Cannot get a 2013 Leaf to charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you borrow someone else's EVSE ?
If you like you can borrow mine for a couple of weeks. I will require a security deposit to guarantee return and you pay 2 way shipping.

In the meantime, tell us about your electrical setup at home: cables, circuits, condition of outlet.

That's where I would start.
Barrow or buy a new evse.

Having 2 evse units allowed me to quickly fix the only minor charging get problem I have had with my car.

nlspace said:
What is the age and condition of the 12V aux battery--is it fresh and fully charged?

If so, then what shows up on the dash if you press the start button in accessory mode? Radio and center console come ON?

I don't mean to hi-jack this post but I have been searching w/o success for what you "nlspace" have mentioned here. I am a brand new owner of a 2014 and need to do all sorts of programming and such but can't figure out how to get the car into what you call "the accessory mode".
All I can tell is that when you get in the car and push the start button the car gets into the "ready" mode. How? Thank You

Amazing1 said:
nlspace said:
What is the age and condition of the 12V aux battery--is it fresh and fully charged?

If so, then what shows up on the dash if you press the start button in accessory mode? Radio and center console come ON?

I don't mean to hi-jack this post but I have been searching w/o success for what you "nlspace" have mentioned here. I am a brand new owner of a 2014 and need to do all sorts of programming and such but can't figure out how to get the car into what you call "the accessory mode".
All I can tell is that when you get in the car and push the start button the car gets into the "ready" mode. How? Thank You

Two things:

You incorrect quote nlspace. He didn't write all of the above.

Second, please make a new topic and ask this question, and we'll help you in that.

Amazing1 said:
nlspace said:

I fixed the quoting. If all you need is a brief answer, Accessory mode is activated by pressing the Power button either once or twice (someone else will help here) with your foot OFF of the brake. Since the car doesn't charge the accessory battery in that mode, it isn't recommended that it be used.

LeftieBiker said:
Accessory mode is activated by pressing the Power button either once or twice (someone else will help here) with your foot OFF of the brake. Since the car doesn't charge the accessory battery in that mode, it isn't recommended that it be used.
Pressing the Power button with your foot off the brake takes you through Off-Acc-On-Off-Acc-On-... etc. in that order, regardless of charging.
If the charging cable is not plugged in, pressing the Power button with your foot on the brake takes you to Ready if you're in Off, Acc or On, or to Off if you're in Ready.
If the charging cable is plugged in, pressing the Power button with your foot on the brake takes you to On if you're in Off or Acc, or to Off if you're in On.

I've never seen what happens if you're in Ready and plug in the charging cable.

TheLostPetrol said:
LeftieBiker said:
Accessory mode is activated by pressing the Power button either once or twice (someone else will help here) with your foot OFF of the brake. Since the car doesn't charge the accessory battery in that mode, it isn't recommended that it be used.
Pressing the Power button with your foot off the brake takes you through Off-Acc-On-Off-Acc-On-... etc. in that order, regardless of charging.
If the charging cable is not plugged in, pressing the Power button with your foot on the brake takes you to Ready if you're in Off, Acc or On, or to Off if you're in Ready.
If the charging cable is plugged in, pressing the Power button with your foot on the brake takes you to On if you're in Off or Acc, or to Off if you're in On.

I've never seen what happens if you're in Ready and plug in the charging cable.

Thanks. So with no foot on brake, pressing the Power button once takes you to accessory mode. Did we ever establish that the accessory battery is charged in ON (but not Ready) mode? It should be...

nlspace said:
i would guess that you might also have problems from salt fog and condensation causing corrosion, but let's hope that relays and contactors have been spared.

+1... whatever the initial problem was has surely gotten worse since the car has been sitting around unused & uncharged for 2 years. Battery degradation aside, relays & contactors need to be used regularly to stay operational. There is a wiping action on electrical contacts which helps to clean away oxidation and corrosion, which occur even under ideal conditions, much moreso in your high-humidity island environment. Sitting around can be a death sentence for devices with lots of exposed metal contacts.

Best of luck getting the car going, it may be a big project.

LeftieBiker said:
So with no foot on brake, pressing the Power button once takes you to accessory mode. Did we ever establish that the accessory battery is charged in ON (but not Ready) mode? It should be...
LeafSpy has shown 14+ volts and 10+ amps for the 12V battery (which I presume means the 12V is getting charged) when in On mode while I'm charging the traction battery with J1772. I haven't looked at the 12V voltage when in On but not charging the traction battery.

Back