CHAdeMO Disconnects TEPCO Man As President, Plugs Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/08/chademo-disconnects-tepco-man-as-president-plugs-nissan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The presidency of CHAdeMO was in the hands of Tsunehisa Katsumata, a former TEPCO President who is still chairman of TEPCO and who holds the dubious title of Chairman of TEPCO’s Corporate Ethics Committee...

In a terse statement, TEPCO announced that Katsumata will resign “in order to focus on the restoration efforts connected to the nuclear accident at Fukushima 1 nuclear power plant.” (Rub it in, boys.)

The CHAdeMO helm will be taken by Toshiyuki Shiga, COO of Nissan and Chairman of Japan’s influential auto manufacturers association JAMA.

I'm hoping it's a good thing. With a Nissan exec at the top spot of CHAdeMO, now there's REALLY nothing to stop Nissan from pushing this thing whole hog here in the US (and elsewhere) if they really wanted to.

Positive article coment:
Nissan has not released the number of firm orders for the 2011 Leaf SL that included the optional Quick Charge CHAdeMO port. Those of us who paid extra are hopeful that CHAdeMO chargers will be available for a fee to charge our cars when we make extended trips such as Los Angeles to San Diego. I vision leaving my home and making the 65 mile drive to San Diego and topping off at a CHAdeMO for an enjoyable day at the famous Zoo or Space Museum. If I want to return home the same day it will require another CHAdeMO Quick Charge for the round trip.

Normal day to day use is about 35 miles and I use the J-1772 port with the 120v EVSE that came with the car. Yes, the Leaf has two ports for the enjoyable occasion that I take extended trips. I believe there are already hundreds of Leaf owners with CHAdeMO ports in the Los Angeles area that would love to take a trip to the local mountains, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas or San Diego and use the Quick Charge electric highway as it has been proposed.

We are early adapters who want to show this technology at its best.

7-Eleven (#34758) at 3993 N Sierra Way San Bernardino,CA 92404 is a perfect example of a viable CHAdeMO Quick Charge location at the base of the San Bernardino mountains that would be a food and charge point for Leaf skiers, campers, hikers, astronomers, honeymooners and fishermen.

I have recently been allowed to use the public Eaton CHAdeMO Quick Charger at the Mitsubishi US Headquarters in Cypress, CA. The Leaf looked pretty coo surrounded by a ton of i MiEV’s. It believe there are untold advantages in having the 120v – 240v J-1772 port separate from the additional safety, engineering and extensive software differences of the CHAdeMO port. The CHAdeMO port software and hardware works for me today. (I used to be a CADCAM software salesman and advised caution about constant vaporware promises of competitors.) I was very grateful that Mitsubishi and Nissan are leading the way in proven safe Quick Charge technology and they are delivering today.

Leaf and i MiEV drivers thank you Mitsubishi & Nissan for being real.

Sure its a good thing. It consolidates Japanese manufacturers around CHAdeMO. It would be safe to say that any Japanese EV with QC will now use the CHAd standard.

Herm said:
I dont understand why the Japanese have had so many issues with nuclear safety, they have a tradition of high work ethics and high quality yet all these issues pop up. Lets hope its not an oriental thing and the Chinese do better, they better or else!

Knowing the typical quality of Chinese made goods, I'd be quite scared to have them building a nuclear reactor in my back yard. I'd much rather have a Japanese built reactor.

Back