Battery life question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if anyone can reliably predict.
Nor do I think an extended warranty would address the elephant in the room. (HV battery)

Would be far more comforting to get a scan of the car with LeafSpy though.

I purchased a used single owner 2018 a few months ago. 18,000 miles. LeafSpy scan was pretty good, in my opinion. Have driven it a fair amount for 6 months. It's been dead reliable and LeafSpy has shown it as very stable battery wise.

I don't know if anyone can reliably predict.
Nor do I think an extended warranty would address the elephant in the room. (HV battery)

Would be far more comforting to get a scan of the car with LeafSpy though.

I purchased a used single owner 2018 a few months ago. 18,000 miles. LeafSpy scan was pretty good, in my opinion. Have driven it a fair amount for 6 months. It's been dead reliable and LeafSpy has shown it as very stable battery wise.
Thanks. What is LeafSpy?

Where are you buying this car from?(dealer or individual) How good a deal? Have you checked it with LeafSpy? The fact it has so few miles and so much time what was the condition the car was stored in? Even LeafSpy can leave you with a false impression because if the car has not driven much lately as the miles show then the BMS might give old readings that won’t be reliable until it’s driven for enough time that it gets the adjustment period out of the way.

LeafSpy is an app available for iOS or Android that connects to the car with an OBD2 Dongle and lets you scan the car for information stored in the BMS etc

How much does LeafSpy app cost? How much does OBB2 Dongle cost? What is the best one and how difficult (or not) is it to install? I’m not particularly mechanically inclined. Are there any good YouTube videos about this?

There are various OBD2 dongles out there but you can get a decent one for $20. The last time I checked LeafSpyPro was $10 but you can check your app store to find out. It's pretty easy to use and I'm sure there are some YouTube videos about it but I've never looked.

Thanks. FYI: LeafSpy app is $19.99. I just wonder how hard the OBD3 device is to install
I think it’s OBD2 not 3 and the hardest part is finding the port to plug it into (which isn’t really). In my car, a2019, the port was behind a cover under the steering wheel. The things are standardized and literally just slot in. I followed the instructions on the LeafSpy site and turned stuff on and bought the suggested dongle (which was apparently a $10 premium as other people seemed to find stuff that worked for less) but I wanted something that worked out of the box guaranteed and that did.

I think it’s OBD2 not 3 and the hardest part is finding the port to plug it into (which isn’t really). In my car, a2019, the port was behind a cover under the steering wheel. The things are standardized and literally just slot in. I followed the instructions on the LeafSpy site and turned stuff on and bought the suggested dongle (which was apparently a $10 premium as other people seemed to find stuff that worked for less) but I wanted something that worked out of the box guaranteed and that did.
What’s was the brand of the OBD2 Dongle that you bought?

I don’t recall. I just hit the button on the description which was a link to Amazon and it came in the mail. It was $30. I suspect a Bluetooth OBD2 is a Bluetooth OBD2. At the time I wasn’t into doing the research that might save me money though.

Back