that he parked in such a way to allow that. Next time, I'll know. I have run into people who use the stations, Monmouth in particular, as their personal charging station. They're not friendly about sharing. Today in Newport, a new Ford Fusion Energi was parked nearly between the two charging plugs. I had to park the Leaf sideways to get the cord to reach. He came back but quickly hurried away, maybe realizing his mistake. I said hello intending to talk about it, but he was not friendly. A few days ago I wanted to top the car off in Newport before heading to Corvallis. A Leaf was on the QC which I didn't want to use and an unattended plug-in Prius on the 200-level. I decided to drive on to Corvallis and not unplug the Prius. How do you folks handle these situations?

There are very very few public charge stations in my home town. Most of the ones we do have charge 2 dollars per hour to use them (Walgreens). Never seen a Prius plugin except at the dealership.

The stations in Oregon that are so congested, what are the fees for using them ?

KJD said:
There are very very few public charge stations in my home town.
This is a funny statement to me. I have tons of charging stations in my home town. It's annoying! I want charging stations about 60 miles from my home town. Then maybe I could go somewhere else. :)

I have only seen one other LEAF at the Ridgefield AV West Coast Electric Hwy out next to me and he came out of the diner as he saw me pull up and let me know that I could unplug him when the DCQC stopped charging his car. I think that is how it should work, if you are at a station that doesn't cost anything and the car isn't actively charging but is still plugged in and you can manage to get your car up next to the EVSE/Changer I would say unplug the car and get to charging!

KJD said:
The stations in Oregon that are so congested, what are the fees for using them ?
Stations really aren't that congested here in Oregon, no more than other places. Blink charges $1/hour for members on Level 2, $5 per DCQC session. Many charging stations don't have fees associated with usage.

ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
I always leave an EV charging protocol card on the windshields of cars that are unattended & don't have a phone contact # on their dash.
Yep, I do this where ever I charge too. If I see someone fully charged without a phone number in their windshield, I'll unplug them and leave a note with my number so they don't freak out when they get back.

ObiQuiet said:
I think this is a great solution:

http://www.chargesticker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately they try too hard to use technology to solve a simple problem: http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkStar said:
ObiQuiet said:

Unfortunately they try too hard to use technology to solve a simple problem: http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah. I used chargesticker for a bit, until I realized I have a Google Voice number that I don't really mind putting anywhere.

ObiQuiet said:

Thanks for that, I just printed one up and I will put it on my car tonight.

Leaving some sort of contact information on the dash is not only courteous, but quite important. I was recently involved in a little situation at a hotel where there were two slots for the same EVSE, without any signage. One slot was ICEd, and I was in the second. A late arriving Tesla running on empty would have been in a world of hurt had I not provided contact information.

I believe congested charging stations is a good problem to have. In the Fort Worth area most of our stations sit unused 99% of the time. I always look when driving by one to see if anyone is plugged in. I've seen a Volt every now and then plugged in. I saw a Leaf once.

I have only used ChargePoint public chargers. Each time I have had to swipe my card to get it started and then swipe again to disconnect. I have done this with both free and pay ChargePoint chargers. So it seems as if no one else could unplug my LEAF. Or could they use their card to swipe and then unplug me?

Becky50 said:
I have only used ChargePoint public chargers. Each time I have had to swipe my card to get it started and then swipe again to disconnect. I have done this with both free and pay ChargePoint chargers. So it seems as if no one else could unplug my LEAF. Or could they use their card to swipe and then unplug me?
I don't believe the J1772 port lock was available on the 2012s, so unplugging is always possible. Not necessary to swipe a ChargePoint device in order to disconnect. If not swiped, all that happens is that you get a text or email that there was a disconnect. At least, that is my experience with ChargePoint.

On the 2013s with the port lock, it is under the users control, not the providers.

Great feedback, everyone. I have made use of the green and red sign for the dash but need to get it laminated. I like the sign others suggested in this thread. A cell phone # is always helpful. Charging in Newport, OR, over the weekend a guy went out of his way to drive up to complain that this West Coast Electric Highway station is currently free and "he" is paying for it with his taxes. We politely said that we pay taxes also and unless traveling, we charge the car at home. He didn't want to hear it and drove away in a huff in his Lexus. We've decided to just tell people we pay $5 to fill the car from now on unless they are EV friendly. A new Tesla Model S pulled up later and we had a great time talking to the owner and getting a look at the car. Can't wait to see the Model E.

debbieandpatrick said:
Charging in Newport, OR, over the weekend a guy went out of his way to drive up to complain that this West Coast Electric Highway station is currently free and "he" is paying for it with his taxes. We politely said that we pay taxes also and unless traveling, we charge the car at home. He didn't want to hear it and drove away in a huff in his Lexus.
Good lord, what a douchebag. First thing out of my mouth would probably have been something about how I hate paying taxes to fund wars overseas to keep the cheap oil flowing into his f'ing Lexus. I figure it would have just gone downhill from there.

Reminds me that last week someone honked and flipped me off as they drove by while I was charging at the (free) QC in Cottage Grove. It baffled me at the time and I wrote it off as standard dumb redneck behavior...now I'm wondering if it was due to the same frame of mind as this Lexus driver.

It is a "free gas" thing.

I belong to an outdoor activity group; we own property and have electric service. Frequently members will spend a few days in their RV, and plug in to the electrical service - no problem, that is what it is there for. OTOH, I have heard second hand complaints about me plugging in to charge for a couple of hours, even though I probably use fewer kWhs than an RV with an AC running. People don't like others getting "free gas".

I suppose. It's strange though, here in Oregon we have at least 4 or 5 different companies providing EV charging networks, all overlapping to some degree. Most are for pay, only one is still free that I know of. I certainly had no idea which were which until I leased a Leaf and spent quite a bit of time researching online at plugshare and elsewhere. So how does your average dumb redneck (or Lexus driver) know which chargers are free and therefore which EV drivers to harrass?

Don't know if he saw a story about the charging station at Newport or if he had talked to other people about it, but Mr. Lexus saw an opportunity to vent. Most people we meet are decent and interested. Our main take away from this incident is to screen people a little better before sharing our enthusiasm for the cars. As far as the outdoor activity group, you're a member too. A couple of hours for either car would take far less juice than an RV there for the weekend.

Back