Charger Won't Work in Cold Temps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llclark22

I have an EVI Portable EV charger. Model number: PC-0113-AA-SM and am finding when the temperatures dip below about 20 degrees or so, the charger will not keep charging. It responds immediately as if it is charging but turns off after about 5 seconds or so. When I bring it inside and let it warm up for a while, it will then charge. Has anyone experienced similar problems? If so, were you able to resolve it AND how? Thanks!

I have it packed in a plastic bag with silica packages and some rice. I am hoping that there was some moisture in the system and this has been freezing during the cold temps. It is supposed to get really cold here later this week so I guess I will find out!

I believe that EVSEs contain relays. It's possible that in the low temps the relays are sticking, or a bad solder joint as mentioned earlier. Solder joints can become "dry" where under certain temperature situations, they no longer have contact. If it's a solder joint issue, an electronics repair shop should be able to fix it, but it likely will cost $50-60 assuming they know what they're doing and can easily identify the problem.

Back