Average energy efficiency always the same....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've driven very efficiently, and I've driven it like a hot rod, and it seems that I always get about 4 mpk.

Sure, I see a slight fluctuation, 3.9 or 4.2, but I find it hard to believe that it's that constant.

Anyone else notice this, or can ome one explain why it's so constant?

You are seeing a long-term average, using data gathered after this "average" was last reset. So, how you drive today will not change a several-month average very much.

Both averages (dash and Nav) can be reset separately.

garygid said:
You are seeing a long-term average, using data gathered after this "average" was last reset. So, how you drive today will not change a several-month average very much.

Both averages (dash and Nav) can be reset separately.
I'm pressing the "reset history and add to average" button. So it does clear it, but very shortly after its cleared, it's hovering around 4...

I can't believe some people are able o get it under 3 or over 5.

I've put over 4,000 miles on my leaf in 2.5 months, and love it. But don't understand why It's energy usage is reported so constant, while I can 'burn' through a charge vey rapidly.

Is there something else I should reset?

What do you mean by "hot rod?" Are you actually driving faster? Jack-rabbit acceleration doesn't really have a big impact on efficiency (in fact if you have timed lights and set your speed to match, accelerating quickly actually improves your efficiency). What's most important is how fast you cruise at and how well you brake.

TickTock said:
What do you mean by "hot rod?" Are you actually driving faster? Jack-rabbit acceleration doesn't really have a big impact on efficiency (in fact if you have timed lights and set your speed to match, accelerating quickly actually improves your efficiency). What's most important is how fast you cruise at and how well you brake.
I cruise the freeway faster - 75 instead of low 60's. I would say that I always brake with the intention of capturing as much as possible. My commute is 120 miles or more a day.

My girlfriend commented today that the 4 mpk may as well be painted on... Lol!

Maybe I should try another high speed run on the freeway.

Splittinglanes said:
TickTock said:
I cruise the freeway faster - 75 instead of low 60's. I would say that I always brake with the intention of capturing as much as possible. My commute is 120 miles or more a day.

My girlfriend commented today that the 4 mpk may as well be painted on... Lol!

Maybe I should try another high speed run on the freeway.

Heck man, if you're getting 4 mpk and running 75mph on the freeway, then you gotta show me how to do that!

My long term avg is somewhere around 4.2 and my wife's avg is around 3.7 mpk. Since she drives the car more than I do, the overall average for us is pretty steady at around 3.8 if I don't reset the thing.

I commute from South San Jose to Mountain View, straight up 85. I use the dash average M/KWh meter, resetting it every morning. If I do 70-75 (HOV lane), I'll typically end up with 3.4 - 3.6. Even at 65, I'll be lucky to get close to 4.0.

The only times I see 4.0 or better is if I'm doing a lot of surface streets or I'm trying to stretch my range and doing 55.

Back