Charging handle gasket question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arobint

Charge plug has not been releasing easily the last month or so, requiring using the lock button on the key fob sometimes. Then tonight it wouldn’t plug into the car anymore, and upon closer inspection I could see the gasket all bunched up around the lower pin, preventing the handle from going all the way in. I considered opening up the handle, but the pentalobe screws put an end to that, and ended up pulling out the gasket with a pair of tweezers. Now it works fine but I’m worried about getting shocked or worse… is this part under warranty at all? Is there significant risk with it not there? Anyone successfully repair one of these? Thanks!

The Nissan portable EVSE that came with the car is covered by the 5-year, 60,000-mile EV Powertrain warranty. I don't know if the gasket is available as a repair part. I doubt that the dealer will replace the whole EVSE just because the gasket is missing or broken. If the gasket is not too badly damaged, you may be able to push it back into place. I have used a small screwdriver or similar tool to push the gasket back into position several times over the years (once or twice at home and several times on public charging stations). It should not hurt anything to use the EVSE without the gasket in place under dry conditions. There may be a slight risk of getting moisture into the connection if charging in a hard rain.

Back