Ca. Assy OKs bill allowing EVs to avoid some tolls

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFish

Been watching this one for a while and thought it was really good before being amended, and it still is pretty good news..... for everyone except for the 10 and 110 commuters.

Under a bill passed by the California Assembly, solo drivers of certain low- and zero-emission cars would have free access to carpool lanes converted to toll lanes, with some exceptions.

Good overall except my commute is on the 10 freeway :(

But in Southern California, there will be two exceptions, at least for a year. Under an agreement worked out between the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the author of the legislation, the carpool lanes on the 10 and 110 freeways that are being converted to toll lanes would be allowed to charge all vehicles for a year.

The above from this link: http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-carpool-lanes-solo-20120427,0,4342710.story

Looks like the 10 and 110 were removed from the "free" list on the bills third reading.
http://totalcapitol.com/?bill_id=201120120AB2405

ILEV's like the Leaf are already ok. AT PZEV's like the Volt and Plug-in Prius were not. This bill adds those cars into the mix. Not a big deal.

Leafs do not have free access to the new 110 and 10 toll lanes. They are treated no different than ICEs...

jaanton said:
ILEV's like the Leaf are already ok. AT PZEV's like the Volt and Plug-in Prius were not. This bill adds those cars into the mix. Not a big deal.

TomT is right.
and if you talk to a METRO flak, he/she will tell you that the toll lanes are about reducing congestion NOT pollution, so there are no ZEV privileges,
and too also that EVs dont pay any road taxes cause they dont buy gas.
not sure that is true.

Gov. Brown signed AB 2405 allowing hybrids and zero emissions vehicles into high occupancy toll lanes without a fee. See LA Times B2 today.

Kataphn said:
Gov. Brown signed AB 2405 allowing hybrids and zero emissions vehicles into high occupancy toll lanes without a fee. See LA Times B2 today.

Overall a good thing, however, unfortunately it still contains the exception for the 110 and 10 HOT lanes thru 3/1/14 :(

I use the Interstate 10 lanes 4 days a week and was a deciding factor in my purchase of the leaf. I feel like I am a victim of a bait and switch, but not much to do but wait.

Note that it is Plug-In Hybrids, NOT hybrids in general. And the 110 and 10 are still exempt from the law for at least one year.

Kataphn said:

Back