BMW Owner sitting on the fence.....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i switched to mxv4s a few weeks ago, and it knocked the range down quite a bit at 36 psi.
I added PSI to 42 to restore some, but it doesnt get 8 bars for 50 miles any longer; More like 9 bars.
I am OK with that on my commute, but worry what impact it will have when i make the 65 mile rdtrp to the theater where my wife works.

After 1000 miles on the MXM4's (215-45-17), at 50 psi (rated for 51 psi), and rolling down the uber secret rolling hill test site, it shows no difference (both stock tires and the new ones rolled from 0-81mph).

On several long, near 100 mile drives, there is only a small difference in range; so small, it's difficult to quantify. But, until the tires had about 1000 miles on them, there was a measurable difference.

OP, since you're in San Jose, make sure to come to the BayLeafs meeting Saturday in Copertino. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3415&hilit=bayleaf&start=680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more information.

Axel said:
As an ex-bmw driver I can assure you that the Leaf drives and handles just as well as a bmw up to about 80mph. In fact it handles much better at take off than a bmw ever will and the low center of gravity from the batteries makes for an awesome and stable driving feeling on curvy mountain roads.

Above 80mph the handling goes downhill but I usually only need those sorts of speeds when I visit Germany. I dont think the Leaf would make a good Autobahn car.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it handles as well as my 2006 530i, it has considerable more body roll. Its not as connected to the road as the BMW, but definitely much more so than a Prius. On the plus side, its definitely more comfortable on the freeway, absorbs bumps very well.
I've now put about 200 miles on the Leaf, and definitely enjoying the experience so far. I'm surprised at how zippy this thing is around town, definitely don't want anyone to think I'm going slow because of an EV.

I don't like the ECO mode much, so been having fun with it in normal D mode.

OP - did you make a decision yet?

I have driven a number of BMWs over the years. My current "other" car is a 750Li. There is no way the Leaf will ever replace my bimmer but I have to say I absolutely love driving the Leaf. My commute is about 64 miles r/t and I still have range anxiety because it's a lot of freeway driving in CA but there is nothing better than being able to recharge the car at home, in the garage. I despise getting gas and in a car that gets 13.5 mpg, I used to fill up at least once per week. So, the bimmer now sits in the drive about 6 days per week while I drive the Leaf. My 4 year old daughter loves "her" car (the Leaf) and is often bummed if I show up to her school in the 750. The driving experiences are no where near the same but the Leaf is just as fun, if not more fun to drive. I can not imagine the Leaf being my only car as it's just not practical for me but I'm glad it's in the stable. :)

Back