ChargePoint Network // SPX Povisioning Hiccup

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFer

Been charging regularly on an SPX sponsored install of a Coulomb CT500.

All ChargePoint stations (EVSEs) have a name (usually related to location or shopping mall name, etc) and station number assigned to them.

Last night, after plugging in with 07:00am End-Only-Time, as usual, 25 minutes after not drawing power I received an email with the expected text of

Dear <fn> <ln>,

We wanted to let you know that your vehicle, which is charging at <STN NAME/ID>, is drawing very little power. Typically, this means it's fully charged, however, it may also indicate that your vehicle is configured for delayed charging. Your vehicle has accepted 0.00 kWh of electricity and has been plugged in for 00:25:01 (hh:mm:ss).

Thank you,
Team ChargePoint
("<fn> <ln>" = FirstName/LastName redacted for privacy reasons)

<STN NAME/ID> has always been "CHEVROLET VOLT / <fn> <ln> 01".

It now says on both the station's scrolling LED display and last night's email: "FORD C-MAX / <fn> <ln> 01"

:shock:

Although I might be interested in an Energi (plug-in) ... we don't own a Ford. It's time for a phone call :roll:

Is Ford trying to take advantage of low LEAF sales in constructive ways ? :lol:

Or is Dr. Lyle Dennis' move from Volt to Ford at play here :lol:

Edit: changed title from "ChargePoint Network Hiccup ?" to "ChargePoint Network // SPX Povisioning Hiccup"

Update: called ChargePoint support. They are pointing finger at SPX, who are responsible for "provisioning", thus the EVSE Station Name/ID was changed there. They will escalate at SPX. I am really curious regarding the explanation.

Update 3:

<STN NAME/ID> as of this morning is now "CHEVY VOLT / <fn> <ln> 01".

( Note the shortening of Chevrolet to Chevy ;) )

smkettner said:
Another reason to avoid SPX and GM
Just to be very clear. We are happy with the EVSE.

The unit is *NOT* an SPX unit. It is a solid well-working Coulomb unit (well .. except for the problem with the light-green colored O-ring in the J-plug ... see other thread). There has been a ground-fault or two before, but that was a looong time ago and may have been pilot error. The functionality of the station (installed outside on a west-facing garage wall) is not in question.

The installation was SPX-sponsored due to the acquisition of a Chevy Volt, and the install was fully subsidized (via DOE money). Due to the fact that we had already spent $ on the sub-panel install for the LEAF EVSE, no additional $ was spent to get the Coulomb unit installed.

So ... we do not have what IMHO is a sub-standard SPX Voltec EVSE. But we still are subject to the DOE program rules. SPX does the "provisioning" and data collection from the EVSE for DOE, although the data is (in this case) also available thru the ChargePoint Network.

Due to some life-changes ... the Volt is now charging inside the garage on what the LEAF used to charge on, and the LEAF charges outside on the Coulomb unit. DOE just might be wondering how the Volt's battery has "grown" to almost twice its original size :lol: ... but that's no reason for namecalling of the Volt (Ford C-Max). ;)

Update 4:

<STN NAME/ID> as of this morning is back to the original "CHEVROLET VOLT / <fn> <ln> 01".

( Rather than the temporary shortened "Chevy Volt". )

I also heard from another Volt owner; he had the same issue with his SPX-sponsored CT-500.

Back