bridgestone ecopias - replace 2 a 9,000 miles? any warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braineo

Has anyone gotten any free tires under warranty?

Just rotated my tires at 9,000 miles and 8 months and the Tires plus store showed me I had only 3/32 thread left on the front tires, the rear ones were fine. They told me to contact Nissan. Nissan passed me to Bridgestone Technical service which were not open today but also told me there is a 12,000 mile 12 month alignment warranty which I scheduled for next Tuesday.

I also went to Bridgestone web site and called customer service. They directed me to technical support. Talked to a very knowledgeable individual from Nashville. Bridgestone is monitoring closely the Leaf tires since they should last 25-35k miles. They also recommend to rotate every 5,000 miles since there is so much torque in the front.

I asked if there any better tires and he recommended the turanza serenity, which I will consider if they give me a tire credit.

I'll have to wait until my alignment check to start the fight for free replacement tires. The dealer service guy told me he just had a client replace all his tires at 15k miles. I can see that happening now that my tires have been rotated.

that is ridiculous!

Anybody has had luck getting new tires under warranty?

You might have a chance if they delivered your car with out-of-spec alignment, but I have yet to hear of anyone getting OEM tires replaced on warranty.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
TT

Post a pic of your tire wear - it's well known that the Ecopias wear pretty quickly on the outside shoulders on the front.

Running higher tire pressures than stock helps alleviate the issue. Will be interesting to see what your alignment ends up being, though.

I just took my LEAF into the local Tallahassee dealer (Kraft) and the service advisor told me the tire manufacturer has a routine alignment recommendation for the LEAF every 12,000 miles because the LEAF has an aluminum frame. I have never heard of a routine alignment recommendation - I always thought you check the alignment if you see unusual wear, put the vehicle on the alignment computer, check the numbers, and do the alignment if it needs it. This sounds bogus, what do you all think? Should I shell out the $80 for a wheel alignment routinely every 12,000 miles?

My TIRES PLUS store offer lifetime alignment for $169, I'm just waiting for my $20% off coupon to do it.

The Leaf has a 12,000 or 12 month alignment warranty that should be in the warranty book (page 12 I was told). I'm taking my Leaf to take advantage of that warrnty next Tuesday and I'll post the results.

fsu77gt said:
I just took my LEAF into the local Tallahassee dealer (Kraft) and the service advisor told me the tire manufacturer has a routine alignment recommendation for the LEAF every 12,000 miles because the LEAF has an aluminum frame.

METER.gif

Update;

Took the car this past Tuesday for alignment check under warranty at dealer. It was perfect!

And confirmed there was no charge - thus the 12,000 mile 1 year warranty is good for the alignment check!

Called Bridgestone - using the phone number from their website and got a response. They would cover 50% (their max warranty claim) for all 4 tires.

Now - I can get the tires I want for $461.96 + tax (due ot the bridgestone $70 off coupon) at Costco - but Bridgestone has a different warranty deal with Costco and my discount doesn't apply there!!!

My local retail dealer for Bridgestone wanted $492 + tax for the same tires with 50% off - but if I order the same tires form the web site and have them apply the 50% it should be about $375+tax

Guess I will drive up to 11,900 miles on my current tires (at 250/300 miles per week - it will be about 2 1/2 months) and it still be below 12 months to claim the warranty.

Meanwhile I had a call to the Nissan dealer who checked the alignment to see if between Nissan and Bridgestone they cover 100%. Not holding my breath for this one but worth a try.

Will keep forum posted on results.

Update 8/5/2013 Dealer contacted Nissan and was told NO!
Posted and called Nissan Leaf line. Will find out on Wednesday if Nissan will assist with a car payment which is almost the remaining 50%

Took aan extra week to say NO!

No more NISSAN for me!

braineo said:
Update;

Took the car this past Tuesday for alignment check under warranty at dealer. It was perfect!

Just took my 2011 for it's FIRST alignment check (@NTB) and it also graded out perfect (saw the display myself)! Impressive considering Nissan's tolerances are a bit tighter than some other cars.

Edit: I put Michelin Defenders on a couple of months ago.

1) Aluminum frame :lol: :lol:
2) Dealers that can properly do or check an alignment :lol: :lol:

Last time a dealer said they checked mine I asked how and they said they drove it :lol: Even with proper equipment I would never have a dealer touch my alignment, particularly on an EV.

caffeinekid said:
Does anyone here with over 12K miles on the odometer and still using the ecopias NOT have wear on the outer shoulders? :?:

Me. 32,000 miles and even wear between and across all 4 tires. Probably another 8-10k in mine before they'll be done.

Secrets to success: Over-inflating to 40psi and regular rotations (though at ~8000 miles)

As most people expected NISSAN will NOT do anything with the tires even if they are GONE in 9,000 miles.

BRIDGESTONE maxes out at 50% warranty.

I just tried my last ammunition: the Nissan Leaf Facebook page.

i got some credit under warranty at 17k at american tire when i replaced the ecopias. that was for only two of the four tires on the car.
i was in the store because one tire had a flat and, while on the lift, i saw that a second had a bubble.

that was what led me to get four new michelins. yes, they impact the range, with a decrease of about 10%.

Stanton said:
ttweed said:
Ran mine at 40 PSi and they were done at 26000 miles.
I didn't even make it that far: had to replace before my 2 year (first) state inspection @20k miles
Lots of tread left on mine at 22k except for the shoulders at 40-44psi, but if you look at the tread carefully you'll see that the shoulders simply don't have very deep siping compared to the center of the tread so extra wear on the shoulders looks worse than it really is. Recommend running at least a few PSI higher than stock and frequent rotations which seems to keep the wear pretty even.

I replaced mine at about 10,000 miles due to some chunking. I could have had them warranted perhaps but I made the decision to go with the Michelins instead simply because there was nothing other than efficiency that I liked about the Ecopias, and also wanted a more robust tire due to there being no spare (the OEM Ecopias are known to be fairly fragile)...

I had the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's installed yesterday.

I love them!

My Leaf is almost silent - only hear the faint motor whine.

Back