Auto Club's EVSEs Up & Running

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

Just read this in the local So Cal Auto Club mag;

nc97c.jpg

In short - EVSE's are now running in L.A. & Costa Mea Auto Clubs. Good!

yup, if you run out of juice during bankers hours, you can get served.
what I would really like to hear about from AAA -- member for 30+ years -- is whatever happened to the "tow" trucks with QC chargers.

LA AAA headquarters is at Figueroa and Adams rather near USC, Expo Park, Staples Center. Too bad it won't be available on weekends and after hours. Thank yoiu, hill for posting this.

so it will be off during non business hours? i read it to say, if the business is open, check in (for sales pitch i am sure)

are the stations gated? i guess we need someone to swing by on the weekend to find out whether they have power or not

DaveinOlyWA said:
so it will be off during non business hours? i read it to say, if the business is open, check in (for sales pitch i am sure)

are the stations gated? i guess we need someone to swing by on the weekend to find out whether they have power or not

the facilities have gated areas.

With those operating hours, they are pretty much worthless for the masses. I suspect that are more to charge their own EVs and that they are just trying to garner a little publicity. If they wanted to add some real value and make an impact, install a QC.

hill said:
Just read this in the local So Cal Auto Club mag.

Kataphn said:
LA AAA headquarters is at Figueroa and Adams rather near USC, Expo Park, Staples Center. Too bad it won't be available on weekends and after hours. Thank yoiu, hill for posting this.
Delighted -
Our local auto club is open on saturdays for at least a half day . . . . aren't all of them?
TomT said:
With those operating hours, they are pretty much worthless for the masses. I suspect that are more to charge their own EVs and that they are just trying to garner a little publicity. If they wanted to add some real value and make an impact, install a QC.
"club" is the operative word. AAA doesn't intend their EVSE's to be for the masses - but rather for members only - eventually. I'm thinking their installs are a form of marketing in hopes of getting new business from the EV coimmunity. We'll see how it works out.

hill said:
Our local auto club is open on saturdays for at least a half day . . . . aren't all of them?
Hey, Hill. Unfortunately, this one is not open on Saturdays. Only M-F 9-5p.

hill said:
"club" is the operative word. AAA doesn't intend their EVSE's to be for the masses - but rather for members only - eventually. I'm thinking their installs are a form of marketing in hopes of getting new business from the EV coimmunity. We'll see how it works out.
Dropped by the Costa Mesa location over the weekend. Prior to use, you need to "Visit SMOG Center for Access" (about a 100 ft away) for them to activate one of the two AV units. There is an additional small 'box' mounted on these units that presumably is for remote switching. Though AAA states that this is for members and public use, the hours and the need to request access will likely discourage the casual public user. But, could still be nice for some opportunity charging while you're here for 'business'.

FWIW, the Costa Mesa IKEA with three Blinks is just south of here.

In downtown Los Angeles, you can call AAA and request a quick charge. They are not available 24 hours though. I called at 2am once and they said the truck was off-duty. Also, their radius was somewhat ambiguous. I asked how far from downtown they would come and they said "only the downtown area".
But, it's a free mobile DC quick charge. Pretty neat.

Volusiano said:
AAA offices in Phoenix have L2 stations in their parking lots. They seem to be available after hours.
The Chargepoint information lists Level 2 chargers at the AAA in Tampa. Fairly close to the Tampa Airport. I was contemplating using one to get me back from the airport when I fly out of Tampa (69 miles from home). I'll have to call and find out the hours of operation.

Back