California ARB & $1500 Rebate 36 Month Hold Rule

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

califm5

Hi folks!

Just a question for those in California.

I recently traded in my 2011 Leaf on a 2013 Volt. A change in commute length and subsequent range issues became a problem.

When we applied for the California $1500 rebate for the Volt it specified the need to hold/own the vehicle for 36 months. It dawned on my that I only held the Leaf we traded for 22 months and had gotten a $2500 rebate back in 2011.

So...what happens? Do I owe CARB 14 months of prorated rebate back? Am I going to CARB Jail? :shock:

Suddenly I have this sinking feeling...(sort of like the Giants season)

Thanks for the input!

If you read the fine print, it will tell you that you will owe a pro rated portion of the money that they gave you. There are some exceptions, like if the car is destroyed or such. But yes. Not sure how they go about doing this. I had the same question as I was considering trading in my 2011 Leaf for either another leaf or as you did a Volt. If you go to their web site you will see the information in the FAQ section. I wonder if anyone else has done what you have done and perhaps can share their experience. In my case I received $5000. So I had a bit more to lose.
Manny

Back