Can’t pass this gas station …

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camasleaf

http://www.kgw.com/lifestyle/green/Beaverton-opens-first-in-the-naton-eco-friendly-gas-station-130394398.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:
"On the rooftop are 75 solar panels that generate enough energy to power the entire service station, and more.

Some of the excess power generated is sent back to the utility company, and some of it goes into an electric vehicle charging station.

That's right. The gas station offers E-V drivers a free charge."

I stopped by and did a little charging there on Wednesday. Very friendly staff and should serve as a great model for other gas stations. The staff told me that EV owners are more than welcome to charge there when going to other nearby businesses too, like the Safeway next door for grocery shopping.

BTW, I thought it was particularly interesting that they offer B10 diesel. Oregon only requires B5 diesel and Chevron doesn't offer B10, so the station specifically sourced an alternative fuel distributor for their diesel.

IMG_20110921_183103.jpg

IMG_20110921_183125.jpg

IMG_20110921_183859.jpg

Solar Charging and Bio Diesel blend at a gas station?!? :shock: Wow... I have no comment but, Wow.

Nice! It actually oddly makes a lot of sense, if you want to spend some time there. Gas up your Plug In Hybrid (Toyota Plug In Prius, Chevy Volt, Ford C-Max Energi, etc...) and then move it to the EV charger to fill up the battery!

I'd actually think about gas and electricity at the same time, but that raises at least the perception, if not reality of a few safety issues (J1772 is not rated for explosion proof environments to my knowledge) and you need a couple minutes to gas up, while charging would take a bit longer and you need to free up the gas pump for the next person.

ElectricVehicle said:
(J1772 is not rated for explosion proof environments to my knowledge)

Did you mean "explosion prone environments"??? Anyways, don't tell that to GM and Toyota.

TRONZ said:
ElectricVehicle said:
(J1772 is not rated for explosion proof environments to my knowledge)
Did you mean "explosion prone environments"??? Anyways, don't tell that to GM and Toyota.
Ooops! I guess I did. I wonder if it has the U.L. "Idiot Proof" listing! ;)

GPowers said:
The station owner is a very progressive thinker.
A businessman too! If you buy a drink or buy some food, the two dimes of electricity are paid for... Not the cost of the realestate, but maybe it works out.

JimSouCal said:
... Not the cost of the real estate, but maybe it works out.
Since I don't see any EV only signs, the gas station doesn't lose use of the spaces if they are needed, so it's probably not an issue.

JimSouCal said:
A businessman too! If you buy a drink or buy some food, the two dimes of electricity are paid for... Not the cost of the realestate, but maybe it works out.
Yep. That's probably part of the motive. I've always heard that gas stations make a tiny amount of money per gallon of gasoline and take in much better margins on other stuff they sell.

I'd hope that station allows you to plug in your own car since self-serve gas is illegal in OR.

cwerdna said:
I'd hope that station allows you to plug in your own car since self-serve gas is illegal in OR.
Well, they say you learn something new every day. I had no idea about this. I thought you were crazy until I just looked it up. New Jersey even has the same stupid law. I've never even seen a full service gas station except in Back to the Future.

adric22 said:
cwerdna said:
Well, they say you learn something new every day. I had no idea about this. I thought you were crazy until I just looked it up. New Jersey even has the same stupid law. I've never even seen a full service gas station except in Back to the Future.
Yep about NJ.

Regarding Oregon, I learned of this the first time I passed thru OR in 95. I got out of the car to start fueling up and the gas station attendant said something like this: "no no no. Self-serve gas is illegal in Oregon. Welcome to Oregon. We like to employ our people..."

In CA, I almost never seen full-serve gas stations or haven't seen any in ages. They were more common maybe 15-25 years ago.

cwerdna said:
Yes, we do get to plug in our own cars. :D BTW, only gasoline is required to be dispensed by a trained employee. Any other fuel can be self-serve. This station happens to do full-serve diesel but a lot of gas stations in Oregon specifically state self-serve diesel.

marccbr said:
If I lived in the area I would go out of my way to shop at this place. I would definetly support a business like this one so that other buisnesses see that that is the way to go.

+1.

This is great. I'd support him too.

Back