CATL Full Battery 64 Kwh with BMS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneesh84

I am a Leaf owner in Portugal. I was also approached by a Chinese Company that sells these CATL sells. Would like to hear some feedback.

https://augbattery.en.alibaba.com/p...l?spm=a2700.shop_index.67407.4.7acb6c82yGkK3I

Company website: https://www.augenergy.com/

They claim its an NCM811 based battery with cells from CATL using prismatic cells.

The price for the complete battery pack of 24KWH is 4640USD, 40KWH is 7699USD, 64KWH is 10823USD. This comes with a Leaf compatible Canbridge and own BMS Solution.

I havnt heard of these batteries being installed in Europe but in china and middle east it has begun to be used in the Leaf.

H7325b0d2c3834100a288db6e659ecd52A.jpg

I saw those the other day while searching for something else, 40kwh pack as €4,291.20 for 1 "sample" with an MOQ of 2 for the bigger packs, it'll be interesting to see what the shipping and duty fees are for them.

I was looking at ordering 16 modules of these for a total of 40kWh:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/CATL-A-Grade-3-7V-6S1P_1600448010173.html

I would do the swapping myself in my 24kWh battery pack but I'm not sure if this is even a possibility. How would the car know the cells are "bigger" and that it can now travel a lot more on a charge?

I agree these are made in China, they claim it's from CATL and each cell has a unique 3d barcode that shows who manufactured them. I believe the barcode usually provides as well the grade of the cell.

belanger said:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/CATL-A-Grade-3-7V-6S1P_1600448010173.html

I would do the swapping myself in my 24kWh battery pack but I'm not sure if this is even a possibility. How would the car know the cells are "bigger" and that it can now travel a lot more on a charge?

I agree these are made in China, they claim it's from CATL and each cell has a unique 3d barcode that shows who manufactured them. I believe the barcode usually provides as well the grade of the cell.

I have seen many russian videos of these cells being used. The vendor whose link I posted also supply with the CANBUS and have sent me many videos of their testing the leaf with the CATL batteries. I believe over a full discharge/charge cycle the BMS learns the new capacity and updates the new range.

belanger said:

I would do the swapping myself in my 24kWh battery pack but I'm not sure if this is even a possibility. How would the car know the cells are "bigger" and that it can now travel a lot more on a charge?tiny fishing

Can you talk more about 3d barcode?
tiny fishing

Nize1946 said:
Can you talk more about 3d barcode?
If you search on ali for "LiFePO4 200ah", many of the "rectangular/flat cells" (blue, green, purple, etc) will have between the 2 +- poles a small "stainless or aluminum?" plate that has a laser engraved 3d barcode. Those who don't have such plate are made by "unknown" companies are might be of low quality.

Using a smart device w/ a camera, you can open the link. It will go to a manufacturer's web site and the information available should be specific to the cell. That also include the grade (level of quality) of the cell, something quite important. Barcodes are unique for each cell. Using calibrated tools, it would be possible to validate if the info from the barcode matches or not the cell.

I would be interested in seeing these aftermarket batteries: but they should be installed by a reputable company like @Muxsan or @Dala?

All EV batteries come from China, so I'm not that afraid about the risks. But for now there is hardly a aftermarket....

I believe Muxsan basically sells used battery packs and not new ones.

I’ve been looking at these battery packs from Australia. Seems there are a few companies have installed new leaf batteries. I’m not clear where they sourced their batteries from.

I’m expecting a detailed quote from a Alibaba supplier with shipping and can-bus electricals to swap in a new battery pack to upgrade a 2014 24kw.hr leaf to 62kw.hr. I’m expecting to also do a suspension spring upgrade to retain ride height.

Bare quote ex works for 62kw.hr pack yesterday USD5500 (CATL upgraded modules 2000 cycles, 1 year warranty) shipping extra.

While the battery chemistry has improved in other makes/models of ev’s, the price point of Nissan leaf, and proven reliable drivetrain is hard to match.

Has anyone seen updates on the battery cooling issue? (Rapidgate - battery charge rate reduced from 50kw to 20kw when battery hot) I was expecting some magician to test ducted cold air from aircon into the battery pack.
I am a Leaf owner in Portugal. I was also approached by a Chinese Company that sells these CATL sells. Would like to hear some feedback.

https://augbattery.en.alibaba.com/p...l?spm=a2700.shop_index.67407.4.7acb6c82yGkK3I

Company website: https://www.augenergy.com/

They claim its an NCM811 based battery with cells from CATL using prismatic cells.

The price for the complete battery pack of 24KWH is 4640USD, 40KWH is 7699USD, 64KWH is 10823USD. This comes with a Leaf compatible Canbridge and own BMS Solution.

I havnt heard of these batteries being installed in Europe but in china and middle east it has begun to be used in the Leaf.

H7325b0d2c3834100a288db6e659ecd52A.jpg

I’ve been looking at these battery packs from Australia. Seems there are a few companies have installed new leaf batteries. I’m not clear where they sourced their batteries from.

I’m expecting a detailed quote from a Alibaba supplier with shipping and can-bus electricals to swap in a new battery pack to upgrade a 2014 24kw.hr leaf to 62kw.hr. I’m expecting to also do a suspension spring upgrade to retain ride height.

Bare quote ex works for 62kw.hr pack yesterday USD5500 (CATL upgraded modules 2000 cycles, 1 year warranty) shipping extra.

While the battery chemistry has improved in other makes/models of ev’s, the price point of Nissan leaf, and proven reliable drivetrain is hard to match.

Has anyone seen updates on the battery cooling issue? (Rapidgate - battery charge rate reduced from 50kw to 20kw when battery hot) I was expecting some magician to test ducted cold air from aircon into the battery pack.
Well ElectricToolbox, did you ever get those batteries and do the install? Enquiring minds want to know

Well ElectricToolbox, did you ever get those batteries and do the install? Enquiring minds want to know
Fair question & thx for the nudge.

I’m closer to a purchase. Doing another round of sanity checks on the quality and completeness of the kits offered.

Have had some interesting ‘doubter’ questions raised by others elsewhere.

- potential ‘counterfeit’ battery cells - will be requesting traceability documents to prove origin of cells & that 2nd grade cells have not been rebadged

- completeness of kit - due diligence in progress

- verify complete shipping costs

- verify hazardous goods certificates for shipping

- verify potential faults with kit and how to resolve

I’m not under any illusion assembling a 400V 62kw.hr, 100kw capable battery pack is non trivial.

Have you watched some of the videos?. The latest ones I've seen involved taking an angle grinder to cut out certain ribs in the existing pack. And then using adhesive caulking to hold down some of the cells.
Most of the suppliers aren't willing to fully explain or show how the assembly instructions until they receive payment.
I have clients have tried these in their working. But most are nervous about the long term safety and reliability. Time will tell.

Solid points. I’m leaning towards self assembly for these and other reasons.

I have long been bothered by the absence of active cooling in the leaf batteries. Recently heard a YouTuber mention the env200 apparently has active cooling via ducted air from the air conditioning. He also mentioned the battery design hotspots.

preliminary air heat exchange calcs indicate some battery cooling is possible ~1kw maybe (better than nothing) tho I expect Tesla and others chose liquid cooling for good reasons.

Back