car wont go into drive or reverse. Starts fine

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up having car towed to Nissan dealer and it was corrosion on the heater harness. Very expensive repair on top of battery I purchased thinking maybe that was the problem.
That is an odd one because usually if there is an issue, you just don't have any Heat or AC. Never heard of it preventing the Leaf from driving unless something is wildly wrong. They probably mean "in" the wiring harness, which less than physical damage to the cable on the outside must be referring to the plugs. Did they tell you what DTC code this was generating, would be helpful for the community in the future. 😲

I63ohcH.jpeg

That is an odd one because usually if there is an issue, you just don't have any Heat or AC. Never heard of it preventing the Leaf from driving unless something is wildly wrong. They probably mean "in" the wiring harness, which less than physical damage to the cable on the outside must be referring to the plugs. Did they tell you what DTC code this was generating, would be helpful for the community in the future. 😲

I63ohcH.jpeg
No, and the only thing my car did was it would not shift into D or R it would go to Neutral.. They called me yesterday with this diagnosis but have not heard from them as of today. Maybe that was not the problem and did not fix it. It is the Nissan dealership and they did not tell me the code reading. I had it towed to the dealership and came back to Florida as I winter here. When I went home for 4 days last week I discovered the problem as the car sat for 2 months.

No, and the only thing my car did was it would not shift into D or R it would go to Neutral.. They called me yesterday with this diagnosis but have not heard from them as of today. Maybe that was not the problem and did not fix it. It is the Nissan dealership and they did not tell me the code reading. I had it towed to the dealership and came back to Florida as I winter here. When I went home for 4 days last week I discovered the problem as the car sat for 2 months.
I will keep you posted when I learn more

Yes please.
I have a friend who does car repair out in Calif, He is past retirement age but stays on to handle the real difficult ones.
They have a term out there for some of the problems. "EL Raton" for pack-rat damage to vehicle wiring. It often is in the most inaccessible areas and can be that way for some time, until something throws a weird code and the components test good. It can be a very time consuming problem to diagnose and repair.
I have had the whole dashboard out of cars, stripped to the firewall to find harness problems.
I wonder if you have critter problems while you were away?

I would suggest an alternate diagnosis. There is a known issue with shifter assemblies that fail. They can fail in an often erratic, random-seeming way, so it's quite possible to think it's something else - say corrosion in the connections - have it stop after that issue is addressed, but then have it recur, and even progress.

Well, none of us are inside the dealerships service dept. You may be correct, but we have no evidence for it. We have no evidence for what the dealer says either.
Before jumping to conclusions, we need hard evidence.
I'm seeing a lot of people guessing at stuff with no strong evidence, codes, actions (like wiggling the shifter causes a problem to show itself). (Not just this thread, but on other threads as well.
I spent much of my working life fixing things, and one thing I learned was don't assume, even if it is a common failure point. Verify
Trouble codes are key, even if they are caused by something else. You can clear them and watch for them to appear again, and note the conditions when they do.
The shifter we know, went into Neutral (see first post), so it isn't so compromised that it doesn't do anything. That would be one thing pointing away from the shifter being the problem, not 100% conclusive, but doesn't work in favor of that being the problem.
Again without trouble codes we are fumbling in the dark. Without having the car in front of us, we can't run tests. All of us and especially the owner, must rely on the diagnostic skills of those that do have access to the car.
At this point, and all we know for sure, is it will not go into "ready" and will only go into neutral, points to an interlock code preventing it from happening. Again, a scan of codes would show if this is the case or not.
The dealership pointing to "corrosion on the harness" doesn't sound like much of a diagnoses either, Corrosion causing a HV leak to chassie at a connection, may be. Damage to the harness causing a HV leak to chassie would be another. Both would be consistent with an interlock code, and only being able to get Neutral. Critter damage could be a cause of the last one, and even critter pee could contribute to the 1st one.
I am not saying that either of these HAVE to be the cause, only that they would fit the symptoms thus far presented.

