Brakes problem!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Leaf driver, and I browse this forum quite a bit. Great information here!!!
2013 Pearl White Nissan Leaf SL, 1100 miles. I got my leaf in November, and I have loved it up to this point.

I think my problem may be related to this topic, so I figured I'd chime in and see if anyone else has recently been experiencing this issue as well.

A small amount of background. Over the past week or so it's been incredibly cold here (Maine) and snowing quite a bit.

I got up in the morning on one of these cold days and headed to the gym. Car went fine, no problems with anything. The problem started when I got out to leave...

Got in the car and stepped on the brake, pressed the start button and the dash lit up like normal but some of the warning lights did not go away.
Brake light (regenerative and cooperative brakes not working)
Brake warning light
Master warning light (yellow and red)
Ok to drive light.
Abs light

Also I heard a clacking sound from under the hood. It sounded as if the brakes were going through some type of "check" and couldn't complete.

I figured it would go away if I maybe started driving a bit. Well to my surprise it did not, and I figured my next step was to stop and restart the car. The car did not stop!!!!!!!
The brake went right to the floor and nothing happened, and I almost went out into incoming traffic. Luckily I was able to stamp on the ebrake.

I was able to turn back into the parking lot and use the ebrake to control the car. Tried restarting it again, and stepped on the brake a few times to see if anything would happen.
The brakes made some type of loud grinding sound, not sure how else to describe it.

The car was towed to the dealership I bought it at, and they won't be able to look at it until Monday. Any more insight on this matter will help when I go back to the dealership to talk to them about this.

Once the issue's been resolved, in the absence of user error (doesn't sound like it, so far) I'd file a safety complaint at http://safercar.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Wild guess: There was a flaw in the brake reservoir tank, and leaving the warmed up car out in the "incredible cold" caused it to crack. (Variation: a hydraulic hose froze and cracked.) But, as cwerdna suggests, the car should not have allowed you to shift into gear.

Ray

Thanks for the replies. As someone mentioned in this thread earlier, is it possible that the 12 v battery is having issues?? If that controls the brakes in any way it could be possible.

The solar panel has been covered with snow for a long time (user error). I'm not sure if any other system in the car charges that normally. On top of the sub zero temps...

planet4ever said:
Wild guess: There was a flaw in the brake reservoir tank, and leaving the warmed up car out in the "incredible cold" caused it to crack. (Variation: a hydraulic hose froze and cracked.) But, as cwerdna suggests, the car should not have allowed you to shift into gear.

What other cars do not let the car go into drive when the ABS system throws codes?

General advice. When a car throws ABS error lights it's generally a good idea to assume that your brakes may not work all.

Unless there was a leak in the system you should have been able to still stop but it could require a great deal of force on the pedal.

Back