blink charger questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkshack

I recently had the blink charging station from ecototality installed. It has worked great as a charger and generally charges quicker than my leaf says it will take.

I have some questions though. How accurate is the display on the screen as far as how much electricty I am using?

How musch electricty does the charging station use when not charging the car (the display sure is bright).

Is any electricty used when the car is plugged in but not charging or using any climate controll?

Thanks

rkshack

The kW h used is very accurate. When my LEAF was new, a one hour L2 charge would use 3.8kW h.
There's a screen timeout/standby setting, so then it will use about 2W when the screen is off.
When you plug in and not charging or using the HVAC, no electricity is used.

rkshack said:
I recently had the blink charging station from ecototality installed. It has worked great as a charger and generally charges quicker than my leaf says it will take.
Good to hear that you qualified for the EV Project.
rkshack said:
I have some questions though. How accurate is the display on the screen as far as how much electricty I am using?
Not sure, but I don't recall anyone saying that it was inaccurate when compared to data from their meter or TED.
rkshack said:
How musch electricty does the charging station use when not charging the car (the display sure is bright).
Phil measured it last year, and found that it draws about 20 Watt when idle. While the display might be a contributing factor, it's more likely the embedded Linux computer that's pulling some current to stay awake.
rkshack said:
Is any electricty used when the car is plugged in but not charging or using any climate controll?
The Leaf is not drawing any current when it sits plugged in, and not charging. That said, it's not advisable to leave the car like that for over five days. This apparently keeps the onboard electronics waiting for a charge event, which can eventually drain the 12 V auxiliary battery. Hope this helps.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9118&start=50#p225095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8970&start=10#p207532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can go into the settings to dim the display to minimum level, and also to set the display timeout of minimum amount (1 minute???) too.

Volusiano said:
You can go into the settings to dim the display to minimum level, and also to set the display timeout of minimum amount (1 minute???) too.
Will those steps lower the power draw?

Does that mean it draws 4.8 kwh a day?

Currently my screen does not time out.

Rkshack

My BLINK EVSE times out once in a while, other times it does not. As far as the kWh cost estimator, its very accurate. I compare the rate vs the electricity bill (not tiered, straight .11kWh 24/7) and look at last years bill, and prior months, its almost right on the mark. Maybe $1-2 off. but other than that, its good. Last month we did our most charging yet at $75, most months are $40.

Back