In post #3 he mentions the brake pedal feeling "weird". I'll have to do some digging in the service manuals, to see if a defective or unresponsive brake assist will lock it out also? That would be another direction to look in. Some things go to a "fail safe mode" when the pop up others will function until the car is turned off but will prevent re-start when present.
About all we know for sure, is it will come out of park but not go into any gear.
If there is an interlock code, there also should be a code for what caused the interlock.

Just to clarify: I didn't suggest the shifter as the culprit as an Armchair Diagnosis. I proposed it to hopefully make sure that it gets checked, before the OP spends a lot of money on a failure that we've never, in 10+ years here, seen. I do that a lot in cases like this, because we have seen too many people get taken to the cleaners because dealerships like to replace parts to diagnose problems, regardless of the cost of those parts.

< Long-timers, brace yourselves: I'm going to tell the story of the Volvo Transmission yet again.>

We had a Volvo 240DL a few decades ago, with a 3 speed plus externally activated Overdrive automatic transmission. The car stopped shifting into O/D. We brought it to a local Volvo dealership, who promptly suggested that we pay them $3000+ for a new trans unit. I researched the problem, and for $300 we instead had the OD activation solenoid replaced by a local independent shop. Problem solved. The dealership shrugged.

Lefty,
Far to many, be it at a dealership or on forums act as you say. The dealership pay structure rewards replacing parts and not diagnoses.
What I am trying to point out is the correct way to attack the problem based on what we "know" at present. The present symptoms, do not present in a way that makes the shifter look probable. So far it functioned by shifting the car out of park. That doesn't rule it completely out, but moves it down the probability list a fair way.
With no trouble codes to go on, I hesitate to point to one part or another. I will say the symptoms are CONSISTANT with an interlock code, but not what underlying problems are causing the interlock. There just isn't the info available to us to make any one part the cause. There are a few trouble codes that do cause in interlock, so that does narrow it down a bit. Truth told I haven't absorbed the service manual enough to say with any certainty what all those codes are that will trip an interlock.
Once the underlying code is known, if it is an interlock problem, that doesn't tell what is wrong, it tells you where to look.

If I had this in front of me, I would read the codes and record them, then clear the codes and see what happened. If the car went into drive and rev I would drive it around to see if I could reproduce the problem. If the code came back before I could drive it, that is a good indication it is a valid code and my attention would be on what that code is for.
If it takes some drive time, or say sitting overnight for the code to come back, these are things that are not paid for in the typical repair establishment, so they don't get done.
It is also possible that you could clear the code and it will not come back in any reasonable time frame to diagnose, and that can be very hard to sort out. I had one car that would set the same code once every 3 weeks to a month. That can be very hard to sort out, because you can't test with any accuracy and unless you had a scanner plugged in and someone watching it all the time, there is little to tell you what the cause of the trip was.
Some people have the mistaken idea that the dealership personnel know the car the best. While they are most likely to get the factory training, and have all the nice factory tools, an independent shop that specializes on EV's might have a better feel for an EV problem. There can be a real sharp dealership mechanic, but that is not a given. Many who are really good, move out on their own or to an Independent shop that can and does reward their ability better than the dealership pay structure can.
I've worked in all environments, and if pressed to say, I would say the independent shop, is willing to put more man-hours into to solving the problem, but also often lack the latest factory training and tools. A dealership is more likely to slap on a part and shove it out the door. Both can get lucky and both can fail.
Guessing often does not work, but I will admit, like the problem that only shows itself once a month or less often, that guessing as about all you have. I try not to guess, but follow the logic and eliminate things as being the problem through testing, until the root problem is found. To do that you must have some understanding on how thing act and interact, so the results of tests and symptoms can point you to the cause.
Early on I said I had an idea, but would not guess. That remains, I think the symptom is caused by an interlock, but without anything to go on to say what caused the interlock, it would be counter-productive to send someone chasing off in the wrong direction based on a guess. I could very well be wrong about the interlock, but so far that is what fits the symptoms best. Until we have codes and can confirm them as valid code, and not erroneous codes set by mistake, via clearing and seeing if they come back. Any guess to the root cause wouldn't be helpful.
In the last few weeks we have had at least 4 "no start-no move " complaints, that many have advised replacing the 12 volt battery to solve, this is one of those threads. Out of the 4, 3 have proved without a doubt the problem is elsewhere and the one that did appear to have a low battery, the battery passed 2 load tests after being charged and had enough "reserve capacity" for a 3 hr load test. SO anyway you look at it that is at least a 75% failure rate on the arm chair guess, and may be higher, the last may still have a charging issue, not a battery issue. In two the owners spent money on a battery they didn't need, and were right back where they started after spending that money.
By all means I want people to try and help, I am trying to help. I just want to stress proper diagnosing before recommending replacing parts that haven't proved (yet) to be the problem.
Having your car break down is not a pleasant experience, and can be a costly one even if only the offending item has to be replaced, it is much worse when you have to throw money on stuff that ends up not fixing the problem.
Peace!

