Blink EVSE Beta Program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverLeaf

Yesterday, Friday, December 16 my EVSE was updated with the first BETA release

Version 1.0.20111117

Last night's charge worked fine, notifications working fine too

Anyone else participating in the BETA program?

SilverLeaf said:

Version 1.0.20111117

Everyone is on the Blink "Beta" program for at least a few more years :lol: This really makes me laugh, these units should never have needed a single firmware update from day one. Blink still needs updates to get a very basic appliance to work properly. It is dysfunctional and overly complicated and adds no real reporting value to customers. The unit could have achieved their goals in a much simpler way and been more reliable then it is but they have dreams of making it into a advertising billboard with cobbled together technology. Without huge wasted govt money they would have already folded. I have never seen so much effort by a company and customer put into making something so simple work. Perhaps the next model will have an even bigger useless display to show off their poor programming and design. For those using it wireless it has issues with special characters for passwords like "*" so if you use al alpha or numeric passwords you leave your network security very poor. Rather than fix this issue they just ask you to use an access point, more dumbness.

EVDRIVER said:
Blink still needs updates to get a very basic appliance to work properly. It is dysfunctional and overly complicated and adds no real reporting value to customers.
I have never had a single problem with my Blink unit or any failure to charge my car in 7 months and 8500 miles of driving, and the software updates have been transparent to me and made no difference whatsoever in the unit's basic functionality over that time. I have also found the customer reporting on their website useful at times, though not vital, by any means. I'm quite happy to be a "beta-tester" for them, since I received this EVSE for free, saving me $2000 out of pocket on my EV purchase.

...they have dreams of making it into a advertising billboard with cobbled together technology.
You must be talking about the commercial charging stations here. AFAIK, there are no plans to put "advertising billboards" on the home units.

TT

EVDRIVER said:
For those using it wireless it has issues with special characters for passwords like "*" so if you use al alpha or numeric passwords you leave your network security very poor. Rather than fix this issue they just ask you to use an access point, more dumbness.

I'd have to agree that the Wi-Fi implementation on their blink unit is extremely poor. Other than two occasions since installation, the Blink has failed to connect to my local area network and the Internet. My phone and computer from the exact same location work perfectly fine, but the Blink does not despite acquiring an IP address from my wireless network. At least, Blink was willing to rectify the situation by sending out a powerline adapter for me to connect the Blink unit through LAN. Apparently, the wireless issues are widespread enough that there is a delay if you need them to send out a technician to install (since apparently the focus is currently on installing public chargers, probably to catch up to Chargepoint for the next time they request more government grants). The powerline unit itself is really just plug and play, so you would just need to figure how to best place the ethernet cable from the plug to Blink unit. I've only had it a couple days, but I can FINALLY get some of that data that Blink provides on their webpage.

ttweed said:
I have never had a single problem with my Blink unit or any failure to charge my car in 7 months and 8500 miles of driving, and the software updates have been transparent to me and made no difference whatsoever in the unit's basic functionality over that time. I have also found the customer reporting on their website useful at times, though not vital, by any means. I'm quite happy to be a "beta-tester" for them, since I received this EVSE for free, saving me $2000 out of pocket on my EV purchase.

TT

As with most things, some people have problems while others have not. I believe that most of my problems stemmed from the lack of internet connectivity through Wi-Fi prior to connecting the Blink through the powerline. Since my unit was running on 1.6 at the time, it would have the freeze screen from the 502 error code screen. On certain occasions, it would beep upon connecting the J1772 to the car but fail to charge. More often, the Blink timers would fail to initiate and the unit would immediately start charging the car upon plug-in rather than the appropriate time. As a final issue, the unit would occasionally claim that it was still "charging" despite the car having been fully charged and the unit unplugged from the vehicle.

For a unit that they are advertising as being roughly 1500 dollars in cost, it certainly doesn't meet my expectations, and I would not recommend someone to pay for this charger with its current crop of software issues. Despite the problems, I too am satisfied to be a beta-tester for them just because it has ultimately saved me money.

I've been hard wired from day one and never had a single issue. I have come upon it during a update and just left it alone till the normal screen comes up. Glad to be a Beta Tester, and from what I've seen with the development of technical diving equipment, things could be a lot worse. I do hope they have figured out whatever issues there have been so it's smooth sailing from here. if their public infrastructure is not 99.99% reliable, then it's going to get ugly when people get stranded at malfunctioning charging stations.

g

ttweed said:
EVDRIVER said:
Blink still needs updates to get a very basic appliance to work properly. It is dysfunctional and overly complicated and adds no real reporting value to customers.

...they have dreams of making it into a advertising billboard with cobbled together technology.
You must be talking about the commercial charging stations here. AFAIK, there are no plans to put "advertising billboards" on the home units.

TT

SilverLeaf said:

Version 1.0.20111117

Yes, I'm part of this beta program (as opposed to the general beta program that all owners of a Blink unit have been a part of).

