ChargePoint ChargePass

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gascant said:
If you charge at Coulomb Tech Home Office, they charge the $0.50 to your account. It's convenient for me, at least, because it's next to a trail on which I have been known to run ;)

The $0.50 did not get posted against my account with yesterday's charge in South San Francisco.
You should not see a bill from using the ones in the South San Francisco garage as they are free. The ones outside the Coulomb office are $0.50 an hour with a $0.50 minimum. You can check prices in advance on the http://www.mychargepoint.net web site and I suspect on the app.

BudRaymond said:
smkettner said:
DarkStar said:
ChargePoint also charges the host $0.50 every time a card is authorized, but you didn't hear that from me... :cool:
I need to look for the bill on that ;) Does the 50 cents get charged if the station is set up for free access?

No, Chargepoint only charges the site owner if the site owner is charging the user.
That's strange since I've spoken with two different cities that wanted to provide free charging and they both told me that due to the $0.50 fee they chose to go with a different EVSE manufacturer.

That's really good news as I really like the Coulomb interface!

DarkStar said:
...That's strange since I've spoken with two different cities that wanted to provide free charging and they both told me that due to the $0.50 fee they chose to go with a different EVSE manufacturer...
It's possible they were simply looking ahead to when they might want to charge a fee, and decided not to get roped into the ChargePoint model.

TRONZ said:
Lopton said:
There were 2 Volt's there and us, and 2 gas cars parked in spots. When we got back from shopping 3 gas cars all with parking tickets :D and our leaf charging happy as a clam.

-Matt

Yikes! That would have been all the charge spots. The next EV would have been screwed! They will tow if you call them and I am very glad to see them ticketing.
We went to the Santa Monica Place mall yesterday (our first public charging, picked up the car last Thurs). They have about 6 J1772 and 2 paddle chargers (why?). The EV spots are right after the entry gate and as close as you can get to the mall entry (closer than the handicapped spots, which seemed strange). Anyway, great experience, well worth the trip.

LALeaf said:
We went to the Santa Monica Place mall yesterday (our first public charging, picked up the car last Thurs). They have about 6 J1772 and 2 paddle chargers (why?)

Many RAV4EV's observed in Santa Monica, per this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3472

Just a note I finally bugged enough people at Chargepoint and they have fixed the location of the Santa Monica stations on their maps. :D They now show in the parking structure instead of across the street.

-Matt

EricH said:
LALeaf said:
We went to the Santa Monica Place mall yesterday (our first public charging, picked up the car last Thurs). They have about 6 J1772 and 2 paddle chargers (why?)

Many RAV4EV's observed in Santa Monica, per this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3472
Yeah, forgot about those. I guess I was thinking EV1.

As I mentioned, we had a great experience with the mall, but while we standing next to our car and were trying to get through to the call center (hard to do in a noisy parking structure with a nice soft talking lady in India), we kept having ICE cars pull into the spot next to us, (which happened to be the last EV spot before the ICE spots started). Each time an ICE pulled in we tried to explain why they couldn't/shouldn't park there, and each time we got a somewhat confused response back from the drivers. While they clearly seemed to understand it was a spot with a charger for an EV they didn't seem to understand that it was a EV only spot. We got a lot of 'really?', 'well, that's strange', 'are you sure'. No one was angry, just kinda confused. I think maybe the signage could be a bit better, then again almost all the EV spots were empty (except our Leaf, a Volt and the one at a time confused ICE driver - about 8 spots total), so almost every ICE that passed by got it. Kinda of a strange experience. My wife said I have to learn not to be the EV police, Of course I thought I was just trying to help ICE drivers from getting a ticket or being towed.

I noticed on the PlugShare app that the Ralphs in the Marina has two L2 EVSEs listed. However, I thought that those were were old paddle chargers, does any know if they have been upgraded?

LALeaf said:
... we kept having ICE cars pull into the spot next to us, (which happened to be the last EV spot before the ICE spots started).

I was there yesterday too, from 1:30 to about 5pm. Every time I've parked there (3 or 4 times), an ICE car will also park in one of the EV spots right after I park. I think they assume that my car is a regular car (a lot of my friends saw my car for the first time this weekend and they all said "oh, it's like a real car") and that they can park there as well. I told the guy yesterday who parked next to me that he might be towed and he was really appreciative that I let him know. Saw another red Leaf with Santa Monica Nissan plates when I got there and saw a black Leaf when I left!

malloryk said:
I told the guy yesterday who parked next to me that he might be towed and he was really appreciative that I let him know. Saw another red Leaf with Santa Monica Nissan plates when I got there and saw a black Leaf when I left!

I think Mallory has a very elegant solution to the problem - simply point out to anyone trying to park there while you are at your car (as nicely as humanly possible, obviously) that they are EV parking spaces and that regular cars are subject to tow. Most drivers will appreciate you pointing it out to them.

