Carwings....argh!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlegro

Sometimes I really hate software. :evil: I'm a total noobie - got the 2012 Leaf SL on Jan. 31. Every time I start the car, I'm asked to tap OK to allow the car to access Nissan blah-blah - I guess this is Carwings. So I do. I registered on the Nissan owner's portal, and my username and password work fine. I downloaded the Carwings app (iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1). But when I try to log on - the name and password from the portal is what I use, right? - I get "incorrect username or password". So I can't even get started.

The manual is zero help. Except that it tells me my phone has to be able to accept texts. Well, I don't text - I'm paying AT&T way, way more than enough for a phone I rarely use anyway. And when I look at the Carwings various demo display screens, all I see is graphics. And further on in the manual, it implies I don't need texting to see this stuff. But I get the sense that I'll need texting to tell the car to turn on the AC/heat and to start/stop charging?

And as a total noobie, these are just the start of my questions, but I'm learning rapidly. I love our Leaf - it's just like an actual car! :lol: Except better - more comfortable, way quieter, and of course the pollution factor. We also have a 2010 Prius, so the Leaf is our town car, which is why I appreciate the comfort, because L.A. streets are like what's left over after a rash of I.E.D.s.

Anyway, any help on Carwings is much appreciated.

The place to create an account on Nissan's web site is http://www.nissanusa.com/owners -- that is the one that CARWINGS uses, NOT owners.nissanusa.com. Make sure you created your account on the "right" web site.

Also, in the car there are a few options (I can't remember exactly where) to tell carwings to send all sorts of data to the servers -- otherwise it doesn't send as much. Make sure you turn those on if you want to see that data on the web site.

Hi again and thanks for your replies. It turns out that this car was registered with Nissan under somebody else's name. It was an "unwind" - the first owner had leased it but proved to be a fraud in that he didn't work where he said he did and didn't have the income he claimed. So the dealer took back the car before the state registration had gone through and sold it to me as new - I got a new-car contract, the car had about 700 miles on it. But the guy apparently registered it with Nissan, and when I tried to add it to my account, I got the message that it was already registered under someone else's name. So I called Nissan and they straightened it out right away, and now everything is up and running. Though I'm still fairly low on the learning curve. Like I just learned how to change the language from Spanish to English, and "freddy b." (the fraud guy) is no longer the name on my screen.

I may as well post this here rather than start another thread. Every time I start the car, Carwings asks if I want to let it communicate - the choices are OK and Cancel. I always click OK, but is there a way to make this permanent so I don't have to tell it the same thing every time I start the car? Seems kind of redundant, slightly annoying, not so much the slight act of tapping OK as the fact it won't let me make OK the default and not ask me on every startup. I can't find it anywhere in the manuals.

wlegro said:
I may as well post this here rather than start another thread. Every time I start the car, Carwings asks if I want to let it communicate - the choices are OK and Cancel. I always click OK, but is there a way to make this permanent so I don't have to tell it the same thing every time I start the car? Seems kind of redundant, slightly annoying, not so much the slight act of tapping OK as the fact it won't let me make OK the default and not ask me on every startup. I can't find it anywhere in the manuals.

You have to hit it every time. It becomes habit, just part of turning the car on.

wlegro said:
It turns out that this car was registered with Nissan under somebody else's name. It was an "unwind" - the first owner had leased it but proved to be a fraud in that he didn't work where he said he did and didn't have the income he claimed. So the dealer took back the car before the state registration had gone through and sold it to me as new - I got a new-car contract, the car had about 700 miles on it.

O/T but I hope that was revealed to you BEFORE you signed your name on the contract. Otherwise, the dealership is just as guilty of fraud as the former owner of your Leaf.

RonDawg said:
wlegro said:
It turns out that this car was registered with Nissan under somebody else's name. It was an "unwind" - the first owner had leased it but proved to be a fraud in that he didn't work where he said he did and didn't have the income he claimed. So the dealer took back the car before the state registration had gone through and sold it to me as new - I got a new-car contract, the car had about 700 miles on it.

O/T but I hope that was revealed to you BEFORE you signed your name on the contract. Otherwise, the dealership is just as guilty of fraud as the former owner of your Leaf.

Yeah, the dealer told me on the phone before I even went to see it. That's why it was about $12,000 off the original price, plus it was Jan. 31 and they were under pressure to move all the 2012s. I checked the VIN, never registered with the state, so we get the state rebate and federal credit. Oddly (or maybe not so oddly), the guy who was giving us paper after paper to sign tried to give us a Used Car contract, but my sharp-eyed wife caught it. He had to tear it up and come back with a New Car contract. Without that, we couldn't get the tax benefits, which will ultimately bring the price (w/o sales tax) down to about $17,000. But we'll hold our breath until we actually get them.

wlegro said:
... Oddly (or maybe not so oddly), the guy who was giving us paper after paper to sign tried to give us a Used Car contract, but my sharp-eyed wife caught it. He had to tear it up and come back with a New Car contract. Without that, we couldn't get the tax benefits, which will ultimately bring the price (w/o sales tax) down to about $17,000. But we'll hold our breath until we actually get them.
Not so oddly. I expect that they were supposed to sell it as used, and committed a small fraud by selling it as a new car.

wlegro said:

Welcome to the club. This is a perennial complaint. Nissan is looking into it, but it's only been two years... :lol:

Look for the "LeafScan" thread -- a potential solution may be coming.

Back