BC to BC: A Challenge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

What say we start a challenge. Tijuana, Baja California, all the way up to Vancouver, British Columbia. BC to BC. Set a date ... meet up in San Diego ... get the press involved ... super PR for EV's. I'll put up the 1st dollar for the winner.

Anyone see , "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines? ... a 1960's comedy movie set about 50 years earlier. In the movie, early airplane adapters pushed the envelope within the realm of flight. Sponsors put up money to encourage the early clap trap airplanes to fly from England to Paris. The movie was similar to, "The Great Race" (Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood) ... a NY to Paris auto race comedy movie. I was about 9 years old when we saw it at the drive in (ok, some of you don't know what that is :D ) ... but to me, it was really inspiring to see what we could do.

Have we lost our edge to take those kind of risks? I remember from WW II history we had prop planes for fighters and bombers. By 1959 ... what ... 15-ish years later, we were designing the SR-71 Blackbird, a jet that had dual jet engines with 16 tons of thrust each, & could fly a constant mach 3 ... taking high rez pic's of a 30 mile wide swatch across the U.S. in an hour.

EV'rs - come one, come all. Anyone else willing to risk a dollar ... doubling the kitty? The Great Race-EV .... open to any EV, factory or home brew. Set up a date ... get your mug in the paper ... maybe go down in the guinness book of world records? Too grandiose? Just a thought. If such a thing took off, surprisingly, 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' actually gave me permission to go for it! ( I almost fell over ). Has any one brought up such a wacky idea already? I do like the catchy title. It was my wife's idea.

(no traveling pit crew with massive 40Kw Cummings diesel gen set allowed ... that'd take the fun out of it ;) )

I had thought about “racing” the MINI E against a Volt, LEAF, and iMiEV from Balboa Park chargers in San Diego to LA Auto Show at the Convention Center on $4 (1 gallon of gas for the Volt), public charging being free. Modeling showed LEAF and iMiEV uncompetitive due to 3.3kW charger, but Volt and MINI E were close. A gas vs 6.6kW charger match-up. Wining strategy looked to be driving slower (so charging less) to win. Not sure this would have been a good media event for EVs.

To relive the excitement of a cross country EV trip (Focus Electric w/ 6.6kW charger), check out The Electric Challenge Begins! Tab thru posts at the top of the page.

Looks like about 1400 miles...9 or 10 days up and 9 or 10 days back...Of course, there are some places (at least that I know of) in Central California where there aren't enough charging stations yet, such as Atascadero to Monterey/Carmel, etc.

It does sound very interesting, though....

Randy said:
Looks like about 1400 miles...9 or 10 days up and 9 or 10 days back...Of course, there are some places (at least that I know of) in Central California where there aren't enough charging stations yet, such as Atascadero to Monterey/Carmel, etc.

It does sound very interesting, though....
Ciudad del Rey Motel and Trailer Park, King City, CA bring your modified EVSE

In 2009, two Brammo employees rode two Brammo electric motorcycles from Detroit to Washington D.C. to try to give them to the President, to send a message: please encourage use of electric powered transportation. If you didn't know about that effort, that should probably be the first lesson: the difficult part is not just in making the trip; the difficult part is getting enough publicity.

Back