Can 440v Quick Charger be installed later?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnqh said:
If I get a Leaf without this option now, can it be installed later, by Nissan or some third party?

The port can't be installed later, if you want it you need to get the charger package which is worth the money as you get a faster onboard charger as well. The 440 portion is a port for an outboard DC charger not a faster charger like the former you would also get.

Helo,
I wonder if he has a Leaf in 2013 already serial installed quick charger? Does anyone know how much it will cost surcharge for quick charger?
thank you

elektromobil said:
Helo,
I wonder if he has a Leaf in 2013 already serial installed quick charger? Does anyone know how much it will cost surcharge for quick charger?
thank you

Your answer is above.

smkettner said:
johnqh said:
If I get a Leaf without this option now, can it be installed later, by Nissan or some third party?
No

And if you get the 6kW charger option you may never need or want the 480.

The Charger Package for S includes the 6kw charger and Quick Charge port.

For now, I won't even need L2. L1 will be fine.

However, I am buying to keep. For 5 to 8 years from now, I think the Quick Charge will make a big difference.

My question is, how much technology is in that Quick Charge? Will it be possible to install it 3 to 5 years from now by some third party vendor for a couple of hundred dollars? The cost of technology decreases quite rapidly.

johnqh said:
Will it be possible to install it 3 to 5 years from now by some third party vendor for a couple of hundred dollars?
No. $200 wouldn't be nearly enough for the labor, let alone the parts even at a discount.

johnqh said:
My question is, how much technology is in that Quick Charge? Will it be possible to install it 3 to 5 years from now by some third party vendor for a couple of hundred dollars? The cost of technology decreases quite rapidly.
No, you are off by a factor of at least 10 to 20.
The Charge Package is only $1300.
The couple people that have upgraded a 2011 LEAF by adding a Brusa charger spent that much or more just to do that.
I don't think anyone yet has retrofitted a DCFC port, but would likely be $2000+.
The Charge Package at $1300 is a bargain for getting a 6 kW on board charger and also getting DCFC port.
Forget about retrofits. They will never be cost effective compared to Nissan OEM price when the vehicle is buiilt.

$1300 is still a decent amount of money. If you live in an area with no QCs it does seem like wasted money. But if they are everywhere in 5 years and your battery has taken a hit, then it may become more valuable.

I made the decision on a SV to not get the QC since I don't have any in my state. If I am wrong about my future needs, it would seem that it would be worth $2000 to get a QC installed but lets face it, there isn't that much involved in a QC. It shouldn't cost that much. The OEM price is probably $500 but it always gets packaged with something else so we don't really know.

It it wasn't packaged with the LED lights, I probably would have gotten it. I think the upcharge was like $1500 for a SV.

I find it amusing how this thread goes on and on with the same question asked again. If you don't get the L3 port option on your LEAF don't expect to add it to the car unless you want to spend about $3-4K to do it. You can't add the price of the parts or the package as an estimate and it is NOT the same as adding a Brusa wich is also a big undertaking even though some people seem to think it will be easy to do properly. The operative word is properly. This and the addition of a charger to the rear of the car has been hashed out over and over. Those that want or need an L3 port (which most will never use) will get the package. If you are debating this then you have a model S and don't want to pay for the $1300 charger package that will provide a faster onboard charger and likely solve the issue regardless. If $1300 is too much to add to the cost of the car for both these features then you are certainly not going to try to add it later because it is not going to happen at twice that cost.

On a second note there are some folks here that spread all sorts of misinformation about charging making EV newbies think they need fast charging at home when the vast majority will never use it. The L3 port is a pipe dream for most people to use in the US as few have them available. Having the faster onboard charger is really an advantage when traveling far away and when you have limited time to charge at your destination. There are exceptions but the fear mongering on this is silly.

Back