Battery failure due to leak

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracboo

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone is having or have had this issue - our leaf 2018 had a fault come up the other day 'Service EV System - Unable to restart after power off' we took straight to Nissan dealer workshop as was in middle of school drop off's as worried if we turned off it really wouldn't start (it really doesn't start again) anyway the mechanic said it'll be something small don't worry - 5 days later they've said massive battery fault due to battery leak, we're not covered under the 8 year warranty as we've done 113k miles - they've said the only place to get repaired is Gateshead Newcastle and it'll will cost £6-£13k :shock: - I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue if car is being used like a normal petrol car??? we are really careful not to overcharge, cool down etc etc. and just gutted that we have no car at present unless we find thousands of pounds.... clearly i'm frustrated as any savings we've ever made will be used plus more to repair for a 5 year old car.... this is our 2nd leaf (we upgraded from original style) and my worry now is will this happen every 5 years or 100+k miles??

tracboo said:
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone is having or have had this issue - our leaf 2018 had a fault come up the other day 'Service EV System - Unable to restart after power off' we took straight to Nissan dealer workshop as was in middle of school drop off's as worried if we turned off it really wouldn't start (it really doesn't start again) anyway the mechanic said it'll be something small don't worry - 5 days later they've said massive battery fault due to battery leak, we're not covered under the 8 year warranty as we've done 113k miles - they've said the only place to get repaired is Gateshead Newcastle and it'll will cost £6-£13k :shock: - I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue if car is being used like a normal petrol car??? we are really careful not to overcharge, cool down etc etc. and just gutted that we have no car at present unless we find thousands of pounds.... clearly i'm frustrated as any savings we've ever made will be used plus more to repair for a 5 year old car.... this is our 2nd leaf (we upgraded from original style) and my worry now is will this happen every 5 years or 100+k miles??

Many topics in the UK are better covered in a UK forum, this forum has mostly USA membership. Perhaps:

https://www.speakev.com/

"Battery leak?" I'm not even sure what that might be. Failed cell, and leaking fluid into the rest of the battery? Battery case leak, leading to water in the battery case? Both would be very bad, and both would be fairly unusual.

Hi all
My Nissan Leaf 71 plate done this on 8th March, RAC recovered me to my home reset the diagnostic so I could drive it to my dealer on 1st April. As it was a holiday weekend I went to drop my car off a few days earlier it wouldn't start, my 12V battery was flat so RAC assist came out got me started and followed me to dealers. Same as you EV system when powered off will not power on again. There was a recall due on my car to do with cruise control. The dealer called me the day after I dropped it off to sy my car was fixed and I could collect, it just needed faults reset. I had the car back 2 days and the same happened so this time I drove it straight to the dealer and left it. They called today to tell me there is a leak in battery and it's off to Gateshead on 16th April to be repaired. I'm not happy as I asked if this was dangerous and a fire risk as it had been sitting outside my house for 2 weeks. God know when I will get it back to be honest I don't even want it back.

In both cases it is likely a HV battery continuity leak to the chassie, in other words one cell or module is electrically connected to the cars metal chassie. The DTC would help narrow it down, but by the description, that is what it sounds like. Why or how this happened is another story and can not be known until the pack is opened and inspected.
It can be from something impacting the battery case, it can be from cells that have swelled and leaked some of their guts, making an electrical path to the battery case.
It does happen but is not real common. Age doesn't necessarily play a roll, not something that all batteries experience many go a full lifetime and die of other causes.
In a petrol car, it would be somewhat equivalent to having a big end on a rod go, a big problem and requires a lot of work and money to repair, but not every car will have it happen.

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone is having or have had this issue - our leaf 2018 had a fault come up the other day 'Service EV System - Unable to restart after power off' we took straight to Nissan dealer workshop as was in middle of school drop off's as worried if we turned off it really wouldn't start (it really doesn't start again) anyway the mechanic said it'll be something small don't worry - 5 days later they've said massive battery fault due to battery leak, we're not covered under the 8 year warranty as we've done 113k miles - they've said the only place to get repaired is Gateshead Newcastle and it'll will cost £6-£13k :shock: - I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue if car is being used like a normal petrol car??? we are really careful not to overcharge, cool down etc etc. and just gutted that we have no car at present unless we find thousands of pounds.... clearly i'm frustrated as any savings we've ever made will be used plus more to repair for a 5 year old car.... this is our 2nd leaf (we upgraded from original style) and my worry now is will this happen every 5 years or 100+k
My advice is to park the car in front of the main entrance of the Nissan factory in Sunderland. I tried to do this with mine, but I'm too far away. I have also had this problem for 2 years, and no one helped me, even though Nissan knows about the problem. There are quite a few cars in this situation. I've been living under stress with the car for 2 years, I keep deleting the error every time I have to start it or charge it. Moreover, the only solution is to buy another used battery, to change it. It costs much less.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1694516986312.jpg
    FB_IMG_1694516986312.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1667847213810.jpg
    FB_IMG_1667847213810.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220809-064356_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-064356_WhatsApp.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220607-151539_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220607-151539_Chrome.jpg