Mine got updated, too and so far, everything's OK. Only difference I've noticed is that when it and the LEAF go through their little dance upon plug-in (the LEAF waiting for its timer to go off), instead of displaying "Not charging" it says "Ready to charge".

No word from the Blink folks yet.

ttweed said:
I have never had a single problem with my Blink unit or any failure to charge my car in 7 months and 8500 miles of driving, and the software updates have been transparent to me and made no difference whatsoever in the unit's basic functionality over that time. I have also found the customer reporting on their website useful at times, though not vital, by any means. I'm quite happy to be a "beta-tester" for them, since I received this EVSE for free, saving me $2000 out of pocket on
TT
Normally, I don't pile on to points already made, but the above statement is so much at odds with the atrocious performance of the Blink unit I've had that I couldn't let it pass. I've been keeping a small diary of the unit's antics since its installation at the end of September. There are twenty entries in it so far, which averages out to about one every three or four days. Three or four of the entries just report mild anomalies, like the unit being unable to tell when the car is attached and/or removed, but the rest of them resulted in "failure to charge". Luckily, I can squeeze two roundtrip commutes out of one 80% charge, so only the single pair of successive-day failures impacted my working schedule.

Its behavior seems to have improved since the on-site servicing the installer did a couple weeks ago; there have only been three failure-to-charge incidents since then. But hey, the powerline Ethernet modem set they installed to work around the Blink designer's inability to get whatever off-the-shelf wireless modules they bought to work at least put the Blink back onto the Internet so I got the firmware update. And it hasn't been confused as to whether the car was plugged in or not since the repair (which also exchanged its SD memory card).

And in fairness, I can say that the failures-to-charge all now seem to be caused by the same thing: an alleged "Power Fault". There's a small chance, I suppose, that the LEAF's charger generates a transient when it starts up (about half the time, the LEAF's display shows a yellow exclamation point "system warning" indicator on the next startup following one of these Blink incidents), but my tendency is to suspect the system that is already plainly deficient in other ways. And in any case, I object to the Blink's failure to implement a retry mechanism. It's willing to reconnect and deliver charging current if I "touch the display screen anywhere", but I find that this is inconvenient when the startup "Power Fault" occurred at 3:30 AM (when the LEAF's charging timer kicked in). So why not automatically retry after allowing two or three minutes for a human to intercede if they're within hearing of the Blink's plaintive beeping?

After these twenty or so charging failures, I've taken the Forum's advice, and reconfigured the LEAF timers to allow charging to begin at cord-attach time, any time of the day (I still like the idea of terminating charge at 80%), and I'll just give up on trying to make things easy for the power company by deferring charging 'till the wee smalls.

Envious congratulations to ttweed for having one of the few (or maybe the only) correctly-functioning Blink units. Hmm. I don't know how to set up one of these "show of hands" Forum polls, but I'd be curious to see how many Blink users have problems, on a percentage basis. If problems are indeed rare, then why wouldn't the supplier be willing to swap one of the thousands of perfect units for my one bad apple?

ttweed said:
EVDRIVER said:

TT

Are you sure about that, and I meant residential ;) My Blink worked for many months then developed issues but it still is a functional nightmare and the interface remains a modern electronic joke. I use my EVSE upgrade because it works and the cord is longer.

Levenkay said:
Envious congratulations to ttweed for having one of the few (or maybe the only) correctly-functioning Blink units.
Did you miss GaslessInSeattle's post above? I am not the only one. ;) There are multitudes of threads about the Blink and the EV project on these forums where you might be able to find another satisfied Blink user or two if you looked, but admittedly, the people with problems are the ones who post.

I read all the threads on the Blink unit before I got mine, and it seemed that 95% of the problems people were having were from the wireless connectivity (or lack thereof). I confirmed this with the head of construction for Ecotality in my area while scheduling my installation, and ran a Cat 5 ethernet cable from my router out to the garage before it was put in. Like George's, it has been hard-wired since day one and has never given me a problem. YMMV, especially if you can't easily hard-wire it.

EVDRIVER said:
ttweed said:
AFAIK, there are no plans to put "advertising billboards" on the home units.

Are you sure about that, and I meant residential ;)
Yes, I am sure that there are no plans "As Far As I Know," which is what I wrote. If you know differently, then please enlighten us as to the plans and your source of information.

... the interface remains a modern electronic joke.
What do you do with "the interface?" I have not looked at the screen on the Blink unit much at all since I entered my TOU rates when I first got it. I use the Leaf's timer exclusively and just plug the thing in at night and listen for the beeps and clunks and the light flashing on the dash. I really have no need to play with the Blink's "interface" so it doesn't bother me at all that it's clunky. I ignore it. I guess I'm just not the sophisticated and demanding user that you are. :mrgreen:

TT

I am with TT.
I have an ethernet connection, which was installed for me by Ecotality after the WIFI proved problematic.
It charges without fail.
I would like to have accurate monthly data from the Blink, but not enough to put in my own meter.
It works and it was almost free.

Back