But I would also give drivers a few minutes benefit of the doubt - a couple of times while I've been there, a husband/wife has used those spots for just a few minutes as a loading/drop-off zone for the spouse/kids/dog/pushchairs.

mwalsh said:
I think Mallory has a very elegant solution to the problem - simply point out to anyone trying to park there while you are at your car (as nicely as humanly possible, obviously) that they are EV parking spaces and that regular cars are subject to tow. Most drivers will appreciate you pointing it out to them.
Which is what I was trying to do. What got me was just the general confusion that seemed to be common with the ICE drivers trying to park in the EV spots.

Now if we could just get more places with J1772 EVSEs, the experience would be even better.

Just got back from Fashion Island. Including mine, there were 3 LEAFs there tonight.... AND only two chargers! In hind sight, we were lucky to get the #2 stall. Because when we came out to leave at 8:30pm there was a third LEAF backed into a stall behind us. I hope he was not desperate for a charge. I already think it's time for them to install alot more chargers!!! I took a pic of the 3 cars (all silver ones) and am sending it to ChargePoint to draw their attention to the demand.

Anyone at Ecotality reading this!?!?

TRONZ said:
Just got back from Fashion Island. Including mine, there were 3 LEAFs there tonight.... AND only two chargers! In hind sight, we were lucky to get the #2 stall. Because when we came out to leave at 8:30pm there was a third LEAF backed into a stall behind us. I hope he was not desperate for a charge. I already think it's time for them to install alot more chargers!!! I took a pic of the 3 cars (all silver ones) and am sending it to ChargePoint to draw their attention to the demand.

Anyone at Ecotality reading this!?!?

You will need to send the request to Don Bren.

Has anyone used the chargepoint in Ventura?

Name: RALSTON CRTYRDS / GO GREEN #2
Address: 5525 Ralston St, Ventura, California 93003, United States
Description: The Towbes Group, Inc.
Status as of: 2011-06-10 10:02:57 (PDT)
Port 1: 120V, 16A, NEMA 5-20R:Available
Port 2: 208/240V, 30A, J1772:Available
Access: Unrestricted
Action: Get Directions
Price: Free

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=5525%20Ralston%20St,%20Ventura,%20California%2093003,%20United%20States&sll=&sspn=&ie=UTF8

cdub said:
Has anyone used the chargepoint in Ventura?

Name: RALSTON CRTYRDS / GO GREEN #2
Address: 5525 Ralston St, Ventura, California 93003, United States
Description: The Towbes Group, Inc.
Status as of: 2011-06-10 10:02:57 (PDT)
Port 1: 120V, 16A, NEMA 5-20R:Available
Port 2: 208/240V, 30A, J1772:Available
Action: Get Directions
Price: Free

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=5525%20Ralston%20St,%20Ventura,%20California%2093003,%20United%20States&sll=&sspn=&ie=UTF8

Hey, that's very cool, cdub. That's only about 53 miles from Santa Monica via Route 1.

We have friends in Ventura and we could actually make the trip from Santa Monica. Unfortunately, we'd need a 6 hour charge in Santa Monica to be able to make it to Ventura. Let's see, we start out early, get to Santa Monica by 8 am. Charge til 2 pm while we shop, eat, walk around and see a movie, and then head for Ventura. Hmmm. Of course, we could just drive to our friends' house and plug in the trickle charger overnight.

Regarding Coulomb ChargePoint chargers at:
RALSTON CRTYRDS / GO GREEN
Address: 5525 Ralston St
Ventura, California 93003

This is a new apartment complex, located next to the Ventura Courthouse complex. Parking lot is posted Residents Only. Development caters to “an urban apartment community built with the needs of the professional in mind. The community pays special attention to today’s electronic requirements”. These chargers are primarily for residents and their guests. Consider a private site for attended emergency use for non-residents. Recommend to request permission when on site.

From Hwy 101 Exit Victoria North to Ralston, turn Left Ralston Courtyards is on your right. Enter main driveway, turn right on first parking lane. Chargers are on the North wall of the Pool area. Site contact & phone#: 805-856-3456 http://www.ralstoncourtyards.com

Don't count on the unit listed at:
COURTESY CHARGE / DRIVE SAFELY
Address: 742 Seward St, Los Angeles, California 90038, United States
Status as of: 2011-06-10 13:23:05 (PDT)
Port 1: 208/240V, 30A, J1772:Available

Either it is not at this location or it is in a gated garage inside the building.

Aren't the Chargepoint EVSEs paid for by a grant from the US Government? If so, how can they be for private use only? Did our government happen to forget a public use clause in their contract with Coulomb?

LALeaf said:
Aren't the Chargepoint EVSEs paid for by a grant from the US Government? If so, how can they be for private use only? Did our government happen to forget a public use clause in their contract with Coulomb?
Many are purchased and installed with private money. Unfortunately it would appear the map locations and access listed is not always accurate.

Back