Can I use a level2 charger (e.g 2019 leaf) to charge on a 120 outlet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those taking issue with "AFAIK there is nothing special about an EV vs other type of adapter for this that I know of" are right to do so.
why? other than platitudes like "don't do something that can cause injury" i have seen no valid criticism to the configuration.
I'm pleased that your gadget is working for you, and you haven't yet burned down your house or injured yourself.
why would i burn down my house?
But it doesn't mean people can grab something from their hardware store or amazon that has a grounded household plug on one end and a 14-50R on the other, and then succeed in charging their Leaf with it.
and i never said that they can do. it requires following all electrical common sense precautions and using the diagram i provided.
If it is not designated specifically for use with electric vehicle charging, it's likely set up in another configuration that is common for recreational vehicle use: G to G, X to X, and W to W with the Y conductor going nowhere.
and that is not how i wired it if you look at the diagram

Those devices provide no voltage between X and Y, which is where an EVSE wants it.
yet mine does,. if you look at the diagram. go figure

It is kind of like the charger for a laptop, says 100 v to 240v AC on the back, Input is via a three pin staggered plug and what cordset gets shipped depends on the local market. As long as the cordset is correct for the voltage, it is ok. I could replace my 120 volt cordset with a 240 one and plug it in and all would be legal.

How about some insulation on the socket???
of course it's insulated. i am not crazy. epoxy.
i will show the finished product later.

Those taking issue with "AFAIK there is nothing special about an EV vs other type of adapter for this that I know of" are right to do so. I'm pleased that your gadget is working for you, and you haven't yet burned down your house or injured yourself. But it doesn't mean people can grab something from their hardware store or amazon that has a grounded household plug on one end and a 14-50R on the other, and then succeed in charging their Leaf with it.

No. It means exactly that if they have the right EVSE (switch from 220 to 110) and do the wiring properly as I showed.

Your wiring diagram is correct, your construction is not!
The OEM design meets the following:
1)It connects line an neutral to line and line on the OEM 14-50 EVSE
2)It connects ground to ground on the same
3)it does this with solid brass of large enough size for the current drawn
4) it does the above in a package that is physically robust to prevent exposure to the power if the cord is pulled out and prevents any exposure to of the user to the power
5) and most important is is of a physical shape that only the EVSE 14-50 and no other device that has a 14-50 can plug into it.
Again because it works, doesn't make it right, or safe.
Yours FAILS on 4 and 5, and by the looks 3 also.
You could meet 3 and 4 but did not.
Mounting the 14-50R in a robust box grounding the box if metal, using SJOO 10 ga cable and strain relief on both ends would take care of 3 and 4 but still leaves 5 unaddressed.
You are smart enough to figure out electrical path, but completely ignorant of all the safety engineering that went into the original OEM adapter.
I could use car jumper cables to power my 240 well pump from the main distribution box, and it would work, but it wouldn't be safe, and that is the same thing you are doing.

Back