Charging questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2048Megabytes

If you use a Level 2 charger at a charge point, how many more miles can you get out of a 2013 Nissan Leaf electric car if you only let it charge for 20 minutes? If the charge was lower than 20 percent, about how much more range could you get?

Also, how many more miles in range are the 2013 Nissan Leaf vehicles over the 2011 models?

I hear the 2011 Nissans only get about 65 miles in range on the highway driving at around 65 miles per hour.

It's such a bummer to me that I drive about 58 miles on the freeway for my job and this would likely be pushing a Nissan Leaf to it's limit in range. I test drove an electric car and I really liked it.

Assuming 6.6kw charging on the 2013 model I would say in 20 mins you would gain 5-8 miles of range.

2013 new vs 2011 new range is about the same. There are some onboard charging differences I think. Just go with the 2013 imo.

Thanks for the information.

If there are no differences in the range of a 2011 Nissan electric car versus a 2013 model I may go with the 2011 in the future. I never buy new cars as the expenses are so high on a new car.

2048Megabytes said:
If there are no differences in the range of a 2011 Nissan electric car versus a 2013 model I may go with the 2011 in the future. I never buy new cars as the expenses are so high on a new car.
There are no differences in range when the cars are new. However, a 2011 purchased now has probably lost 15-20% of the battery capacity, partly from driving, partly from calendar aging. That number could be more or less depending on the climate the Leaf lived in (hot is baaaaad) and how many miles it has on it. See the Battery Aging Model link in my signature for more information than you ever wanted to know about capacity loss.

2048Megabytes said:
Thanks for the information.

The 2013 with the optional 6.0 kW charger will add miles faster than the 2011 at 3.3 kW.

The 2013 will have more range than a 2011 because the battery is newer. Better to LEASE the 2013 than buy a 2011 for most cases.
JMHO

Price the new car, with tax and dealer incentives. You may find the difference is very small, but you are getting a brand new car with a 3 year warranty and a full battery. On a used car, of course, there are no tax credits. In some places, you might actually find a brand new car costs less than a used car.

Yep on posts by smkettner and Stoaty.

OP, can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations? Also, why do you ask about charging at 20 minutes on level 2? Why only 20 mins?

FWIW, at 208 volts at work (on our L2 Chargepoint stations), '11 and '12 Leafs seem to pull ~3.7 kW before they start ramping down as the battery nears full. My '13 Leaf pulls ~5.7 to 6.0 kW. It also will ramp down when near full.

Since we have no idea where you live, it's possible the 2011 Leaf you mention might not even be able to make the 58 highway miles you mention because either the battery has degraded too much and/or will do so in the near future or the winter will kill your range.

2048Megabytes said:
It's such a bummer to me that I drive about 58 miles on the freeway for my job and this would likely be pushing a Nissan Leaf to it's limit in range. I test drove an electric car and I really liked it.
Yes the EV experience is great.
But trying to do a 58 mile freeway commute in even a new 2013 or 2014 SV or SL with the heat pump heater is a bad idea for most people.
Might work somewhat OK on a two year lease, but it will take some strong commitment. A few are willing to do it no matter what but many have not been very happy with it.
See the comments on range in the battery capacity thread beginning at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&start=6780#p364639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

At this point the LEAF is not a vehicle you buy and keep and use for 100,000 to 150,000 miles.
For many the 24 kWh battery will require replacement at just beyond 50,000 to 60,000 miles.
No idea what that will cost. Nissan will not say yet.
They floated a tentative $100 per month battery rental idea but that would only keep capacity above 66.25%.

That idea was hated so much by most that they went back to the drawing board and will be announcing some new ideas in the next few months.
The old ICE idea to buy used and then run it into the ground over many years does not yet work for the LEAF :cry:

I live near Salt Lake City, Utah. After more research I am thinking I will pass on the 2011 Nissan Leaf models as a lot of bugs are usually in any first year model of a car.

I think I still have a few years left on my current internal combustion Chevrolet Aveo. I get around 33 miles to the gallon with it. I will not drive a Nissan Leaf from what I have read on frigid winter days. The range being reduced up to 50 percent is not something I am interested in. My wife could use it on these days as she doesn't usually travel more than 35 miles in one day.

I want to buy a used Nissan Leaf but I want knowledge of how much it is going to be to replace a degraded battery. That is knowledge that will be seen in the future.

One nice thing is a have a free charging point for electric cars that is about 1.5 miles from my work. Can you flip up the back seat and throw bike in a Nissan Leaf?

The 2011 and 2012 models made in Japan actually have turned out to be more reliable than the 2013+ made in Tenn... However, as was stated earlier, I'd stay away from a car that old due to battery degradation...

2048Megabytes said:
I live near Salt Lake City, Utah. After more research I am thinking I will pass on the 2011 Nissan Leaf models as a lot of bugs are usually in any first year model of a car.

If you could get a used 2012 Nissan Leaf for $8,500 and replace the batteries for another $4,000 that would not be a bad deal though if it had 80,000 miles or less on it.

Does anyone know if you can fit a bike in the back of a Nissan Leaf by flipping the seats up?

^

1) The resale on these is not so depressed yet that you have a chance in hell of finding one for $8500, no matter what the mileage, unless it comes on a salvage title.

2) There is no way currently you'll find a new LEAF* battery at any price, never mind $4000.

*You do have a chance of finding a "new" Renault battery for that kind of money. But then, those won't fit in a LEAF.

mwalsh said:
There is no way currently you'll find a new LEAF* battery at any price, never mind $4000.

Renault electric cars aren't available in the United States are they? What is the replacement cost for a Nissan Leaf battery from the dealer?

I was looking here at the below website. I should call them and see what the estimated costs would charge to put a new battery into an electric car:

http://electriccarinternational.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, you can put a bike in there pretty easily.

Do not be too quick to buy a used Leaf. It might cost more than a new one.

A saw a used 2011 for sale recently for just over $17k. It has left the lot, but I don't know if it sold. With all the tax credits and no WA sales tax for new EV's, I can't imagine it was a great deal.

2048Megabytes said:
What is the replacement cost for a Nissan Leaf battery from the dealer?
Did you fail to read or comprehend my previous response :roll: :?:
At this point Nissan will not provide a price and will not sell a replacement battery :!: :!:

With the recent boost in gasoline prices lately I imagine it will boost electric car sales. It has gone up about 40 cents per gallon here. :(

It makes me want to buy an electric vehicle every time the gasoline companies pull these price manipulations before Memorial Day and at other times. In my thoughts it will be best to wait on an electric vehicle purchase since over $13,000 is out of my price range.

I want to get an electric wind generator put in my back yard next year if all goes as planned. At least that will lower my electric bill every month.

The sedan I replaced with the leaf only got 13 mills per gallon in the city, so at the 4.20/gal we pay in Chicago (only was a little under 4 even in the winter), and the .03 mile I pay in the leaf, its like saving 29 cents a mile.

For the 191 a month (2k down, 300 return fee) is about 50% offset by the gas savings alone. If we drive 10 miles a year I could totally offset the cost. This doesn't include the lower operating costs and reduced license fees in state.

I would only buy if range is increased by 50% or more

Back