brand new leaf measured ELM327 AH

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguenst

I just got a new leaf one week ago. Noted after hypermiling the miles did not seem correct. When I hooked up my car to the ELM327 it read 61 AH.
I went to dealer today and one leaf with 200 miles on like mine showed 67 (100%) another brand new, the same. 2 others with less than 10 miles on the cars were less than 60 AH. Is this acceptable?

Welcome to the Forum (and the LEAF) !

What is your car's manufacturing date ? (See black label on pillar after opening driver's door.)
Do you know anything about how long it was sitting on the dealer's lot ? (Possibly charged to 100% in heat?)

What do the individual cell pairs look like on the ELM ? How many are red (if any) ?

Charge it to 100% (during cool part of day/night or parked in shade) and let it sit plugged in for about 4 hours. The battery may be out-of-balance. Take another data point (record the mV spread as well as the temperature sensor data). (See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for an example)

Where are you located ? (consider updating your Profile in "User Control Panel" with a location)

jguenst said:
I just got a new leaf one week ago. Noted after hypermiling the miles did not seem correct. When I hooked up my care ELM327 61 AH.
I went to dealer today and one leaf with 200 miles on like mine showed 67 (100%) another brand new the same. 2 others with less than 10 miles on the cars were less than 60 AH. Is this acceptable?

That low AH sounds about like mine. You must be in AZ or TX?

LEAFer

thanks!

I am in Nashville, TN weather has been great. 90 and below. Car just got to the lot a couple days prior to buying it. They told me the just charged to 100%. It was sunny and hot that day. Car was made this month 06/13. voltages all look ok. Some cells balancing occasionally. mV max diff 11

I will try to post data. I may have data from the other cars as well. just trying to figure out to import the TXT file into an excel spreed sheet

My 2013 SL was delivered about the same date as yours, though mine may have been on a dealer's lot for several weeks.

Mine read 60.89 AH at the dealer, but after several charges and driving about 300 miles, the most recent AH reading was 63.71. My cell voltage display on the LEAF Battery App has often shown a lot of balancing activity, ie a lot of red on the display . My hope is that the pack and the BMS will continue to get into better sync over the next couple of weeks.

By the way, Gid readings at full charge have been going steadily upward, from about 263 to 273 in a week's time.

Hopefully your pack will show good improvement by following the recommendations posted here.

The best of luck to you.

Please keep us posted.

My 3 week old car report 63.39AHr. 1200 miles. Is that within normal tolerances or could the initial reduction be due to sitting on the dealer lot? I haven't noticed it changing much since I've been able to monitor it. Sometimes up a little, sometimes down.

jguenst said:
Boomer23

Do owners charge to 100% to help increase the AHr's ?

Charging to 100% without setting an end of charge timer and leaving the car plugged in for a few hours is considered a good way to allow the battery pack to balance. One of our gurus, Ingeneer, said that doing this on at least two successive days would give a more reliable reading of maximum Gid capacity than just doing it once.

So I've done this several times to try to allow my new pack to balance and to try to get a reliable AH reading.

But unless you need to charge to 100% there is no reason to routinely do it after you've done it a few times.

jguenst said:
Not sure why my car which on the lot less than 48 hours could be that low. Another new car was near exactly 100%
We do know that it takes some time for the LBC (Lithium Battery Controller) to "learn" a new pack. Those other cars might just might be better balanced through luck of the draw. It's also possible that some battery packs go through a different test sequence, or have modules replaced during QA, that make them this way. I suspect Nissan would simply dismiss any complaint about it as "normal variation".

What I noticed as well is after quick charge the capacity number jumps up few percentage points.
So, the difference might be in the charging history.

Back