Average Insurance Rate for a 2012 SL Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jopeters

What is the normal Car Insurance Rate for a 2012 Nissan LEAF™ SL?

I will be leasing for 3 years with a good credit rating.

jopeters said:

THere is no way to do such a comparison as there are far too many variables by driver, zip code, coverage. etc, etc.

jopeters said:

It will cost you as much as any other $35K car would cost you to insure. Depends on your driving history, zip code etc.

Sounds good, I just didn't want a outrages rate. I'm new to the Electric car Leaf, so I am trying to educate myself and family. I have a good credit rating and driving record, so I should be fine...... ;)

jopeters said:

I called USAA when first considering a Leaf and there were no appreciable differences from an equivalent value car in the same location. There would be a slight reduction, however, because its annual mileage would be less than the ICE it almost replaces.

jopeters said:

If you live in CA, your premiums will probably be higher than someone in AZ, WA, OR, TX, etc. with the same driving record, etc. I believe I have one of the best rates of anyone in those four other states. USAA was much higher as well as Costco (Enterprise), and at least ten other companies. Here is my 6 mos. Safeco (used to be Colorado Casualty) quote with $100 ded comp (except $0 ded on glass) and $500 ded coll: $270.

LEAFfan said:
If you live in CA, your premiums will probably be higher than someone in AZ, WA, OR, TX, etc. with the same driving record, etc.
You are correct. Premiums are generally higher in CA, and especially so in major metro areas like Los Angeles. Several years back, we were out of state for about 6 months and saw our rate drop significantly because of the different "garaged at" location.

I think the important point of this thread is that there does not seem to be a difference in insurance rates just because the Leaf is new or all-electric. Now, if strong electromagnetic fields begin sucking other cars into Leaf fenders, the story may change. . . :shock: :lol:

All other things being mostly equal the rate for my Leaf is about $40 less per month than the Prius. My 2007 Prius costs $155.73/mo and my 2011 Leaf costs $113.70/mo. I have Farmer's Insurance and am an unmarried 22 year old male.

Up until a few months ago the Prius was costing me $205/mo and from 07-09 it was $270/mo. Sucks to be young sometimes.

jopeters said:

Well, I ran a mock quote from GEICO for a Nissan Leaf and here is what I got:
$170.39 per month for 6 months

Includes:
BI: $100k/$300k
PD: $50k
Medical payments: $5k
Uninsured and underinsured motorist: $25k/$50k
Comprehensive and collision: $1k deductible

Pretty steep and that INCLUDES almost $828 worth of discounts. I ran this mock quote using my ZIP (I live in Denver).

Does anyone know of any car insurance company honoring electric cars for what they are? I had to cancel my multi-car policy with Progressive because a) the Leaf wasn't listed in their database and b) after a few calls and emails the quote they sent me was outrageous. The first customer representative I talked to even thought that I wanted to insure a golf cart ("we don't insure open electric vehicles"). I looked up AAA the other day and same thing, Nissan Leaf wasn't part of their database. Are there any EV friendly insurance companies out there?

I guess I should have looked at the insurance numbers before the pre-order.
GEICO 6 months of full covereage runs higher than that for my 2009 Corvette Z06!
Go frigging figure! :shock:

As mentioned earlier, lots and lots of variables but as were also listing our insurance carrier experience, I've been a long time with Allstate and my '12 LEAF I have was within $5 every 6 months with what I paid for the '06 Mazda3 5-door GT it was replacing ... we always add new car replacement (for the first 2 years) which covers you if the car somehow gets totaled and needs to be replaced (covers depreciation, you still get a new vehicle w/o paying more for it) so felt this was a great rate, no annual mileage change. I guess it really depends also if you're a multi-car family as most agents will match the best rate with the driver, etc. For instance, we have a minivan and two cars as well as a limited use car on another policy; the minivan has our son as the primary driver as it costs the least to insure, versus putting him on a higher cost to insure car --- we found if we kept that limited use car on the main policy (a '99 Miata of all things), it boosted our rates even though the son can't drive it (stick shift plus his feet are too big to fit) so it's on its own policy now. It always pays to check with your agent BEFORE you buy it so you don't get surprised ...

