carwings driving history

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkshack

I am new to the leaf having it for about a week. My normal commute is about 15 miles. Yesterday I drove a little more. I started out the day with a full charge and the car said I had 101 miles with the ac on. I drove it throughout the day and drove about 52+ miles according to odometer. I ended up at about 24 miles left on the dash.

I looked at carwings it said I went 48 miles and used 12 kwh. With 12kwh used shouldn't I have had half a battery charge. I thought the car held 24kw. Is carwings wrong or is the car understating my milage range.

rkshack

The usable capacity is about 21Kwh... Also, Carwings accuracy is suspect so don't place a lot of faith in it... Even with the Telematics software update, the data accuracy is marginal...

rkshack said:
I looked at carwings it said I went 48 miles and used 12 kwh. With 12kwh used shouldn't I have had half a battery charge. I thought the car held 24kw. Is carwings wrong or is the car understating my milage range.

For any newer LEAF (or an older '11 LEAF that was updated late last year with the telematics fix), CARWINGS energy consumption should be quite accurate. No worries.

I initially looked at the site right after midnight. The next morning I had some further data download and more mileage. The kwh usage went to 13.1. I was averaging 3.9 miles/kwh. If I remember right the mileage was down in the 20s. Does that seem acurate?

rkshack

I really suspect CarWings' data. I have the updated software on my 2011.

I'm averaging 4.3 m/kwh on the odo, 4.4 on the screen, and a whopping 6.1 m/kwh according to CarWings. I don't think so--especially when, between two days for the exact same commute and closer-than-a-fly's-wing of the same energy consumption, it went from 5.5 m/kwh to 6.1! Come on?! Something's fishy here.

Chieftan68 said:
I really suspect CarWings' data. I have the updated software on my 2011.

I'm averaging 4.3 m/kwh on the odo, 4.4 on the screen, and a whopping 6.1 m/kwh according to CarWings.
Are you sure you have the updated software? Did you go in last year for the "telematics connection fix" ( NTB-11-041)? If not, you don't have the fix. (The "voluntary recall" earlier this year, regrettably, does not fix this.) Before this undocumented fix, all LEAFs uploaded ridiculously efficient/inaccurate kWh to CARWINGS. Mine matches the car exactly now.

Hmm, you might have a point here. I just figured they did all of the required updates for the entire car and systems. I bought the car this past May so just assumed...

Anyway I can find out if the fix/recall has been done?

rkshack said:
I initially looked at the site right after midnight. The next morning I had some further data download and more mileage. The kwh usage went to 13.1. I was averaging 3.9 miles/kwh. If I remember right the mileage was down in the 20s. Does that seem accurate?.
As others have said, CarWings is suspect. But no one seems to have pointed to the elephant in the room. When you say "mileage was down in the 20s," and earlier "the car said I had 101 miles with the ac on," You are talking about that big lying number on the dash. Accurate?? NO WAY! That number is never accurate. We call it the GuessOMeter (or GOM) because the car's computer is just making some wild guesses about what you are going to do based on what it has seen in the recent past. In general (though not always) it is way optimistic when the battery is full. In general (and almost always) it is somewhat pessimistic when the battery is getting low. Most of the time you will be far better off ignoring that number and watching the bars around it.

As TomT said, the usable capacity is about 21kWh, not 24kWh. It's sometimes even less than that, depending on battery temperature, age, and how nice you have been to it. But let's assume you used 13.1/21 = 62% of what you can use. Tony's chart says you probably had four bars still showing, and if you kept driving at 3.9 m/kWh you could have gone more than 30 miles farther. Actually, you could have gone farther than that, because what the car's computer doesn't understand, but you know, is that you will become more cautious when you see those last few bars disappearing. You will slow down, accelerate more gently, go lighter on the brakes, turn off the heater and AC, and probably end up getting more like 4.5 or 5.0 m/kWh the rest of the way. And that, Tony's chart says, means you can still go up to 40 miles.

Ray

I am confused. Does the battery hold 24 or 21 kwh. I thought it held 24 but was corrected that it held 21. But now On the chart it says 24 again. Why the difference In the two numbers?

Thanks
Rkshack

rkshack said:
I am confused. Does the battery hold 24 or 21 kwh. I thought it held 24 but was corrected that it held 21. But now On the chart it says 24 again. Why the difference In the two numbers?

Thanks
Rkshack

Hi,
The battery has a total capacity of 24kwh, and of that 21kwh is usable.
I drove mine 19.8 miles after it said I had 0 miles left. About half a mile or so after turtle mode kicked in. I did a write-up of the trip here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8425&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We pilots are used to dealing with such seeming inconsistencies since airplanes will always show that they hold X gallons/pounds of fuel but that only X minus Y is actually usable. It is the same with the Leaf battery pack; you are not allowed to use all of the capacity.

rkshack said:

Back