Chargepoint at LAX... the only way to fly.. almost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Omkar, I've got an open offer to go unplug (and secure, if wanted) the L1 for anyone on here who needs the service, providing it coincides with a work day for me. Heck, get me your spare fob in advance and I'll even secure the L1 in the trunk of your own vehicle and/or move it off the EVSE stall, if that's what you want.

Thanks Michael, that is very cool of you! I missed that in the other thread and just reread it again now. I may take you up on it. :D

occ said:
Hey omkar, I'll be in the same boat (I'm in Tustin). I think we will need plan B - hoping that 1 of 2 spots available to charge is not very good odds to avoid being stranded.

My plan was to visit SouthCoast Plaza for an hour to top off the LEAF, which is 39 miles one way, but the roundtrip back to South Coast Plaza is 80 miles...cutting it close.

An alternate would be to downtown Anaheim, at city hall (according to Chargepoint), which is 34 miles one way.

Both places have restaurants and shopping to kill an hr or so for enough charge to get back to Irvine/Tustin.

What do you think?

I think those are both viable options but it might be easier to stop by at one of the Nissan dealers.

I'm thinking of doing this:
1. First, I'll try to get an L2 spot and put up a courtesy card
2. If both L2's are occupied, I'll use my L1 EVSE (secured with padlock) and see if Michael is available to unplug and secure it
3. If both L2's and both L1's are occupied OR if I can't park close enough, I'll leave a key with someone who would be kind enough to visit LAX to plug my car in.
4. If I don't have any luck with the above, I will try to stop by one of the dealers on the 405 (Power, Carson, or Hooman). I think I might even be able to make it down to Surf City but that might be cutting it a little too close for comfort.

omkar said:
Sparky, thanks for the pictures of the charging stations in Parking Structure 1. I hope there is a free one when I try parking at LAX as I'll definitely need the charge to make it back home.
I emailed the ChargePoint folks (Coulomb) and explained how popular the LAX spots have become (included the picture of 3 LEAFS and two Volts). I asked them to consider expanding the number of outlets there ASAP.
Got this:
"We greatly appreciate this feedback and will forward your request for more charging stations at LAX to our channel partner in your area." Better than no response. I figure the more requests they get the more serious they'll take it into consideration.
Also fired off an email to the Parking Spot at LAX since I've used them in the past. Asked if there were 120V outlets for plug-in cars or if not, could they add some since it would make a difference with my driving distance.
They "Guest Satisfaction Coordinator" responded very quickly with this:
" I will definitely pass your request along to Operations for you, it is a great suggestion! "

The squeaky wheel gets the oil... not that we need that anymore.

Got back from my 11 day trip. $289.00 in parking became $0.00. It did take them a few minutes to write it up, but just relax and don't be in a hurry. LAX should only focus on putting 110 outlets since most people will be parking there for over 24 hours. I parked my Leaf in lot 6 just to keep it covered and was never able to charge it because there are no J-1172 chargers in lot 6. As far as losing charge while parked, when I parked I had 7 bars (50 miles) / on the return 11 days later 6 bars (46 miles).

PolarExpress said:
Got back from my 11 day trip. $289.00 in parking became $0.00. It did take them a few minutes to write it up, but just relax and don't be in a hurry. LAX should only focus on putting 110 outlets since most people will be parking there for over 24 hours. I parked my Leaf in lot 6 just to keep it covered and was never able to charge it because there are no J-1172 chargers in lot 6. As far as losing charge while parked, when I parked I had 7 bars (50 miles) / on the return 11 days later 6 bars (46 miles).

There were three over there when I was by on Wednesday last, which would have been yours? I'm guessing not the filthy one?

I just did a "test run" at LAX to be sure that the parking was still free (I'm becoming my parents) and it is. As you stated, there is no way to charge, but I felt so special in the EV parking section. And free parking AT LAX vs at a distant lot is such a bonus! We live 20 minutes from LAX so charging isn't an issue.

You can park anywhere in the structure but I liked being by the cool kids....

I went to LAX to pick up spouse at Southwest and parked in Lot 1 to check it out. The 2 (and only 2) J1772 L2s had a Volt and a LEAF connected. I had a nice chat with a pilot with a Volt who parked opposite one of the stations on the other side of a low wall so he could access the L1 for his Volt. I knew he was a pilot because he was in uniform! :D Volt J1772s evidentally don't have a hole in the trigger like ours to pass a lock through so his technique was to loop the cable through the "spoke" in the front wheel and then attach a ji-normous! padlock. He offered the comment that when he plugs in at a public station, he always makes it L1 because he knows that "LEAFs really need the L2".
We had a nice chat about all things LEAF and Volt. I brought spouse back to car and we took a tour of whole area looking at old small paddle stations, the 5 RAV 4s hooked up, several LEAFs, and Volts. I had the charge point card so we talked about how to use the stations and looked at where you swipe it on the charge point stations. So....we are both thoroughly up to speed and now will park the LEAF there for short away trips we take. It felt so weird to actually go into the airport and meet someone. I had not done that in years! We normally just text and then swoop in for the pick up at curbside.
One LEAF that was parked had a license plate frame that said "I see your Prius and raise you one". Cute! Almost as good as "more pious that a prius"! Of note, the cars at the L2s did not display the charging courtesy placard in their windshields that indicates when they can be unplugged. I wish that convention would catch on.
Upon exit, the kiosk person asked for the fee. I said "It's electric". He did not comment further but called a manager over and she asked for my phone number and my driver's license. She did a lot of writing down (about what I do not know). It took about 10 minutes. And we passed then without paying. :lol: Yay! We are good to go for LAX!