I never suggest replacing parts that haven't been checked, so I seem to be facing a bit of a Straw Man here. I suggest that parts be checked. Also, a part like a shifter assembly that is failing gradually will often, as I said earlier, fail to operate properly just once, then will work properly again - for a while. So an approach that tests a suspect part's operation once, then rules it out based on that, may fail to find the culprit. When everything that can cause a problem is checked and nothing seems wrong, then it's time to look for something failing gradually.

As luck would have it (or not), I just got a 2018 Leaf where my relative was unable to start it this morning. I went over to check with LeafSpy and here are the codes. Look familiar? :unsure: Also, make note of the battery voltage with only a 24 watt load which is me with just the dash on, no accessories like fans lights, heaters, etc. I suspect the 12V battery, but I'm going to check first if it really has an isolation issue with the case. If I find no issues, then I'm going to suspect the 12V battery. I'll start another topic just for this so as not to clog up this one so much. ;)

I never suggest replacing parts that haven't been checked, so I seem to be facing a bit of a Straw Man here. I suggest that parts be checked. Also, a part like a shifter assembly that is failing gradually will often, as I said earlier, fail to operate properly just once, then will work properly again - for a while. So an approach that tests a suspect part's operation once, then rules it out based on that, may fail to find the culprit. When everything that can cause a problem is checked and nothing seems wrong, then it's time to look for something failing gradually.
TLDNR: grumping about terminology

I hate how “straw man” found its new and often incorrect definition in the popular lexicon. It was introduced by an obfusticated college sports personality using the definition of that sport, because it was useful to them at the time, but which was quite extreme, and not totally accurate. The result is it gets used in places like this. Straw man is not always a fallacy. Or rather analogies are not always “straw man”, as is effectively required in policy debate scoring.

Last edited:
Ok, then explain how the person should "Check the shifter" assembly. It does him no good if you don't explain how he is supposed to confirm it is the problem.
Yes, things can fail gradually, and Yes it can work one time and not the next but the point is that right now it works enough to shift to neutral and doesn't go to any other gear.
The service manual for shifter diagnoses is several pages and much requires a scanner to see what is going on. It isn't a few mirco-switches that can be "checked" with a test light. All we have is confirmation that moving the stick/control remove the car from park and placed it in neutral.
So if you have a way to "check the shifter" please post it.
Everything can't be the problem. Reverse lights aren't keeping it from going into gear. You have to start looking at what COULD fit the symptoms, and work from there, While the shifter may prevent it from going into gear, it is unlikely that it would work well enough to take it from park and not into F or R as they are two different selections and would have to fail simultaneously to cause what he has reported. I am not saying strike it from the list, but two desperate simultaneous failures are unlikely, esp when the same device did function to the point of placing the car in neutral.
I am not trying to rain on everybody elses parade, I am trying to keep focused on the best technique to diagnose the problem, and prevent unnecessary expense in money and time "checking everything"
No straw man here, If you are trying to help then provide concrete ways he can test things and rule them in or out. The best tool we have is the DTC's. I have provided ways if he has access to a reader, to go about finding the source. As I said, record, erase and look for them to come back. That will do more to direct the efforts than tell someone to check something but not how he is supposed to check it!

