Buy an orphan or wait for my order?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phastphill

Hey folks,

I spent some time searching around and couldn't find any discussion of experiences buying an orphaned leaf.

I ordered a 2011 leaf in May and it's due to come in October. Around the time I ordered I spammed Bay Area dealerships asking about orphans. Last week I got a call from Dirito Bros. in Walnut Creek: they have an orphan available that matches my specs. The quote is basically the same as I got on the order (from San Leandro Nissan).

So my question is this: is there any advantage to wait for my order to be fulfilled? Do I miss out on anything by going with an Orphan?

I'm also hesitant to go over to Dirito after reading a recent review. Anybody have experiences, positive or negative, with San Leandro Nissan? The sales rep I spoke with seemed very knowledgable.

thanks!

Phill

As long as the spec are the same there would be no advantage or disadvantage either way.
If you are worried about the dealer, you might consider waiting. Good luck.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, as my grandmother used to say. They're both 2011 models (cheaper), the orphan is here now, and the price is relatively the same. I'd go for it...

Worst case scenario...Let's say something happens to your October order, and it doesn't come until January 5. If you're buying, you wouldn't be able to get your Federal tax credit back until the next year when you file. If you go for the orphan, you're set for filing in just a few months to get the credit back.

I vote for jumping on it...Get on the rebate waiting list, and have fun driving that new Leaf!!!

In your case, the one advantage I can think of in waiting for your order is if you want to establish a relationship with the dealer that you ordered from. One reason I chose the dealer I did is that it is (and was) my intention to charge the LEAF there a couple times per month or so, at least until there's more public charging infrastructure available. While I could have saved a little more money buying elsewhere, I wanted to patronize the dealer whose free services I would be using most often.

This doesn't seem like a big deal one way or the other, since we are already into the month of October, your anticipated delivery month. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd make the choice based on which dealer I'd prefer to do business with.

phastphill said:
Hey folks,
I ordered a 2011 leaf in May and it's due to come in October. Around the time I ordered I spammed Bay Area dealerships asking about orphans. Last week I got a call from Dirito Bros. in Walnut Creek: they have an orphan available that matches my specs. The quote is basically the same as I got on the order (from San Leandro Nissan). Phill
I took an orphan at a nearby dealer for the same price as the one I ordered in May. I see no disadvantages and had little reservations because I tried to get orphans with my original dealer and he would not give me the same deal on an orphaned LEAF compared to my ordered: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have to qualify for Ecotality and get a free QC option on your order, then it may be better to wait for the order, because you'd have to pay $700 for the QC option on your orphan first before getting reimbursed from Nissan for it (with delay and maybe some risk of not getting the check as well). But you won't get reimbursed for the tax you'd be paying on the $700.

Thanks for all the replies folks! I did qualify the the free QC, so thanks for that point Volusiano. I just re-checked my account on nissan's website and they now estimate delivery for the week of Oct. 18, so I think I'd rather wait and save the hassle of the $700 rebate.

phastphill said:
Thanks for all the replies folks! I did qualify the the free QC, so thanks for that point Volusiano. I just re-checked my account on nissan's website and they now estimate delivery for the week of Oct. 18, so I think I'd rather wait and save the hassle of the $700 rebate.
October 18 is not too far away, and the car may even come a little earlier because they pad in a little bit of time in case there's delay. I'd wait for the order, too.

I don't know what the sales tax rate is in your area, but whatever it is out of $700 it's not going to be chump change. Even if Nissan refunds you the $700, they won't refund you the tax you pay on that $700. With the order, you won't even have to pay the $700 in the first place. Keep it simple, no need to apply for a refund and hope to get it if you buy an orphan.

Volusiano said:
I don't know what the sales tax rate is in your area, but whatever it is out of $700 it's not going to be chump change. Even if Nissan refunds you the $700, they won't refund you the tax you pay on that $700. With the order, you won't even have to pay the $700 in the first place. Keep it simple, no need to apply for a refund and hope to get it if you buy an orphan.
I am also in the EV project (Ecotality) and took an orphan SL-e so I did not have to deal with any refund. The deal was the same as the one I ordered with a no charge QC port.

eHelmholtz said:
I am also in the EV project (Ecotality) and took an orphan SL-e so I did not have to deal with any refund. The deal was the same as the one I ordered with a no charge QC port.
Good point. I guess it depends on whether the orphan comes as an SL-e or as an SL with a $700 QC option. If the earlier then you don't have to deal with a refund if you're in the EV project. But if the later, then you'll have to deal with a refund. It's probably best to ask your dealer which one it is.

This thread has more info about it, and it looks like several people had had to deal with the refund for their orphans.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I waited it out and picked up my Leaf at San Leandro Nissan yesterday, hooray!

Back