TonyWilliams said:
HighDesertDriver said:
I called USAA when first considering a Leaf and there were no appreciable differences from an equivalent value car in the same location.

USAA added my LEAF for $370-ish for 6 months.

USSA has my 2112 leaf w/ $100 deductable at $509.71 / 6 months In Pennsylvania (Rural)

I have 7 Cars, and I think that's a little high actually.
My HMMWV is only $310.90 / 6 months
She explained it's all up to each states actuary numbers, and apparently there are not enough Data in PA on Leafs yet (Duh!)
So there you go.

Anybody in PA getting a better Rate.

Here is the quote I received from GEICO. I called to ask about the high rate. They mentioned the repair costs are very high, limited data, few repair centers, and few after market parts (/junk yard parts)
I have a Class A CDL with all endorsements including HAZMAT and no tickets for 10 years.
North Seattle ZIP Code, 6 months coverage, same miles; daily driver quote:
  • $397.00 2012 Nissan Leaf
    $383.30 2009 Chevy Corvette Z06

These cost more than the vette: :(
  • Bodily Injury
    Property Damage
    Collision
This costs less:
  • Comprehensive
The rest where the same.

KillaWhat said:
TonyWilliams said:
HighDesertDriver said:
I called USAA when first considering a Leaf and there were no appreciable differences from an equivalent value car in the same location.

USAA added my LEAF for $370-ish for 6 months.

USSA has my 2112 leaf w/ $100 deductable at $509.71 / 6 months In Pennsylvania (Rural)

I have 7 Cars, and I think that's a little high actually.
My HMMWV is only $310.90 / 6 months
She explained it's all up to each states actuary numbers, and apparently there are not enough Data in PA on Leafs yet (Duh!)
So there you go.

Anybody in PA getting a better Rate.

I called Geico after reading the previous post(s)
Even as a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics discount they quoted $674.53 / 6 months in Pennsylvania
I ran the same quote for a Delaware address, with all the same info, and Geico came back with $603.70 / 6 months in Delaware

Wow, this seems high

LEAFfan said:
jopeters said:

If you live in CA, your premiums will probably be higher than someone in AZ, WA, OR, TX, etc. with the same driving record, etc.
Yep to LEAFfan. When I was interning at a company in WA, my roommate changed his insurance from the 90024 zip code (UCLA campus zip) to the zip in WA. IIRC, he mentioned his insurance became only 1/2 or 1/3 of what it was in So Cal.

To quote from http://my350z.com/forum/2910760-post29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Q: How much will my insurance cost? How much are you paying for insurance, I want to compare to see if I'm paying a fair price?

Please don't ask that question. Ever. It is the most useless question that can be asked on this or any other automotive forum. Why? What you, I and anybody else pays is dependent on several factors: who your insurer is, where you live, how old you are, how many accidents/tickets you've had, what kind of discounts you get from your ins. company, how many cars and drivers in your family, etc.

As you can see, unless somebody is in exactly the same socio-economic situation as you are, they won't be paying the same for insurance. The only way to get a decent idea of what you'll pay is to call your current insurance agent or visit their website.
In some states, the # of miles you drive annually can affect your rate. There's also HUGE variation depending on how much coverage you have (in terms of limits, whether you have certain coverage at all), what your deductibles are. Even your credit rating can affect your insurance rates.

zevrulz said:
I had to cancel my multi-car policy with Progressive because a) the Leaf wasn't listed in their database and b) after a few calls and emails the quote they sent me was outrageous. The first customer representative I talked to even thought that I wanted to insure a golf cart ("we don't insure open electric vehicles"). I looked up AAA the other day and same thing, Nissan Leaf wasn't part of their database. Are there any EV friendly insurance companies out there?

Wow, that is interesting. Progressive insured my 2011 Leaf with no problem or questions a month ago. The rate was basically the same as what the Prius was. The one potential question now is if the Snapshot device will work so I can get the 30% discount, like I have on the Prius.

Wow, that is interesting. Progressive insured my 2011 Leaf with no problem or questions a month ago.
They may have taken my rant seriously then :)
The rate was basically the same as what the Prius was. The one potential question now is if the Snapshot device will work so I can get the 30% discount, like I have on the Prius.
What do you mean by that?

Back