Ok, then explain how the person should "Check the shifter" assembly. It does him no good if you don't explain how he is supposed to confirm it is the problem.
Yes, things can fail gradually, and Yes it can work one time and not the next but the point is that right now it works enough to shift to neutral and doesn't go to any other gear.
The service manual for shifter diagnoses is several pages and much requires a scanner to see what is going on. It isn't a few mirco-switches that can be "checked" with a test light. All we have is confirmation that moving the stick/control remove the car from park and placed it in neutral.
So if you have a way to "check the shifter" please post it.
Everything can't be the problem. Reverse lights aren't keeping it from going into gear. You have to start looking at what COULD fit the symptoms, and work from there, While the shifter may prevent it from going into gear, it is unlikely that it would work well enough to take it from park and not into F or R as they are two different selections and would have to fail simultaneously to cause what he has reported. I am not saying strike it from the list, but two desperate simultaneous failures are unlikely, esp when the same device did function to the point of placing the car in neutral.
I am not trying to rain on everybody elses parade, I am trying to keep focused on the best technique to diagnose the problem, and prevent unnecessary expense in money and time "checking everything"
No straw man here, If you are trying to help then provide concrete ways he can test things and rule them in or out. The best tool we have is the DTC's. I have provided ways if he has access to a reader, to go about finding the source. As I said, record, erase and look for them to come back. That will do more to direct the efforts than tell someone to check something but not how he is supposed to check it!
I may be misunderstanding this but I get the impression the definition of “shifter” may be the disconnect here. Traditional cars had actual linkages that would wear. The leaf seems to have more of a hockey puck that I’ve always assumed is just a multi-function switch meant to imitate a traditional shifter. Even microswitches generally have a mechanical component and are therefore subject to wear too though. There are switches that don’t, such Hall effect switches. I don’t know what the leaf has for that. I might term the “shifter” more of a joystick, though I’ve never seen inside it and don’t know how it works.

Last edited:
You are correct, but I think most here would refer to the little thing that you move about as a "shifter".
Since the electric motor can run in both directions equally well, there is no "shifting" in the old sense of the word going on, only a call-out to the PDM on which direction and which "accl map" to use.
Because to toggle between D&B you use the same motion, and because the toggle returns to the "Park" position every time it is released, there is more going on that just hitting switches.
Like the switches on the steering wheel that use the same wire for multiple functions, but varies the resistance in the circuit, there is more to diagnosing them than just if they make contact or not.

Is it a heat pump or PTC heater?
Where are the connectors with the "corrosion"? Would it be Possible to get a picture of the damage.

It could be rodent piss damage corroding the contacts inside a connector, depending where it is located, especially since it was kept inside a garage.

What DTC would be associated with the heater connection. Hook up a scan tool and read that thang.

Last edited:
Is it a heat pump or PTC heater?
Where are the connectors with the "corrosion"? Would it be Possible to get a picture of the damage.

It could be rodent piss damage corroding the contacts inside a connector, depending where it is located, especially since it was kept inside a garage.

What DTC would be associated with the heater connection.
There are more than a few pages of DTC for the HVAC system and a whole section of the manual just on that system. Of those, the ones involving the HV to the compressor are most likely to cause an interlock. Most others could cause the HVAC system not to function or function correctly, but only those that involve the HV would likely lock the car from driving.

my car beeps when i step on brake pedal. Do you have the beep? if it doesn't think your foot is on the brake, it will not shift to D< E or R

Back