Cable care

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbieandpatrick

Have been thinking for a while about this post. Learning text interpreting, we were drilled to take care of computer equipment. If your cords/cables failed, you didn’t work. Likely that’s behind a pet peeve about charging station cords and the crazy contortions you find them in. Cords are often stretched across the ground where they can be run over, stomped on, or trip people. Sometimes, the connector is hanging in the rain or lying on the ground. Realize I may be preaching to the choir because these are in public places and others besides EV drivers mess with them. Just a good idea to take a minute to recoil the cord and plug the connector back in so it's protected. TLC may also help keep future charging costs down. No offense intended, just good cables = hopefully working stations.

When I leave a charging station I alway wrap the cables correctly and insert to connector deep into the socket holder where it belongs, I do it for all of them if not in use. I do hope others see this and do the same. This will increase the life of those connectors.

Fred

Good point.

There is more to caring for a cord other than being gentle. Please refer to this excellent tip for caring for your Leaf trickle charge cord (portable EVSE):
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In short summary, they suggest that you avoid getting the cord twisted, putting uneven stress on the wires, and show you a simple way to wrap the cord that doesn't twist the cord.

With the really fat wire of an EVSE, the best approach may be slightly different. Instead of blindly wrapping over/under/over/under/over... as the video suggests, I try to get a sense of whether the cord wants to naturally wrap over or under and follow the natural feel of the wire.

Bob

debbieandpatrick said:
Realize I may be preaching to the choir because these are in public places and others besides EV drivers mess with them.

Actually, you're not. I've seen some rather lazy behavior on the part of some EV/PHEV drivers. And yes I too don't like to see cables and especially charging handles laying on the ground.

On a related note, what is it with (many) women and cords? They *twist* them! Phone cords especially, but I swear my housemate is waltzing with ours when she uses it on her PIP...

Haha, yeah, I untwist my EVSE cable all the time since my wife uses it mostly. It's one of those things where if you aren't paying attention, it will happen. Unplug and move to the car is half a turn. Unplug and back to the holder is another in the same direction. It only takes a couple cycles to get pretty horribly twisted.

Back