Kataphn said:
Of note, the cars at the L2s did not display the charging courtesy placard in their windshields that indicates when they can be unplugged. I wish that convention would catch on.

We need to start leaving a note on the offending cars, telling them how to get one and how to use it.

For some, who just don't care, even the suggestion of "sharing" might be considered an outrage.

However, leaving an actual Share-Charging-Station (SCS) card (what is it called?) (AND a paper-clip) instead of a suggestion to go to the Internet, print, etc. ... might be more effective.

I just started a new Thread to discuss sharing solutions and Create SCS cards..

omkar said:
Great report Kat! Any other recent LAX trip reports?

I parked for the day on Thursday, about 8 LEAFS and 2 Volts, all charging spots were full. Glad I did not need to charge, even though I had decals they needed all of my information for the free parking.

I'm taking delivery of my LEAF in late July and then need to take a trip out of LAX in mid-August. Of course, I won't have my vehicle license plate yet (or parking decal, HOV sticker, et cetera). Is that going to be okay?

I think people mentioned that all they ask for is the drivers license, VIN, and check for no tail pipe but just wanted to confirm. Don't want to make an expensive mistake :)

I'm 80 mi from LAX roundtrip, so still debating whether to attempt this. To be conservative, gonna assume that the Chargepoint stations won't be available for me to charge. I know it's gonna make my wife anxious watching those bars :)

I had no decals and did not have a problem at the exit kiosk. It just took awhile because they wanted driver license and wrote stuff down (what exactly I do not know). I will be dropping off spouse again on Friday at LAX so plan to park there again. Fortunately, we live only a few miles from the airport so do not need to charge.

popak said:
I'm taking delivery of my LEAF in late July and then need to take a trip out of LAX in mid-August. Of course, I won't have my vehicle license plate yet (or parking decal, HOV sticker, et cetera). Is that going to be okay?

I think people mentioned that all they ask for is the drivers license, VIN, and check for no tail pipe but just wanted to confirm. Don't want to make an expensive mistake :)

I'm 80 mi from LAX roundtrip, so still debating whether to attempt this. To be conservative, gonna assume that the Chargepoint stations won't be available for me to charge. I know it's gonna make my wife anxious watching those bars :)

yeah it's getting pretty crowded around those 2 stations...been seeing 4-5 leafs there last couple of times. You could bring your L1 charger and an extension cord and possibly park further away and still get a charge (remember to bring a lock), but I am not sure if both L1 are occupied but done charging can a different user unlock the door?

lettcco said:
yeah it's getting pretty crowded around those 2 stations...been seeing 4-5 leafs there last couple of times. You could bring your L1 charger and an extension cord and possibly park further away and still get a charge (remember to bring a lock), but I am not sure if both L1 are occupied but done charging can a different user unlock the door?

I did call up Chargepoint and talked to a CS. He did say you can separately use the 120v port when the J1772 is being used...of course that's coming from a CS, so hopefully they are more informed than the Nissan CS.

occ said:
I did call up Chargepoint and talked to a CS. He did say you can separately use the 120v port when the J1772 is being used...of course that's coming from a CS, so hopefully they are more informed than the Nissan CS.
Yes, there are 2 ChargePoint units out there, each with an L1 and L2. So four cars could be charging. I guess I'm wondering if even the L1s would be occupied when I go.
1051 said:
I parked for the day on Thursday, about 8 LEAFS and 2 Volts, all charging spots were full. Glad I did not need to charge
If they are all occupied, I'm wondering the same as lettcco:
lettcco said:
I am not sure if both L1 are occupied but done charging can a different user unlock the door?
I'm planning to attempt tomorrow and my backup plan if I can't connect is to stop by a dealership on the way back.

omkar said:
I'm planning to attempt tomorrow and my backup plan if I can't connect is to stop by a dealership on the way back.

Don't forget the other 120v outlets dotted around the parking structures (typically by the elevators. Or at least they were in Lot 6). You may have a shot at parking by one of those.

mwalsh said:
Don't forget the other 120v outlets dotted around the parking structures (typically by the elevators. Or at least they were in Lot 6). You may have a shot at parking by one of those.
I did not know that. I will keep an eye out for those.

If all the spots are full along the row of the charging stations, then you can circle around, go into the actual covered structure and see if there is a parking space opposite the charging stations. Then throw your L1 over the low wall and connect to the L1 that way. So basically, you will be nose to nose with the car that is in the actual charging space with a low wall between you.

Back