charger sleeve through garage wall

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
asimba2 said:
ElectricEddy said:
Its the proximity to the overpresure vent that's the issue, mind you the water spigot would come in handy in case of mishap.

Your theory, that somehow the middle section of my J1772 cord is going to spark and cause an explosion, is ridiculous. If you don't like what I did, then go ahead and pass your cord under the garage door and risk the metal door closing on it causing an actual short. That practice is exactly why I rerouted my cord a different way.
No "theory" intended. The gas code here inhibits installation of electrical devices within 1.5 meters of a gas vent with the rationale being a sparking device could produce an unwanted ignition upon emergency release of gas pressure under some conditions (It just wouldn't pass code).
The "practice" of of running a cord under a garage door is obviously worse.
In my case and in other such installs a thru-way capable of being closed( "4" pvc is just fine ) conforms because you can bring the j1771 connector back through the hole after charging without having to disconnect the actual cable from the evse supply unit.
If you need more clarification, maybe e-mail a picture of your installation to the local Safety Authority and see what they have to say.

If you don't like what I did, then go ahead and pass your cord under the garage door and risk the metal door closing on it causing an actual short. That practice is exactly why I rerouted my cord a different way.

The easiest safe way to run the cable under a garage door is to cut a long 2x4 so that you have two lengths that together add up to about 3" less than the width of the door, stand them on edge (and preferably secure them) with that 3" gap where you want the cable to exit, and run it between them. You can then cut another hole in the door-slide rail to either use the existing locking rod, or just a little padlock (much easier) to lock it in that almost-closed position.

TimLee said:
powersurge said:
... So, I for one, will always call my charging station "MY CHARGER", and my main battery will always be my 24KW battery.
Always amazing how enthusiastic some people are about being wrong ;)

Similar to those who throw trash out of their cars on the streets and dump their trash on vacant lots.
You won me over. I will never call it an EVSE again. I will also not stay off your lawn anymore.

EVSE is a poor acronym (does not roll off the tongue, similar to ChaDeMo or whatever the hell it is), charger while incorrect, gets the job done so much more easily. I am officially ceasing my efforts to be correct today.

"Charge cable" is both fairly short and accurate. Still, it lacks that Millennial Brevity that so endears the current vernacular to us old-timers. I suggest you go with "charge-thing."

Back